Cultivated Reef

Kindanewtothis
4 minutes ago, seabass said:

You could overdose API AlgaeFix, and/or Salifert Flatworm eXit

I did that, several overdose of flatworm exit. They all die (from the tank walls) but always come back even if I do the second treatment.

11 minutes ago, seabass said:

What I'd do is keep the tank running with flow (a heater is optional), but no food or light.  No maintenance is needed; and after awhile, you'll observe the pests disappearing.  The rocks will be OK and ready to use if you need them (like for a that tank upgrade you hinted at).

Seems like the better option. Thanks.

So just by turning the light off for a long time should kill the flatworms by absence of food? 

Kindanewtothis

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1317433715392092/?ref=facebook_story_share

I like that it is rimless.

I would prefer longer but less tall.

Still interessting since I would not need much more equipment. Bigger skimmer but I could live with the one I have for the moment. Since it's only 48" long, I think just one more Ai prime 16hd would do (so 3 in total). A Nero 5 or a second nero 3 would be needed.

16 hours ago, Kindanewtothis said:

I did that, several overdose of flatworm exit. They all die (from the tank walls) but always come back even if I do the second treatment.

In a favorable environment, flatworms will reproduce prolifically.  Flatworm eXit in high enough doses will kill the worms, but not the eggs.  Generally, it takes several treatments a couple of weeks apart.

So just by turning the light off for a long time should kill the flatworms by absence of food? 

Given enough time, absence of food should cause them to die off.  Lack of light (and eventual lack of nutrients) should cause the hair algae to die off too.

it's only 48" long

IDK, probably enough, but still not a lot of swimming room for a Tang.  Also consider that your LTA could grow to 20" in diameter.  Tough call.

I have to warn you about getting ahead of yourself again.  Deal with your current problems.  Once everything is sorted out, you can look at an upgrade.  However, the nice thing about a tank transfer is that it gives you the opportunity to do a deep clean; and that might be beneficial.

I would prefer longer but less tall.

Get what you really want, don't settle for what's available right now.  It's not like your current tank has a leak and you need to replace it ASAP.  Save up (for lights, for example) if you have to.

• Like 3
Kindanewtothis

Just tested freshly mixed water using a new pack of salt (instant ocean orange pack) . Tested with red sea.

KH 10.4

Ca 480

Tested my tank yesterday:

KH 8

Ca 430

Did not test Mg.

Doing a 5 gallons water change and cleaning the sand bed again.

Been dosing reef fusion 1 and 2 for a few days now (7ml a day). Will skip today's dosing due to the water change.

I'm expecting my pink hammer to lose one of its two head soon...

1 hour ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Just tested freshly mixed water using a new pack of salt (instant ocean orange pack) . Tested with red sea.

KH 10.4

Ca 480

Tested my tank yesterday:

KH 8

Ca 430

Did not test Mg.

Doing a 5 gallons water change and cleaning the sand bed again.

Been dosing reef fusion 1 and 2 for a few days now (7ml a day). Will skip today's dosing due to the water change.

I'm expecting my pink hammer to lose one of its two head soon...

According to Seachem:

"Dose aquarium every 1-2 days. Shake well before using. Add 1 mL of Reef Fusion 1™ per 25 L (6.5 US gallons) of water. (For reference purposes, the cap holds 5 mL.) Add this to a high current area of the tank. Wait a few minutes, then add Reef Fusion 2™ in the same manner, 1 mL per 25 L (6.5 US gallons), after shaking well. It is preferred that the two products be added to separate locations in the tank. This dose contributes 4 mg/L of calcium, and 0.176 meq/L of alkalinity. Never mix Reef Fusion 1™ with Reef Fusion 2™ directly."

So 1ml of Reef Fusion 2 adds 0.176 meg/L (roughly 0.5 dKH) of alkalinity to 6.5 gallons of water.

Or 7ml of Reef Fusion 2 adds 0.176 meg/L (roughly 0.5 dKH) of alkalinity to 45.5 gallons of water.

To limit alkalinity increases to no more than 1 dKH per day, you should be dosing about twice as much (or 14 ml) of Reef Fusion 2 per day until you can get your tank's alkalinity back up to 10 dKH.  Then just dose enough to replenish consumption (and keep alkalinity stable at 10 dKH).

Kindanewtothis
21 minutes ago, seabass said:

According to Seachem:

"Dose aquarium every 1-2 days. Shake well before using. Add 1 mL of Reef Fusion 1™ per 25 L (6.5 US gallons) of water. (For reference purposes, the cap holds 5 mL.) Add this to a high current area of the tank. Wait a few minutes, then add Reef Fusion 2™ in the same manner, 1 mL per 25 L (6.5 US gallons), after shaking well. It is preferred that the two products be added to separate locations in the tank. This dose contributes 4 mg/L of calcium, and 0.176 meq/L of alkalinity. Never mix Reef Fusion 1™ with Reef Fusion 2™ directly."

So 1ml of Reef Fusion 2 adds 0.176 meg/L (roughly 0.5 dKH) of alkalinity to 6.5 gallons of water.

Or 7ml of Reef Fusion 2 adds 0.176 meg/L (roughly 0.5 dKH) of alkalinity to 45.5 gallons of water.

To limit alkalinity increases to no more than 1 dKH per day, you should be dosing about twice as much (or 14 ml) of Reef Fusion 2 per day until you can get your tank's alkalinity back up to 10 dKH.  Then just dose enough to replenish consumption (and keep alkalinity stable at 10 dKH).

I wanted to go slowly and was limiting to 0.5 dKH per day since the limit per day was 1.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Kindanewtothis said:

I wanted to go slowly and was limiting to 0.5 dKH per day since the limit per day was 1.

According to Bulk Reef Supply, "Do not increase alkalinity levels more than 0.5meq/L or 1.4 dKH per day. If necessary spread the suggested dose out and test between doses."

I use 1 dKH per day as a conservative number.  According to the BRS calculator, you could probably dose close to 20ml per day.  Again, my recommendation would to to double your current dosage (to 14ml per day).

• Wow 1
  • Thanks 1
Kindanewtothis
4 hours ago, seabass said:

According to Bulk Reef Supply, "Do not increase alkalinity levels more than 0.5meq/L or 1.4 dKH per day. If necessary spread the suggested dose out and test between doses."

I use 1 dKH per day as a conservative number.  According to the BRS calculator, you could probably dose close to 20ml per day.  Again, my recommendation would to to double your current dosage (to 14ml per day).

Trying to do my homeworks, what product did you choose in the BRS calculator?

7 hours ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Trying to do my homeworks, what product did you choose in the BRS calculator?

I didn't use the calculator to figure the dose, I used Seachem's directions.  I referenced the BRS calculator because I knew that it lists the recommended max daily limit for increasing alkalinity.  Unfortunately, their calculator doesn't include Seachem Fusion.  However, it's not too hard to figure out dosing for your tank based on the directions.

• Like 1
Kindanewtothis

I did the water change yesterday but also dosed reef fusion. I dosed 10 ml (1 cap) because I figured the water change also would bump up dKH. 

It did more than bump up... dKH is now 10.9...

I should have tested after the water change.

Likely a testing inconsistency.  The previous test might have been read lower and/or this latest test might have read higher.  Also, the test on your newly mixed saltwater might have even been off.  I retest whenever I get an unexpected result.  It's a hobby grade test kit which has some inherent inaccuracies and potential user error.

Anyway, you should be shooting for stability in alkalinity.  Based on your test result of 10.4 dKH for your newly mixed (but completely dissolved) saltwater, my target level would be 10.0 dKH.  You should dose 7ml of Reef Fusion 2 whenever your display tank reaches 9.5 dKH.  Eventually, you'll recognize how long this usually takes.

Under normal consumption, you'd also dose 7ml of Reef Fusion 1 to makeup for calcium consumption.  You'll want to spot check calcium to make sure that it remains in an acceptable range.  Also, you'll want to make sure that magnesium is high enough; otherwise, dosing calcium could precipitate out alkalinity, or vice versa.

Kindanewtothis
33 minutes ago, seabass said:

Likely a testing inconsistency.

It was.

Just tested again and dHK is 8.4

I will dose again later today. 14ml as discussed. 

• Like 1
Kindanewtothis

Anyone have experience with acrylic tanks? I hear they scratch easily.

Found a local place where they do custom made acrylic tanks. Expensive but I would get exactly what I want (in a few months).

They definitely scratch easier.  I have an acrylic tank and you HAVE to be more careful.  Oftentimes, I just want to take a razor blade to it but I'd never risk it (plastic scrapers only, and don't get any sand caught in your algae pad or scraper).

Pros:

• stronger
  • lighter
  • clearer (when not scratched)

Cons:

• scratches much easier
  • You can't keep an urchin (as they will leave marks)
  • bracing makes maintenance more difficult (also rules out HOB equipment)
  • The stand must support the entire bottom

I'm actually thinking about replacing my 100 gallon acrylic tank with a smaller glass version (maybe a 75 or 90 gallon).

Kindanewtothis
12 minutes ago, seabass said:

bracing makes maintenance more difficult (also rules out HOB equipment)

I asked about that since I use HOB and in tank equipment. It can be made rimless for more $$$. Price is 1150$ CAD for a 72x18x18 tank rimless.

1 hour ago, Kindanewtothis said:

I asked about that since I use HOB and in tank equipment. It can be made rimless for more $$$. Price is 1150$ CAD for a 72x18x18 tank rimless.

If going acrylic, I'd have it drilled for an overflow.  Besides, the HOB equipment might scratch the acrylic.  Plus, I assume there will be some bowing even with the thicker acrylic; maybe something to think about for a top on a rimless tank.

Your call though.  Obviously, I purchased an acrylic tank after much research.  It's not all bad.  But I'd still recommend a sump.

Kindanewtothis
14 minutes ago, seabass said:

If going acrylic, I'd have it drilled for an overflow.  Besides, the HOB equipment might scratch the acrylic.  Plus, I assume there will be some bowing even with the thicker acrylic; maybe something to think about for a top on a rimless tank.

You're call though.  Obviously, I purchased an acrylic tank after much research.  It's not all bad.  But I'd still recommend a sump.

Still thinking about all this. Thanks 

Kindanewtothis
2 hours ago, seabass said:

But I'd still recommend a sump.

And what if I go crazy and get one of these red sea or waterbox tank? Are they worth it?

3 hours ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Are they worth it?

For some people, yes.  But I'll let someone else try to answer that.  I've personally never gone that route.

Kindanewtothis
10 hours ago, seabass said:

For some people, yes.  But I'll let someone else try to answer that.  I've personally never gone that route.

It sure looks simpler. I would not known where to start if I had to build my own set-up. 

45 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

dKH 9

Good progress.  Depending on consumption, you should be up to 10 dKH by this weekend.  But make sure that you don't overshoot it.

Kindanewtothis
40 minutes ago, seabass said:

Good progress.  Depending on consumption, you should be up to 10 dKH by this weekend.  But make sure that you don't overshoot it.

I dosed 14ml after the test.

• Kindanewtothis changed the title to Kinda's Large Tank Adventure (LTA)