Pod Your Reef

fishez4alivin
On 5/24/2021 at 2:21 PM, Kindanewtothis said:

"The Flame Angelfish requires at least a 70-gallon aquarium with lots of hiding places and live rock for grazing. The Flame Angelfish is prone to nip at stony and soft corals, sessile invertebrates, and clam mantles."  - Liveaquaria.com 

70 gallons? I've seen 30 gallons on other websites.

About the corals, I suppose my mushrooms are considered "soft corals".

20210524_163421.jpg

I wouldn't worry about your mushrooms, they seem to like zoas, scolymias and highend rainbow and watermelon chalices, just my experience.  I love angel fish as well, but each time I tried they would eat my coral.  I had an Emperor Angel that used to prune all my acropora growth tips...lol

damage001-1_zps4ec537db.jpg

• Like 2
Kindanewtothis

The probleme is that the orange mushroom did not open once but the other one seems really good. I don't get it.

28 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

The probleme is that the orange mushroom did not open once but the other one seems really good. I don't get it.

i have both a blue and orange florida ricordea (mushroom). i placed them both on a shaded side of the tank. after a few weeks i moved the orange to a brighter lit area just to see how it would fare. it started to shrink while the blue continued to grow, so i moved it back after another couple of weeks. almost immediately it started spreading out more and seems happier there, now although not as big as the blue one got it's much larger than it had been. seems they don't like very bright light or very much flow.

Kindanewtothis
9 hours ago, rough eye said:

seems they don't like very bright light or very much flow.

It's been on the sandbed for a week now, a bit in the shade and still nothing.

Kindanewtothis
1 minute ago, seabass said:

Can you get a better picture of it?

It's near the sandbed actually (not directly on the sand)

20210529_092115.jpg

• Thanks 1
Kindanewtothis

I know I was recommanded to wat before adding a new fish but what about corals? Do they affect the bioload as much as fishs? 

Just saw an add from someone in my city selling green hammer frag for 15$... 

FB_IMG_1622301915976.jpg

Kindanewtothis
39 minutes ago, rough eye said:

did you research before buying it? you should always research any specimen, coral, fish or invert, before buying.

I did, been wanting a hammer for a while.

3 hours ago, Kindanewtothis said:

what about corals? Do they affect the bioload as much as fishs?

While they add a small amount to the bio-load, it's not nearly as much as a fish would be.

What do you know about dipping new coral frags?  Did you just temperature acclimate it?

Kindanewtothis
32 minutes ago, seabass said:

What do you know about dipping new coral frags?  Did you just temperature acclimate it?

Drop by drop for an hour, is this what you call "dipping"?

Kindanewtothis

Ok just saw a video about dipping... no I did not do it, did not know that existed. 

I added water in the bag, drop by drop, for an hour but that's it.... it's in the tank now.

That's called drip acclimation. It's good with corals you've bought locally. Any corals you buy online should have the sealed bag floated in the tank for 20 minutes or so to acclimate the temperature, then the coral should go into a dip, then directly into the tank.

Coral dips are a good idea, especially if you're buying from some random person and not a well-known and reputable source. 

• Like 1
Kindanewtothis
27 minutes ago, Tired said:

Coral dips are a good idea, especially if you're buying from some random person and not a well-known and reputable source. 

I did not know about it. The coral came with the small rock (about 2-3 inches long), hope I did not bring anything nasty to my tank. He had aptasia in his tank.

• Like 1

Dips won't kill aiptasia. Anything that kills aiptasia will also kill coral. Dips are for diseases and nasty little bugs that eat your corals. 

Aiptasia are easy to deal with if there's only a few, anyway. It's big infestations that are hard to get rid of. If you see an aiptasia, you can either kill it with Aiptasia-X, or remove the rock from the water and cover the aiptasia in liquid superglue. They retract when removed from the water, so you just wait for them to shrink up, then smother 'em. Both options are safe to use around coral, as long as you don't put the stuff right on the coral. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Kindanewtothis

The lights are still off but the hammer is opening a little bit so I suppose it's good news.

The orange mushroom got knocked over (probably by a snail) and I found it on the sandbed. It's not glued anynore since I moved it... gonna have to glue it again.

• Like 1

You don't actually have to glue it. A healthy mushroom will attach to something on its own, if placed on some rocks. Tuck it among some rubble and it'll do fine. 

I was thinking that it was already attached to a plug or some rubble; and now, that is no longer attached to the main rocks.

Kindanewtothis
1 hour ago, seabass said:

I was thinking that it was already attached to a plug or some rubble; and now, that is no longer attached to the main rocks.

It was attached to a tiny rock when I bought it and it's still attached to it. I will glue (again) the tiny rock to a bigger one.

• Like 1
Kindanewtothis

It's glued. I'll give it a month.

On the other hand, the hammer is half way open. I'm running the acclimation mode on my AI prime for one more day.  In the vendor's tank, it was at the bottom but he also had other identical hammer higher in the tank. With what I have read I would not place it high, but not on the groung either. The place I want to put it would be 18 inches from the lamp. Right now it's at the bottom.

20210530_151407.jpg

20210530_151403.jpg

• Kindanewtothis changed the title to Kinda's Large Tank Adventure (LTA)