Jump to content
Kindanewtothis

Kinda's "Magnificent" 50 and what not to do...

Recommended Posts

seabass
34 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Ok you might not like this one. The RG re-home in another rock. I did not like how my tank looked with the new rock so I took it out and now it's back in the 10 gallons.

I kind of wanted the rock to cure in the 50 so it could develop a good biological filter for your goby + shrimp combo.  But since the basslet left of its own, I'm basically alright with this.

 

So now the question might be what to do with your 10 gallon tank?  Watch the ammonia level closely.  If it can clear all the ammonia (from around 2ppm) within a day, then it should be a decent shape.  If not, then you might have to consider trying to build up the biofilter.

 

Can you identify any non-bacterial or non-algae life in that tank (like pods, worms, sea stars, snails, etc)?

Share this post


Link to post
Kindanewtothis
9 minutes ago, seabass said:

So now the question might be what to do with your 10 gallon tank?  Watch the ammonia level closely.  If it can clear all the ammonia (from around 2ppm) within a day, then it should be a decent shape.  If not, then you might have to consider trying to build up the biofilter.

 

Can you identify any non-bacterial or non-algae life in that tank (like pods, worms, sea stars, snails, etc)?

I still haven't decide what I was gonna do with it. The goby/shrimp combo isn't decided yet. I think I'd like something that swims around and not just on the sandbed.

 

No life what's so ever in the 10 gallons, I'll check again the ammonia today.

20210610_123227.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
seabass

Without non-bacterial and non-algae life, you can use ammonium chloride to build up the biofilter (if necessary).  The process is to:

  • use ammonium chloride to dose ammonia up to 2ppm
  • wait for ammonia to drop to 0.25ppm
  • repeat until your tank can process 2ppm ammonia down to 0.25ppm within 24 hours

Then do a water change large enough to reduce nitrate to meet your target level (maybe between 5 and 10ppm).

 

20 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

I think I'd like something that swims around and not just on the sandbed.

As you get smaller, like this 10 gallon tank, there are less a less choices for swimming fish.  Personally, I would just enjoy watching the angelfish swim about the 50 gallon and not try to replicate that in a 10 gallon.

Share this post


Link to post
Kindanewtothis
19 minutes ago, seabass said:

Personally, I would just enjoy watching the angelfish swim about the 50 gallon and not try to replicate that in a 10 gallon.

You are probably right.

 

20 minutes ago, seabass said:

Without non-bacterial and non-algae life, you can use ammonium chloride to build up the biofilter (if necessary).  The process is to:

  • use ammonium chloride to dose ammonia up to 2ppm
  • wait for ammonia to drop to 0.25ppm
  • repeat until your tank can process 2ppm ammonia down to 0.25ppm within 24 hours

Then do a water change large enough to reduce nitrate to meet your target level (maybe between 5 and 10ppm).

I was thinking more letting it run for a few weeks and monitor ammonia until it drops, I guess by itself. Is there any sens to it?

Share this post


Link to post
seabass
10 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

I was thinking more letting it run for a few weeks and monitor ammonia until it drops, I guess by itself. Is there any sens to it?

I get the logic.  But 0ppm ammonia isn't the entire goal, having a working biofilter capable of supporting your planned bio-load is.

 

Now it's possible that the biofilter is (or will be) good enough to support the bio-load which you plan to stock this tank with.  That's why I requested you, "Watch the ammonia level closely.  If it can clear all the ammonia (from around 2ppm) within a day, then it should be a decent shape."  If it can't clear 2ppm of ammonia within a day, it's highly possible that ammonia will build up again (once you stock this tank).

Share this post


Link to post
Clown79

You could do a tailspot blenny or a small firefish in the 10g. Both are really nice fish that don't get big.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Jakesaw
2 hours ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Ok you might not like this one. The RG re-home in another rock. I did not like how my tank looked with the new rock so I took it out and now it's back in the 10 gallons.

They are your aquariums and  your fish. Doesn't really matter what others think.  Only you and your aquatic life.

 

Hopefully the RG likes his new home more than his old and won't miss the old rock.  With all the moving, maybe it's associated with too much stress.. :biggrin:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Kindanewtothis
1 hour ago, Clown79 said:

You could do a tailspot blenny or a small firefish in the 10g. Both are really nice fish that don't get big.

I like that firefish idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Clown79
16 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

I like that firefish idea.

Firefish are pretty but very skittish.

 

If you are lookibg for a fish with amazing character, eats algae, the blenny is the winner out of the 2

Share this post


Link to post
seabass

While it's arguable that all tanks should have a mesh or some other type of top on it, it would be an absolute must with a firefish (probably even with shrimp goby).

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Kindanewtothis
On 6/8/2021 at 6:46 PM, Kindanewtothis said:

Ammonia is still 2.4 today.

It's now 0.6 in the 10 gallons

Share this post


Link to post
Kindanewtothis
1 hour ago, seabass said:

While it's arguable that all tanks should have a mesh or some other type of top on it, it would be an absolute must with a firefish (probably even with shrimp goby).

There is a cover on the 10 gallons that covers most of it, would it be ok?

 

Also got that LED lights

20210610_171925.jpg

20210610_171900.jpg

20210610_171944.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Kindanewtothis

Nitrate in the 50 gallons, I think it's 5...

20210610_182913.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
seabass
5 hours ago, Kindanewtothis said:

There is a cover on the 10 gallons that covers most of it, would it be ok?

Nope, most is not good enough for a firefish.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Tired

Definitely not good enough. You need absolutely no gaps, even gaps that look too small for the fish to fit out. Should be easy enough to fix, though, you just need to figure out some way to cover that gap in the lid. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Clown79
30 minutes ago, Tired said:

Definitely not good enough. You need absolutely no gaps, even gaps that look too small for the fish to fit out. Should be easy enough to fix, though, you just need to figure out some way to cover that gap in the lid. 

True.

 

I had a firefish go through eggcrate and a bicolor blenny made it through 1/4 mesh. I had to double layer the mesh so the blenny could not fit.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Kindanewtothis

I've been trying to find something to cover my 50 but no success so far and I can't see how I could cover it all with the skimmer, filter in/out, etc

 

I guess the firefish is out of the question for the 10. I like symbiosis relations (like the clowns and anemone) so I suppose a blenny and a shrimp isn't such a bad idea after all. Need to chose the blenny and from what I know it needs to be a pistol shrimp.

Share this post


Link to post
Kindanewtothis

So, I still let it go where it wants?

20210611_071706.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
seabass

While maybe not quite as likely to jump as firefish, I believe they recommend tops for most shrimp gobies too.

 

1 minute ago, Kindanewtothis said:

So, I still let it go wherr it wants?

Don't mess with it.  Potentially, if you feel that something like flow or lighting is substantially off, you might make slight adjustments.  However, that's what it's doing when it decides to move (looking for an ideal spot).

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Kindanewtothis

"The Long Tentacle Anemone requires an aquarium with 4 inches of sand or rubble substrate in which it can hide."

 

It really looks like my anemone.

 

"Long Tentacle Anemone: Saltwater Aquarium Anemones for Marine Reef Aquariums" https://m.liveaquaria.com/product/626/?pcatid=626

 

Share this post


Link to post
seabass

It needs a spot to protect its foot.   While it might enjoy burying its foot in the substrate, a crevice in the rock is often sufficient.  Maybe somebody else can chime in here too, but I don't believe a 4" sand bed is absolutely required.

 

Just curious, what and how much are you feeding the anemone?

 

Sometimes they move to try to find more food.  Sometimes it's because the flow is too strong.  Sometimes it's to seek more or less light.  Sometimes it's to find better shelter for its foot.  I imagine they might move as their foot grows.  They often move during a blackout...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Kindanewtothis
22 minutes ago, seabass said:

It needs a spot to protect its foot.   While they might enjoy burying it's foot in the substrate, a crevice in the rock is often sufficient.  Maybe somebody else can chime in here too, but I don't believe a 4" sand bed is absolutely required.

 

Just curious, what and how much are you feeding the anemone?

 

Sometimes they move to try to find more food.  Sometimes it's because the flow is too strong.  Sometimes it's to seek more or less light.  Sometimes it's to find better shelter for its foot.  I imagine they might move as their foot grows.  They often move during a blackout...

I fed it 1/4 of a big raw shrimp last week. I feed it mysis twice a week. My feeling is that it is about the flow. Can you look and tell me if everything is pointing the right way?

 

Edit: the foot seems to be bigger than it was, and so is the whole anemone. I think it needed more space for its foot.

 

 

Also ammonia is 0 in the 10 gallons.

 

 

20210611_091048.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
seabass
9 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

I fed it 1/4 of a big raw shrimp last week

I know it'll take pretty large pieces, but I'd probably chop it up into pieces similar in size to its mouth.

 

11 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Can you look and tell me if everything is pointing the right way?

There's no one correct way.  But slightly upward (like you have it) is pretty common because it's not directly pointing at livestock and it provides better surface agitation.

Share this post


Link to post
Clown79
3 hours ago, Kindanewtothis said:

I've been trying to find something to cover my 50 but no success so far and I can't see how I could cover it all with the skimmer, filter in/out, etc

 

I guess the firefish is out of the question for the 10. I like symbiosis relations (like the clowns and anemone) so I suppose a blenny and a shrimp isn't such a bad idea after all. Need to chose the blenny and from what I know it needs to be a pistol shrimp.

Blenny and pistol don't have a relationship.

 

I suggested a blenny in addition to a goby/pistol.

 

The 3 will be fine in a 10g. Both fish are small.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Kindanewtothis

Ok so help my english "unreacted sample" that water from my tank without the powder in it?

If yes, I have a phosphate problem. Since my nitrate is 5 which I understand is low bu not so bad, should I get a phosphate remover for my filter?20210611_095517.thumb.jpg.11a111d61ec7822b5dc450da950835b9.jpg

20210611_095457.jpg

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recommended Discussions

×
×
  • Create New...