Top Shelf Aquatics

10 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

I need to worry about pH now?

I wouldn't.

That said, if you had a separate refugium inside a stand, I'd light it on a reverse light cycle from your display tank.

• Like 4
Kindanewtothis

That's the 3 heads frogspawn that was eaten by the flame angel... slowly coming back.

The 8 heads colony is pretty much dead. There is just the one tiny new head that seems alive.

20220209_085022.jpg

• Sad 3
Kindanewtothis

So the guy who gave me chaeto and caulerpa is an experimented reefer and sells product. He says I might need iron but that seachem iron is really concentrated and that it is easy to overdose. He sells a more diluted product. 

Any input on iron dosing for macroalgaes?

20220212_101536.jpg

If you're doing regular water changes, that should replenish your iron. Use the supplements if you start seeing your macro die back. Don't find solutions for problems that aren't there.

Beware the calupura in the display. It will spread everywhere and may cut out light from your coral. Once the rhizome root embeds into your rock, you will not be able to get rid of it ever. It is an invasive species in a lot of reefs. 

I also recommend that you cut really long rhizome time to time so that they form separate plants. That way, if one section dies or becomes sexual, it lessens the chance of it spreading to the rest of the plant if it were all interconnected.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Kindanewtothis said:

That's the same thing as Seachem Flourish (Ferrous Gluconate).  Brightwell's product contains 13 nutrients and trace elements.  They're just different; I'm not saying that any of them are bad.

I'd make sure to get an iron test kit if you are dosing Flourish or an equivalent.

• Like 1
Kindanewtothis
2 hours ago, seabass said:

That's the same thing as Seachem Flourish (Ferrous Gluconate).  Brightwell's product contains 13 nutrients and trace elements.  They're just different; I'm not saying that any of them are bad.

I'd make sure to get an iron test kit if you are dosing Flourish or an equivalent.

Thanks. He told me to wait at least a month to see how things go before dosing and also before I could see a reduction of phosphate (still around 0.30)

Kindanewtothis
45 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Received my lamp. Happy with my purchase.

20220213_154135.jpg

I've placed one arm lighting from under (but away from the tank). The other side and the top get some light from one of the Prime. Now my greatest quality is required: patience.

• Haha 1
Kindanewtothis

My 2 heads green hammer lost a head... Except for the zoas, my other corals don't look so good. Not fully open etc. For a few weeks now. 

Temp and specific gravity are stable

No3 is stable but a little high

Po4 is stable but high at 0.30

Kh, I'm still adjusting dosage

• Sad 2
Kindanewtothis

@seabass No3 et Po4 are both 0.04 in the 10g. I placed my dragon soul torch in it before it dies too.

The hellfire torch I won arrived today, it's going in the 10g for now also.

I got an emerald crab for the 50g too.

20220222_180130.jpg

• Like 1
  • Kindanewtothis changed the title to Kinda's Large Tank Adventure (LTA)