Pod Your Reef

Kindanewtothis
1 hour ago, rough eye said:

mew member sets up tank, new member rushes despite cautions from more experienced members

Yeah, that's me alright...

20210604_105722.jpg

I kind of figured we'd see a new fish today.  At least you're being forthcoming about what you are doing, and basically willing to listen.  I don't really feel that this is doomed to fail.

Watch this tank's ammonia level.  Some people use a Seachem Ammonia Alert Badge to constantly monitor ammonia in a new tank.  It's also nice to have a bottle of Seachem Prime around in case you have a small ammonia spike (as a precaution).

I just like to be sure before proceeding.  But like I said, if these rocks are good, I doubt you'll have a problem.

• Like 2

Nice fish.  Looks healthy. *fingerscrossed*

I'm a little surprised how new this rock looks.  You'd think that mature rock would be full of color and coralline algae.

• Like 2
Kindanewtothis
15 minutes ago, seabass said:

I'm a little surprised how new this rock looks.  You'd think that mature rock would be full of color and coralline algae.

That's because this rock was upside down, the colors are under. The lighting is terrible, I need to find a budget solution for it. Wasn't planning on adding a 3rd AI prime.

20210604_120004.jpg

20210604_120201.jpg

1 hour ago, Kindanewtothis said:

If there are no corals going in the tank, whatever light the tank came with is fine.

• Like 3
Kindanewtothis
17 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

If there are no corals going in the tank, whatever light the tank came with is fine.

It's simple light bulbs, the effect is terrible but I understand that anything will do for a fish only tank. 

Kindanewtothis
9 hours ago, seabass said:

Nice fish.  Looks healthy. *fingerscrossed*

It swam 5 minutes then he went in a hole in a rock, in a cave, and only came out once for a few seconds. It probably just need to settle in.

• Like 2

Luckily it doesn't have any tank mates to harass it. Although sometimes other fish swimming around makes a fish feel at ease.

Another nice thing about quarantine, is that they get a chance to acclimate to your food without having to compete with other fish.

Expect it to hide for awhile.  But eventually, it should gain confidence and hide less frequently.

• Like 1
Kindanewtothis

Just wondering how to feed it if it doesn't come out.

Update: It got out to eat a single brine shrimp and it went back to it's cave but at least now it's looking outside!

I know you have brine shrimp.  It's fine to entice fish with it, but it offers very little nutrition.  Switch to thawed frozen mysis; it's not as tasty, but most fish respond to it well.  It's alright if it doesn't eat for a few days; just keep trying a couple of times a day.  Some fish will explore the tank when you turn the pumps off; you might try that during feeding.  Other fish like the movement of the food caused by the water currents.  Give it some time.  If it's healthy is should start eating soon enough.

Kindanewtothis
20 minutes ago, seabass said:

I know you have brine shrimp.  It's fine to entice fish with it, but it offers very little nutrition.  Switch to thawed frozen mysis; it's not as tasty, but most fish respond to it well.  It's alright if it doesn't eat for a few days; just keep trying a couple of times a day.  Some fish will explore the tank when you turn the pumps off; you might try that during feeding.  Other fish like the movement of the food caused by the water currents.  Give it some time.  If it's healthy is should start eating soon enough.

Thanks for a, once again, complet answer. I mostly use mysis. I use brine every 4-5 days to use what I have and then it will be mysis only. I gave the royal gramma brine because many fish stores use brine and I wanted it to feel "at home". On the other hand, it just arrived to the store so...

• Like 2

i mostly give rod's food, which fish respond to much better than mysis. mysis or brine only once a week or less. and pellets regularly. flake once in a while.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Kindanewtothis said:

13 hours ago, Kindanewtothis said:

It swam 5 minutes then he went in a hole in a rock, in a cave, and only came out once for a few seconds. It probably just need to settle in.

Pretty Normal for a new Royal Gramma.  Will probably take a few days for fish to find a spot in the tank it wants to call it's home.  It's a shy fish 

I was amazed at how many small spots a RG could fit into when I added one. 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Just wondering how to feed it if it doesn't come out.

It'll come out when it's hungry and it smells food.  When I got a RG it had just arrived at LFS ( I arrived while unboxing shipment ).

2-3 days hiding inside rock crevaces and at night it explored tank and tried a few spots til I settled into a cave caled home.  RG moved some sand around where fish could zip into when felt threatened.

Lost mine a few weeks later, but he had a period of health eating.  Would only eat frozen meaty foods in water column.  Wouldn't top feed on pellets even though the smell brought him out. 

I " think "  I stressed out my RG when I added a few corals near both entrances of his cave.  Was never the same after that and died shortly after.  

• Thanks 1
Kindanewtothis
4 hours ago, Jakesaw said:

It'll come out when it's hungry and it smells food.  When I got a RG it had just arrived at LFS ( I arrived while unboxing shipment ).

2-3 days hiding inside rock crevaces and at night it explored tank and tried a few spots til I settled into a cave caled home.  RG moved some sand around where fish could zip into when felt threatened.

Lost mine a few weeks later, but he had a period of health eating.  Would only eat frozen meaty foods in water column.  Wouldn't top feed on pellets even though the smell brought him out. 

I " think "  I stressed out my RG when I added a few corals near both entrances of his cave.  Was never the same after that and died shortly after.  

I fed it mysis and it came out and swam a little.

20210605_151632.jpg

• Like 2
41 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

I have an ammonia spike between 1.2.and 2.4. So seachem prime?

prime will help but if you are using an api or other liquid ammonia test, your future results won't be accurate, just thought it would be good to let you know that.

Prime effects the results of liquid regeant tests.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Kindanewtothis
6 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

prime will help but if you are using an api or other liquid ammonia test, your future results won't be accurate, just thought it would be good to let you know that.

Prime effects the results of liquid regeant tests.

Yeah I'm using cheap test.

20210605_161900.jpg

1 hour ago, Kindanewtothis said:

I fed it mysis and it came out and swam a little.

20210605_151632.jpg

Cool,

It'll probably come out more often in the next few days as it's comfortable with environment / tank mates.  

Before my RG freaked out and died on me, he was swimming around and interacting with clownfish most of the day.  Really liked him and I'd probably try and get another when I settle into a larger tank and not adding / rearranging coral.  And if he had a home spot, I'd just leave it alone.. 

Besides being somewhat easily startled, they're a beautiful fish and have graet personality when comfortable in surroundings

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Yeah I'm using cheap test.

20210605_161900.jpg

If it uses liquid regeant while using prime, your results won't be accurate. You won't know what the ammonia levels are.

What works with prime is the seachem ammonia badge as Seabass had suggested earlier. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Kindanewtothis said:

I have an ammonia spike between 1.2.and 2.4. So seachem prime?

Poor fish, obviously this could have been avoided with a bit of patience.

Actually, I'd just put the basslet in your 50 gallon tank and call this quarantine a fail (but that's not without risk either).

• Like 2
Kindanewtothis
30 minutes ago, seabass said:

Actually, I'd just put the basslet in your 50 gallon tank and call this quarantine a fail (but that's not without risk either).

I was thinking the same, so that's the best to do? These are not the "restaurant" rocks apparently.

• Kindanewtothis changed the title to Kinda's Large Tank Adventure (LTA)