Top Shelf Aquatics

Kindanewtothis

Yeah I suppose it's not the best, but it's better in my 50 gallons than the 15 with no rocks where it was. I figure I got 6 months to a year before upgrading the tank. That implies a bigger filter and skimmer, another pump and 2 more lights... plus other stuff. Kids wanted nemo and dory, they got it.

I always recommend upgrading tanks first, then adding appropriate sized fish.  That fish will need a 200 gallon tank; maybe you'll have 6 months.  Better start planning and saving for the upgrade now.  Also, the cost and maintenance effort will go up substantially.  I'd like to see the look on the clerk's face when you check out with 200 gallons of distilled water.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
Kindanewtothis

Yeah I suppose a Ro/Di is an obligation. I probably just take the fish back

Do you agree about what they say about the flame angel?

In general, dwarf angels (like a flame angel) are not reef safe.  Some are better than others.  You store wasn't wrong that it will likely be a model citizen for months, possibly years, and then start nipping at coral.  Some say that a coral beauty is safer option (although not completely reef safe either).  I certainly wouldn't put a Centropyge angel in a tank with expensive prized corals that you really care about.  But that doesn't mean that you can't keep one in a reef tank either, plenty of people do.  It's been awhile (more than a decade ago) that I've looked into it.  Just keep in mind that reports of them being safe are often made by people that have had them less than a couple of years.

You could try the flame angel. If it went wrong, it wouldn't slaughter all your corals overnight, it would just start nipping chunks out of them. Healthy corals can bounce back from that just fine, as long as you remove whatever's eating them. 

You should not keep a hippo tang unless you have an aquarium large enough for it. Minimum tank sizes for fish aren't some arbitrary number, they're meant to prevent undue stress and suffering. Tangs, frankly, really need bigger tanks than almost anyone gives them. Yes, your display tank is larger than the tank at the LFS, but the hope is that someone with a very large tank will buy it from the LFS. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

I suppose there is no arm in keeping it for 3-4 months before returning it?

Call them up and ask them about their return policy.  Some stores wouldn't take it back at a later date, while others might like that they are getting a larger fish back.  And some would just give you partial credit for it.

Kindanewtothis

At my lfs they fed it brine shrimp. I gave it some and it ate well. I will give misys mostly but I know it needs algae. I bough some flakes. I need to buy algae sheets (don't know how it's called, you attach it to a rock). I know people feeds them lettuce.

20210523_160759.jpg

Nori sheets. You can get food grade nori at Asian markets or get them from the fish store but I would return that fish asap. Tangs are rather prone to getting sick when or after stressing. If you are looking for a blue/purple and yellowish fish. The pygmy angels that are usualy least agressive and least likely to eat corals are probly the flame back and cherub they stay smaller but are very active and entertaining and much better suited to the tank size. However like the other angels ocasionaly there have been a very agresive specimen. A royal gramma is also a nice choice and usualy not that agressive unless with simmilar fish and no coral munching that I'm aware of.

Kindanewtothis

Help me understand. How was the fish ok for 2 months in a 15 gallons tank and is gonna get sick and stressed a few months in a 50 gallons?

Ok that wasn't the best idea. They told me I could keep it years in my tank. Then I red that I maybe only add 6 months to a year. Should have check better before, that is right. 

The fish stores are full with tangs, few people have 200 gallons tanks.

The fish will be return to the store eventually or I will upgrade the tank. Just saw a 72x18x28 inches tank (150 gallons) might get that in a year.

a tang is a runner. think of it like a horse. a horse needs to run. a 6 foot long tank isn't ideal but they can pretend to run a little bit. but if you had a horse would you keep it locked in a bathroom for 6 months, or 2 years, only because it was still young?

• Like 2

Repeated tank moves being in a fairly new tank that is being changed and upgraded stocked and added to frequently is stressful and yes the small lfs tank is quite stressful and not good long term at all either some but It all lfs run strong meds in fish holding tanks prophylactically to prevent infection the holding area may be 15g but it is often plumed into a large sump sometimes with uv sterilizes to kill parasites and bacteria to help prevent disease. If the fish is at the lfs there is a chance for it to be purchased by someone with an established and stable appropriate sized aquarium. Tangs do fine when housed and quarantined appropriately. if that lfs talked you into buying it in the first place I would say either they dont know and need to do some research or they unfortunatly didnt care and were just trying to sell something. If it gets sick and dies while in your tank or infects your other fish with something you are at a large loss if you get  rid of it and some kind of refund or exchange and it dies in there tank because of improper care it's there loss. It's up to you in the end. if it dosnt happen to sicken or die its like rough eye said. 

• Like 1
Kindanewtothis

I suppose that there is no other way than to remove the rocks to catch it so I can trade it for the angelfish. Any suggestions ?

39 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

I suppose that there is no other way than to remove the rocks to catch it so I can trade it for the angelfish. Any suggestions ?

if you have a piece of egg crate you can use to divide the tank, then you can move the rocks over to the side where the tang isn't? sort of corral the pony? 🙂

Kindanewtothis

Calling the store today. Hope they'll take it back, I would trade it for the flame angelfish. Wish me luck to take it out of the tank.

Try not to stress it out too much.  I always take out the rocks to catch fish.  It just seems easier for me, but my aquascape makes it easy for me to do this.

Coming from the freshwater world, I always wondered why saltwater aquarist always have these giant multi-hundred gallon tanks. I seriously thought it was ego.

Now, after researching marine fish, it seems you need a 6 foot 150-200g tank is minimum to have a good variety of marine fish. I guess it makes sense since the ocean is a huge environment to replicate.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Kindanewtothis changed the title to Kinda's Large Tank Adventure (LTA)