Pod Your Reef

Kindanewtothis

Thinking about going back to my old lighting settings. Anemone and corals look bad. Had other polyps bailout while sucking the dinos off the frogspawn.

Doing the light test for dinos in the 10g to be sure.

58 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Had other polyps bailout while sucking the dinos off the frogspawn.

Have you been testing alkalinity lately?

59 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Thinking about going back to my old lighting settings.

I agree as far as intensity.

Kindanewtothis
1 hour ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Doing the light test for dinos in the 10g to be sure

Not a trace in the light test.

19 minutes ago, seabass said:

Have you been testing alkalinity lately?

Yes I did, 9.2.

27 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Yes I did, 9.2.

Without me digging through this thread, is alkalinity consistently stable?

The range of acceptable alkalinity is pretty wide.  It's certainly possible to have harmful alkalinity swings that stay within the recommended range.

Kindanewtothis
On 7/2/2021 at 4:08 PM, Kindanewtothis said:
On 6/12/2021 at 9:13 PM, Kindanewtothis said:

Ca 500

KH 9.2

Mg 1400

Ca 480

KH 9.2

MG 1480

Kindanewtothis
25 minutes ago, seabass said:

Without me digging through this thread, is alkalinity consistently stable?

The range of acceptable alkalinity is pretty wide.  It's certainly possible to have harmful alkalinity swings that stay within the recommended range.

I was under the impression that I did not need to test Kh frequently because I only have one frogspawn frag. How often should I test it? And also Ca and Mg?

Stable alkalinity is important.  But with only a small amount of stony corals, it shouldn't change all that quickly.  I'd say that you should be able to predict what your tank's alkalinity level is before you test.  If you can't, then you aren't testing enough.

If things are pretty steady, then testing once a month might be enough.  If you start dosing, then you might have to test daily for awhile.  However, once a week is probably a good time frame until you can accurately predict what the result will be.

Personally, I don't feel that you need to test calcium or magnesium until you start dosing alkalinity.

• Thanks 1
Kindanewtothis

So far the zoas in the 10g do not seem to mind the amazon led lights. I see it as a test... a way to convince myself to get an AI prime for the 10g as well 🙂

20210705_180657.jpg

I don't see any parasites on your zoas. I see what looks like maybe a dead amphipod. As to the worm, I was going to say that it looked like a harmless bristleworm, but I think it was actually a fireworm. Do you have any closer pictures? 99% of worms like that one that arrive in reef tanks are beneficial detritivores, but a few are fireworms, which may pose a problem.

Kindanewtothis
11 hours ago, Tired said:

I don't see any parasites on your zoas. I see what looks like maybe a dead amphipod. As to the worm, I was going to say that it looked like a harmless bristleworm, but I think it was actually a fireworm. Do you have any closer pictures? 99% of worms like that one that arrive in reef tanks are beneficial detritivores, but a few are fireworms, which may pose a problem.

Thanks for your answer. It was identify by the LFS as a fireworm but they also told me that I probably already have some in my tank which I doubted (the 10g is only a few weeks old) I took no chances and discarded it. There was what I think is flat worms of the zoas that went away with the dip.

Kindanewtothis
5 hours ago, seabass said:

I don't feel you can judge that much on this.  It will likely open back up (probably yet today).

Still halfway under a rock but at least it's out.

20210706_155614.jpg

• Like 2
Kindanewtothis

Pods are still b.o. It won't be shipped this week and probably not next week. I've been offered to cancel my order.

Thinking about getting pods at my LFS. It's 7$ a bottle, I could get a s***load for what I paid on the website.

Any other store to recommand @Clown79 ?

10 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Pods are still b.o. It won't be shipped this week and probably not next week. I've been offered to cancel my order.

Thinking about getting pods at my LFS. It's 7$ a bottle, I could get a s***load for what I paid on the website.

Any other store to recommand @Clown79 ?

My lfs sold canada copepods. You could call around.

Unfotunately most sell tigger pods that i have seen, which i found didn't really change much.

Tisbe pods is what you want.

Do you know what pods your lfs is selling?

I have never seen pods for $7 at any store. $29/bottle is common.

• Like 1
Kindanewtothis
35 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Do you know what pods your lfs is selling?

No idea and I don't think they know either.

I'll keep my order with copepods, but I'll get pods from my LFS and start seeding the tank. Could the pods from my LFS affect the other pods I'll eventually receive?

2 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Could the pods from my LFS affect the other pods I'll eventually receive?

Possibly, but probably not all at once.  They will obviously compete for food (like phyto) and territory.  Some might be more prone to get filtered out, while others might be more likely to be eaten by predators (fish, crabs, coral, etc).  Eventually, after quite some time, you will likely see the different species of pods dwindle down to just a couple or even a monospecies.

21 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Out of stock.. 

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0141PSHRM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_i_KPGND23N20FFE05NFA1T

Also found another Canadian web site for pods... out of stock also...

Amazon.ca is horrible for reef products.

You'd be better off contacting the companies directly or other reef stores. 

Places like

candycorals,  https://candycorals.ca/products/algagen-tisbe-pods

coralreefshop burlington (they do ship if you call and arrange it)

Aquariumdepot.ca

https://www.jlaquatics.com/algagen-pods-apocyclops-8oz.html

There are a few stores in Quebec you could call.

• Like 2
Just now, Clown79 said:

Amazon.ca is horrible for reef products.

You'd be better off contacting the companies directly or other reef stores. 

Places like

candycorals,  https://candycorals.ca/products/algagen-tisbe-pods

coralreefshop burlington (they do ship if you call and arrange it)

Aquariumdepot.ca

https://www.jlaquatics.com/algagen-pods-apocyclops-8oz.html

There are a few stores in Quebec you could call.

Try facebook group ontario reef keepers. Lots of info and supplies there. Even ppl who culture their own pods

Just now, Clown79 said:

Kindanewtothis

Done, 3 x 16oz plus a small 6oz bottle of phyto (bigger bottles were out of stock or did not have the "live" mention)

I suppose seachem phyto is not as good?

• Kindanewtothis changed the title to Kinda's Large Tank Adventure (LTA)