Jump to content
Kindanewtothis

Kinda's "Magnificent" 50 and what not to do...

Recommended Posts

Kindanewtothis
3 minutes ago, seabass said:

I don't believe that a neon goby is a shrimp goby which forms a symbiotic relationship with a pistol shrimp.  Instead, you could try a yellow clown goby; both should be able to exist in a 10 gallon tank.

No they don't, I'll get something else to pair with the pistol shrimp.

 

Edit: LFS told me I could add another fish and the pistol shrimp later in the 10g and that the neon goby would not mind.

Share this post


Link to post
rough eye

i'm still trying to figure out if that 10 gallon was supposed to be a quarantine tank or a hospital tank. 

Share this post


Link to post
Kindanewtothis
8 hours ago, rough eye said:

i'm still trying to figure out if that 10 gallon was supposed to be a quarantine tank or a hospital tank. 

Haha, it was suppose to be a quarantine tank for the RG but it was a fail. I cannot add anymore fish in the 50g, so I'm trying to do something nice with the 10g.

Share this post


Link to post
Kindanewtothis

Slowly showing its face (the neon goby), even the brine shrimp seems big for it, gonna have to chop the mysis. It swims a little ( I know they are not big swimmers) but it's mostly hidding for the moment. Makes me think about the RG for now, I'm sure I'll see it more eventually.

 

Rocks are showing more colours in the 10g.

20210627_093525.jpg

20210627_094213.jpg

20210627_100311.jpg

20210627_175720.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Kindanewtothis

In the 50g, dinos are now on or near the corals.

 

Edit: cleaned the corals...

 

It's also on the anemone and it doesn't look good since a day or two.

 

Re-edit: I know you can't see s*** on the pictures.

20210627_094839.jpg

20210627_094819.jpg

20210627_094808.jpg

20210627_100804.jpg

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Kindanewtothis

🤬🤬🤬

20210627_150539.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Kindanewtothis

How bad is this?

20210628_175335.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Tired

Can't tell what it is, since it's all deflated. Put some water in there and take another picture. In general, photograph any unknown creatures in water, and keep them in water to keep them alive in case they're helpful. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Kindanewtothis
8 hours ago, Tired said:

Can't tell what it is, since it's all deflated. Put some water in there and take another picture. In general, photograph any unknown creatures in water, and keep them in water to keep them alive in case they're helpful. 

Too late I discarded it. I seemed dead. It was at the surface on the intake of my filter. Will put it in water if I find another one.

Share this post


Link to post
seabass

I'm thinking it was just an insect (versus a marine invert).  I'm not sure of species but maybe something similar to:

IMG_6646.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Kindanewtothis
6 hours ago, seabass said:

I'm thinking it was just an insect (versus a marine invert).  I'm not sure of species but maybe something similar to:

IMG_6646.jpg

I really looked like an iinsect indeed.

Share this post


Link to post
Kindanewtothis

Anemone doesn't look so good right now. It seemed ok this morning. Now it's a bit deflated.

 

Edit: it's mostly its colour that is unusual.

20210629_134231.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Clown79
1 hour ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Anemone doesn't look so good right now. It seemed ok this morning. Now it's a bit deflated.

 

Edit: it's mostly its colour that is unusual.

20210629_134231.jpg

You said you put your lights on acclimation mode? For how long?

 

This would effect the anemone.

 

Normally people acclimate the corals to lighting by placing them on the bottom and giving them time to acclimate to the lighring before slowly moving them up in the tank.

 

The acclimation mode is normally used when going from one type of lighting to another. So when you buy a new light, all inhabitants are acclimated. Or when changing the spectrum/strength of the light.

 

In your case, your lighting may have been lowered to acclimate 1 hammer but effected the anemone because it was used to stronger lighting. The change in lighting will also change the colouration of the anemone

Share this post


Link to post
Kindanewtothis
7 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

You said you put your lights on acclimation mode? For how long?

 

This would effect the anemone.

 

Normally people acclimate the corals to lighting by placing them on the bottom and giving them time to acclimate to the lighring before slowly moving them up in the tank.

 

The acclimation mode is normally used when going from one type of lighting to another. So when you buy a new light, all inhabitants are acclimated.

 

In your case, your lighting may have been lowered which would effect the anemone.

It was only on for 2 days.

 

It's sourrounded by dinos, could it be it?

Share this post


Link to post
seabass
54 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

In your case, your lighting may have been lowered to acclimate 1 hammer but effected the anemone because it was used to stronger lighting.

The frogspawn was likely suffering from insufficient lighting when it was purchased.  But I agree, acclimation mode lighting for this LPS shouldn't be required.

 

55 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

It's sourrounded by dinos, could it be it?

The coloration doesn't look bad to me; but you have the advantage of seeing it in person (and without having to view it from the lens of a camera).

 

Since the anemone shouldn't be consuming the dinos, I wouldn't think that toxicity is currently a problem.  However, obviously, you don't want dinos covering your corals, or the anemone.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Clown79
1 hour ago, Kindanewtothis said:

It was only on for 2 days.

 

It's sourrounded by dinos, could it be it?

Unless its consuming the dino's or dino's start covering it, it shouldn't be an issue.

 

When dino's start covering corals etc, thats when you start seeing a decline.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Kindanewtothis
2 hours ago, seabass said:

The coloration doesn't look bad to me; but you have the advantage of seeing it in person (and without having to view it from the lens of a camera).

Here is before (weeks ago) / now pictures.

 

It's half the size it use to be and color is not right.

 

I understand there is not much you can tell from the pics.

 

Maybe I'm just worried for my tank, I have to use the net to remove dinos from the surface (3rd pic)

20210608_113721.jpg

20210629_134231.jpg

20210629_144515.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Kindanewtothis

Anemone looks better, don't know what it was about. Will see tomorrow how it is.

 

Reduced the total light time, thinking about a blackout to reduces the dinos. Don't know how the anemone and the corals would react. Plus the fishs.

20210629_192534.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Clown79
1 hour ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Anemone looks better, don't know what it was about. Will see tomorrow how it is.

 

Reduced the total light time, thinking about a blackout to reduces the dinos. Don't know how the anemone and the corals would react. Plus the fishs.

20210629_192534.jpg

Black outs don't work so well for dino's.

 

Are you sucking them out every day?

Share this post


Link to post
Kindanewtothis
6 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Are you sucking them out every day?

I'm not because I thought that I had to stop water change. How can I vaccum the sand bed without changing one or two gallons? Should I filter the water after. If I'm correct you did something similar?

Share this post


Link to post
Clown79
37 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

I'm not because I thought that I had to stop water change. How can I vaccum the sand bed without changing one or two gallons? Should I filter the water after. If I'm correct you did something similar?

Did you go through what i did in my lagoon.

 

I used a turkey baster to suck them out every night. Ran that water through a filter sock stuffed with floss, and the water ran into a bucket, which was then poured back into the tank.

 

This reduces the dino's in the tank, prevents spread, light blockaged, and smothering of corals.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Tired

Anemones do occasionally shrink down for no obvious reason. If it changes only for a few hours, I wouldn't worry about it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Kindanewtothis

Should I keep on dosing nitrate? @Clown79 ?

 

I'm between 5 and 10.

 

Will get a turkey baster also... I don't have one. I used a small pipette to blow the dinos off the rocks which I don't do anymore to not spread the dinos.

20210630_162158.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Clown79
56 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Should I keep on dosing nitrate? @Clown79 ?

 

I'm between 5 and 10.

 

Will get a turkey baster also... I don't have one. I used a small pipette to blow the dinos off the rocks which I don't do anymore to not spread the dinos.

20210630_162158.jpg

My nitrates sat at 5the highest. My focal point was getting phos up as ihad 0. 

 

Things were controlled with all my actions but the dino's didn't go away until i seeded my tank with pods any phos got above 0.10

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Kindanewtothis

Anemone looks better and is bigger today. I don't think it likes having only 9 hours of total light (including 1h30 ramp up and 1h30 ramp down)

 

I've included pics of the dinos, getting a turkey baster tomorrow (today it's closed, Canada day), I have floss and a filter socks. Gonna try @Clown79 way the best I can.

20210701_131330.jpg

20210701_131321.jpg

20210701_131315.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recommended Discussions

×
×
  • Create New...