ReefCleaners.org

Fingers crossed for you. I started out seeing one or two aiptasia a month, which I aiptasia-x like immediately. Now I see 2-3 pop up a week and I can't keep up. They are easy to miss, especially when they start growing in the back of your rock work in some hidden spots. Since I lost my blood red cleaner shrimp recently. I picked up a peppermint shrimp and it's been doing a great job at least in the half of the tank where he hides. 

I think this is one pest everyone will eventually get, don't let it freak you out or lessen the enjoyment of your tank.

• Agree 2
Kindanewtothis
4 minutes ago, DevilDuck said:

Fingers crossed for you. I started out seeing one or two aiptasia a month, which I aiptasia-x like immediately. Now I see 2-3 pop up a week and I can't keep up. They are easy to miss, especially when they start growing in the back of your rock work in some hidden spots. Since I lost my blood red cleaner shrimp recently. I picked up a peppermint shrimp and it's been doing a great job at least in the half of the tank where he hides. 

I hope it doesn't come to that but if I have to I'll go the peppermint shrimps way.

• 2 weeks later...
Kindanewtothis

My water is not clear, there is a brown film a the surface.

It looks like diatoms.

My hand comes out of the water with brown spots (installing the UV).

20220509_134633.jpg

Yeah, looks like diatoms.  While UV will probably kill the diatoms (temporarily solving the problem), it won't get rid of the silicate that is fueling them.  I suspect that they will eventually return until a lack of silicate becomes a limiting factor.

• Like 2
Kindanewtothis
19 minutes ago, seabass said:

I suspect that they will eventually return until a lack of silicate becomes a limiting factor.

Any idea what the source of silicate might be? Food?

Kindanewtothis
7 minutes ago, seabass said:

If you read this, you'll know more about silica than I do: https://reefs.com/magazine/silica-in-reef-aquariums/

You know what happens in Star Wars when the apprentice thinks he knows more than the master?

2 minutes ago, seabass said:

Also remember, you dosed silicate (SpongExcel) to help support diatoms in an attempt to compete with dinos.

Yeah but that was months ago. It would have stayed there dormant?

• Haha 4
9 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

stayed there dormant?

Not really dormant, but it will stay there until utilized or exported.  The article lists other potential sources including tap water (even silica passing through your RO/DI), food, and even some additives.  Diatoms are likely the biggest consumer.

Kindanewtothis

A few hours of UV (maybe a bit oversized UV), the diatoms bloom seems all gone.

Thinking about letting the UV run all night, is it too much?

Kindanewtothis

No3 5.2

Po4 0.18

dKH 9 (stable, will dose as usual back to 10)

Ca 380 will dose

Mg 1300 will dose

Kindanewtothis
On 5/10/2022 at 10:07 AM, Kindanewtothis said:

Water is crystal clear this morning. 

Diatoms are back and so is the UV.

• Like 2
Kindanewtothis

5 hours power outage right now, don't know when it will be back.

The power pack is holding on for now. Skimmer and sicce pump are running. No heater...

• Sad 2
Kindanewtothis
2 hours ago, seabass said:

Oh my.  I hope it comes back on soon.

Power is still out and so is the power pack...

Aeration is most important.  Even if you have to manually stir the water, or take some tank water and pour it back into the tank.  You can even shake or stir this water before pouring it back in.

• Like 3
  • Kindanewtothis changed the title to Kinda's Large Tank Adventure (LTA)