SaltCritters.com

Malachite Green is an antimicrobial.  I've seen it recommended for parasitic control; but I believe that copper is generally preferred for Ich.  Malachite Green might have other uses (maybe like fungal infections).  I don't really know, I'm far from a fish disease expert.

You'll need a biofilter too.  In some cases, the sand, along with the other surfaces in your tank (like tank walls and equipment), will provide sufficient surface area for the nitrifying bacteria.  However, generally, it's good to establish some bio-media (like in a HOB filter) in your existing tank first, and then transfer it over to the new tank.  Without rock, I'd also put some PVC fittings in the tank for the fish to hide out in.

Live rock is fine for a quarantine tank and can provide the biofilter that you need.  This might be especially suited since you plan to keep this tank running after quarantining your basslet.  Essentially, the quarantine tank is there to protect your other fish from a new, but infected, fish.

Kindanewtothis

There is a filter on the aquarium I will get and I will take some of the biofilter from my 50 gallons. I will also add live rocks to it, I know grammas like to hide in caves. I still have access to matures rocks (8 years in a 200 gallons display tank in a luxury appartement building, not the restaurant rocks. I have 10 pounds out of 50 already from these 8 years rocks in my 50 gallons)

I also have a filter I might use.

20210603_085213.jpg

You might have read somewhere to use 1lb of rock per gallon of water.  However, that much isn't really necessary.  You could easily take about 8lbs of rock from your existing tank to use in the new 10 gallon quarantine tank (that should be plenty of rock for both tanks).

• Like 1
Kindanewtothis
3 minutes ago, seabass said:

You might have read somewhere to use 1lb of rock per gallon of water.  However, that much isn't really necessary.  You could easily take about 8lbs of rock from your existing tank to use in the new 10 gallon quarantine tank (that should be plenty of rock for both tanks).

Thanks. I'll see what I'll do, don't really want to change the rock scape in the 50. The 8 yo rocks are 5$ a pound.

that 50 gallon tank is now about 2 weeks old right? i'd be surprised if the current inhabitants are even settled in. sorry for being such a pessimist but i try to err on the side of caution.

Kindanewtothis
3 minutes ago, rough eye said:

that 50 gallon tank is now about 2 weeks old right? i'd be surprised if the current inhabitants are even settled in. sorry for being such a pessimist but i try to err on the side of caution.

Everything seems well, the clown do what they do with the anemone like nothing has changed. The flame angel swims and nip all around. They all eat well. I will Qt the royal gramma for a month also so the 50 gallons (that was a 30 before) will be 6 weeks old by then.

Kindanewtothis
On 5/26/2021 at 5:16 PM, Tired said:

A watchman goby paired with a tiger pistol shrimp would be great fun to watch,

I suppose 10 gallons is too small for these two? 20x10x12

Kindanewtothis
Just now, seabass said:

Wow, you don't mess around.

Rocks were only 4$ a pound so I got 10 pounds. Took some bio-media from my filter and putted it in the 10 gallons' filter. Took at least 6-7 gallons from my main tank. Should I add "cycle"? 

20210603_204018.jpg

12 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Rocks were only 4$ a pound so I got 10 pounds. Took some bio-media from my filter and putted it in the 10 gallons' filter. Took at least 6-7 gallons from my main tank. Should I add "cycle"? 

20210603_204018.jpg

I didn't find the product helped much. Something like bio spira would be better. 

Biospira is known to work. Nutrafin doesn't have a good track record.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B003ODDS5E/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_glt_i_RS7MNFH76HGA1XVABSQ2

Kindanewtothis
5 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Biospira is known to work. Nutrafin doesn't have a good track record.

Thanks for the info. Since the fish might be coming in tomorrow, that I already have cycle, is there a plus value to using it?

I wish you'd slow down a little.  You're relying heavily on these rocks being fully cured.  That was the other reason that I was suggesting taking them from your display tank.  Definitely check for ammonia before you buy a fish for this tank (that you just set up, with rocks that you just purchased).

As far as your bottled bacteria, it's probably fine to use (don't overdose it).  However, (by tomorrow) the bacteria will still be mostly in the water column versus having time to establish on the surfaces.  The instant cycle claims on bacteria products are way overblown.  They might help to seed some bacteria (on dry rock, sand, or media), but they don't instantly establish a working biofilter.

That all said, it's certainly possible that these rocks (which were in another tank) are fully cured and have a well established biofilter on their surface.  But it seems to me like you've taken emergency actions to buy a fish that is often available.  I'd like to see this tank running ammonia-free for at least a week before you buy your new fish.  I feel that it might be a bit of an unnecessary gamble to rush things.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1
Kindanewtothis

Thanks for your advice, I appreciate it as always. 

I'm confident about the new rocks, but I will add some smaller ones from my main tank. If my rocks are good, that I mostly use water from my main tank plus the bio-media from my main filter you still feel that it is too fast?

Like I said, at a minimum, "Definitely check for ammonia before you buy a fish for this tank", and "it's certainly possible that these rocks (which were in another tank) are fully cured and have a well established biofilter on their surface".  Moving ahead is a risk, although maybe a small one.  Ultimately, this is your tank; I'm just pointing out some things to consider.

30 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

I'm confident about the new rocks, but I will add some smaller ones from my main tank. If my rocks are good, that I mostly use water from my main tank plus the bio-media from my main filter you still feel that it is too fast?

Assuming the new rocks are good, you might not even need to transfer bio-media from your other tank.  That is needed when you setup a temporary QT or hospital tank that doesn't have a biofilter.

You can use water from your other tank if you wish.  However, the nitrifying bacteria reside on the surfaces, not in the water column, so it wouldn't add much beneficial bacteria (the bottled stuff would be better at this).

If there are a few rock that won't mess up your aquascape, you could move them over if you want.  However, if there is any die-off on the other rocks, you could still have a problem.  It's really up to the quality of these rocks.  And since I'm not there, it's hard for me to evaluate them (thus the conservative recommendations).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
1 hour ago, Kindanewtothis said:

There is not enough water movement in the 10 gallons, are there pumps that are small enough?

hydor koralia nano 240.

i agree with seabass. that's an ongoing theme on this forum: new member sets up tank, new member rushes despite cautions from more experienced members (or buys something that requires a bigger or more established tank), things go wrong.

• Like 3
Kindanewtothis
7 hours ago, rough eye said:

hydor koralia nano 240

They were out of stock on this one but I went with a Sicce. I have the same brand in my 50 gallons.

Sorry for the bad picture.

20210604_105345.jpg

• Like 2
  • Kindanewtothis changed the title to Kinda's Large Tank Adventure (LTA)