Top Shelf Aquatics

Kindanewtothis
3 minutes ago, seabass said:

That's a nice tank you have going there.

Thanks I like it a lot. The anemone is getting bigger, I'm glad I upgraded the tank.

Kindanewtothis

Red alert! The anemone is on the move. If found a way through the rocks (looks like it was a cave with an exit). 

should I help it ?

20210531_124727.jpg

• Haha 2
Kindanewtothis

34 minutes ago, seabass said:

Nope, let it figure out where it wants to live.

I just don't want it to retract through the hole in the rock and stay stuck. It can leave the other way. I pushed it a little and placed a rock it can attach it's foot to better. If it want to move, it still can.

20210531_132642.jpg

It won't get stuck. Anemones are a ball of goo with a bit of musculature inside. They can get out of any position they can get into. Leave it completely alone, and it'll wander around and find where it wants to be. 

• Like 3
Kindanewtothis

I'll leave it has it is. It can still go away if it wants. I feel like it was more slipping than leaving. It's back fully open. You can see the red foot in the picture.

20210531_152727.jpg

Anemones don't really slip. They aren't much denser than water, so the gravitational force pulling them down is minimal, and they can grip really tightly onto things. Their foot is like a squishier snail's foot, except they can inflate it and deflate it to the exact size and shape they need. An anemone can sit on the glass wall of an aquarium and not slide at all, unless you physically shove it around. 

• Like 3
Kindanewtothis

I'm thinking about getting a Qt/hospital tank. Is 5 or 8 gallons too small? Found some cheap. 

Ok this is gonna sound weird but can you keep something in a Qt/hospital tank? 

25 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

I'm thinking about getting a Qt/hospital tank.

What ever happened to your original tank?  That would make a decent quarantine or hospital tank.

27 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Is 8 gallons too small?

Depends.  If you are quarantining a young Royal Gramma, then it would probably work.  It probably would have been small for your angelfish.  And if you need a hospital tank for all of your fish (like for Ich treatments), it's not even close to big enough.

31 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

can you keep something in a Qt/hospital tank?

You could keep stuff in a quarantine tank.  However, if you introduce a disease, you might infect another fish that's in there.  If you keep inverts in there, many treatments wouldn't be compatible with them.  If you have sand or live rock in there, you cannot treat with copper meds.

Either of these tanks (QT or hospital) should have a working biofilter; otherwise you'll have to dose Prime to detoxify the ammonia.  However, Prime is not compatible with all meds.

If using the new tank as a quarantine tank, to limit exposure to your larger tank, then you can keep suitable livestock (even keep it as a reef tank) just as long as you don't ever use non-reef safe treatments.

Kindanewtothis
1 hour ago, seabass said:

If you have sand or live rock in there, you cannot treat with copper meds.

I understand for live rock but what about sand? I still have sand left from my 50 gallons. I just don't want to risk what I have in my 50. 

Kindanewtothis
42 minutes ago, seabass said:

What ever happened to your original tank?  That would make a decent quarantine or hospital tank.

I sold it, all the equipments are now on the 50.

Kindanewtothis
2 minutes ago, rough eye said:

are you still testing the water for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? 

Yes 0 - 0 and about 5

1 hour ago, seabass said:

Depends.  If you are quarantining a young Royal Gramma, then it would probably work.  It probably would have been small for your angelfish.  And if you need a hospital tank for all of your fish (like for Ich treatments), it's not even close to big enough.

You could keep stuff in a quarantine tank.  However, if you introduce a disease, you might infect another fish that's in there.  If you keep inverts in there, many treatments wouldn't be compatible with them.  If you have sand or live rock in there, you cannot treat with copper meds.

Either of these tanks (QT or hospital) should have a working biofilter; otherwise you'll have to dose Prime to detoxify the ammonia.  However, Prime is not compatible with all meds.

If using the new tank as a quarantine tank, to limit exposure to your larger tank, then you can keep suitable livestock (even keep it as a reef tank) just as long as you don't ever use non-reef safe treatments.

Good luck getting any meds. Op is in Canada and you need a prescription from a vet who has seen the fish to get meds.

No copper or antibiotics are sold in stores now.

We all have to qt with monitoring and have to use other methods as most vets don't treat fish here. 

Most won't invest in expensive fish now because it can't be treated.

• Wow 2
  • Thanks 1
Kindanewtothis
1 minute ago, Clown79 said:

Good luck getting any meds. Op is in Canada and you need a prescription from a vet who has seen the fish to get meds.

No copper or antibiotics are sold in stores now.

We all have to qt with monitoring and have to use other methods as most vets don't treat fish here. 

I did not know, thank you.

11 hours ago, Kindanewtothis said:

I understand for live rock but what about sand?

Copper binds to calcium carbonate, so (I guess unless you are in Canada without access) no copper meds with sand beds.

Without the ability to get meds, a QT sounds like a good idea.  It should be big enough to quarantine anything you wish to keep in it (like for a month).

• Like 1
Kindanewtothis
27 minutes ago, seabass said:

Copper binds to calcium carbonate, so (I guess unless you are in Canada) no copper meds with sand beds.

So without access to meds, a QT sounds like a good idea.  It should be big enough to quarantine anything you wish to keep in it (like for a month).

I'm indeed in Canada so apparently no meds.

My 50 is pretty full, I should not add more than 1 more fish but since it will just arrived to the store I think it's risky. I could Qt it for like a month and it would give more time to my 50. Then, I could try to do something nice with a small tank that will not have good lighting, I don't want this second tank to be expensive. 

51 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

I did not know, thank you.

Ya they changed the law here just about 2 yrs ago.

Really made things hard for hobbyists and stores.

21 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

I'm indeed in Canada so apparently no meds.

My 50 is pretty full, I should not add more than 1 more fish but since it will just arrived to the store I think it's risky. I could Qt it for like a month and it would give more time to my 50. Then, I could try to do something nice with a small tank that will not have good lighting, I don't want this second tank to be expensive. 

You can qt and monitor for a month. If you see anything you can try other methods for treatment.

This at least helps prevent disease in the dt.

• Like 1
Kindanewtothis
8 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Ya they changed the law here just about 2 yrs ago.

Really made things hard for hobbyists and stores

Looks like there is a way with amazon. Is this the right stuff?

Screenshot_20210603-055343_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Copper is a treatment for the Ich parasite.  While Ich is fairly common, there are a number of other ailments which you might not be able to get meds for.  Note, without copper, there is the tank transfer method and hyposalinity treatment for Ich.

Copper works because it kills inverts (so definitely not reef safe), and certain fish are more sensitive to copper than others.  Plus, remember that copper binds to rock and sand; this not only makes dosing the proper amounts practically impossible, but also, the rocks and sand would end up leaching copper which would kill inverts (snails, crabs, pods, corals, anemones, etc) that are exposed to them in the future.

Kindanewtothis

Btw the fish might also be parasite/disease free. I just want to prepare.

I gonna get a 10 gallons today (20x10x12). I'm don't want to keep it empty once the gramma will be in the Dt. I'm open for easy suggestions for the 10 gallons. Keep in mind that there will not be a skimmer, nor led lighting.

• Kindanewtothis changed the title to Kinda's Large Tank Adventure (LTA)