ReefCleaners.org

Is that's total turnover (with everything added up)?  That would be 42 times turnover, which should be alright if it isn't pointed directly at anything.

However, there is such a thing as to much flow, or flow which is too concentrated on certain things.

Kindanewtothis
1 minute ago, seabass said:

Is that's total turnover (with everything added up)?  

No that's only for the pump I linked.

There's no link.

I guess, without this being a SPS tank, that might be high.  You can adjust the flow of some powerheads.  If it's adjustable (like a Jeboa), then it might be ideal.

However, a simple powerhead like a Hydor is usually fine.  Some people like two smaller powerheads (one on each side), so maybe you just need to add a little more flow to what you already have.

• Thanks 1
Kindanewtothis

Yeah I saw the smaller one too, just tought if I went over 30 times turnover it was better. I'm gonna go with the small one.

• Like 1
Kindanewtothis

So it's been established that I'm stupid, it must be notarised by now. 

I got the new pump, ... why did I want more turnover? 

• Haha 1
18 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

why did I want more turnover?

Why?  Are you having a problem with it?

Flow will help keep detritus in suspension so that your filter can remove it.  It also helps clear detritus off of your rocks, as well as distributing food throughout the tank.  Some corals require decent flow rates to remain healthy; but as I said earlier, you can also have too much flow (and you don't want to point the flow directly at your rock or livestock).  Try directing the flow slightly upward and away from your rockscape.

• Thanks 1
Kindanewtothis

The orange mushroom is not opening but I suppose it's normal. The blue one seems better.

Also added a cleaner shrimp.

14 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

The orange mushroom is not opening but I suppose it's normal. The blue one seems better.

Also added a cleaner shrimp.

i have an orange and a blue one also.  i found out they both are happier down lower. i tried the orange in a brighter area but he wasn't happy.

• Thanks 1
Kindanewtothis
7 minutes ago, rough eye said:

i have an orange and a blue one also.  i found out they both are happier down lower. i tried the orange in a brighter area but he wasn't happy.

Ok thanks, the blue is almost at the bottom but the orange is higher. 

I would put both mushrooms on or near the bottom. Mushroom corals like to be on the sandbed, and high light will stress and eventually harm them. In some tanks, they even like to be in the shade. You should absolutely move the orange one. 

• Like 1
Kindanewtothis
4 hours ago, Tired said:

I would put both mushrooms on or near the bottom. Mushroom corals like to be on the sandbed, and high light will stress and eventually harm them. In some tanks, they even like to be in the shade. You should absolutely move the orange one. 

I moved it, but why at my LFS was it in full light with other corals? 

Kindanewtothis

The orange one is really not looking good, they told me I could keep it out of the water a few seconds to put the glue? Did I hurt it?

The blue one I kept under the water.

20210523_090137.jpg

Exposing it to air for a couple of minutes won't hurt it.  When you used glue, did you glue the coral to the rock/plug or did you glue the rock/plug to your rocks?  Try not to glue the coral's flesh.

7 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

The orange one is really not looking good

It's probably just reacting to the sudden changes in temp, salinity, nutrient levels, flow, light levels, etc.  Corals can take a bit to acclimate to their new environment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Kindanewtothis
20 minutes ago, seabass said:

When you used glue, did you glue the coral to the rock/plug or did you glue the rock/plug to your rocks?  Try not to glue the coral's flesh. 

This one is on a tiny rock, I glued this one to one of my big rocks, not the flesh. Now it's on the sandbed.

The "blue" one is on a plug and really seems it's doing good. In fact it's somewhere between blue and purple.

Kindanewtothis

Now, there is a flame angelfish at my lfs. It's been there at least a month and a half (there use to be 2, 1 was sold). I don't have a QT tank, but I figure that it is ok by now?

Do you think it is too much too fast with the corals I added yesterday? I red about flame angel not being quarantined and ending up sick. I don't want my lfs to sell it and then having to order one right out of the ocean.

Just now, Kindanewtothis said:

So I got your blessing ? Haha

don't ask me. i always wait. a few weeks or a month between additions. i added 2 ricordea to my tank at the end of march and may add 1 or 2 more soft corals today.

• Sad 1
38 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Now, there is a flame angelfish at my lfs. It's been there at least a month and a half (there use to be 2, 1 was sold). I don't have a QT tank, but I figure that it is ok by now?

Do you think it is too much too fast with the corals I added yesterday? I red about flame angel not being quarantined and ending up sick.

It might be a little quick (at about a month); but working with mature live rock gives you a bit of an advantage.  Your tank can likely handle the ammonia produced.

The corals didn't add anything significant to your tank's bio-load.  I'd be more concerned about the recent tank transfer.

A quarantine tank will help prevent spread of disease and/or parasites.  If your tank becomes infected, you might be forced to move your fish to a hospital tank for treatment (or lose your fish).  It's a gamble.  Are you feeling lucky?  I don't trust my local stores to provide disease and parasite free fish, but your LFS might be better.  Definitely check their tank (and any connected tanks) for signs of disease.  And ask the owner questions (especially if they have recently added new fish to this system).

All that being said (all of which you should consider), adding your flame angel now is probably alright.  I'd feel even better if you setup your old tank as a quarantine tank first, but I get it.

• Like 2
Kindanewtothis

Went to my lfs with the best intention in the world. To get the flame angel. 

They really discourage me of adding it in a tank with corals saying that it could go well for months and that some day it could be eating everything. Also that it was hell to get it out of a tank.

So, I change my mind and I suppose no one will approve. I got a hippo tang. I know my tank isn't big enough, I'll get a bigger one when needed or I'll take the fish back. I guess the tang police is on it's way now.

• Kindanewtothis changed the title to Kinda's Large Tank Adventure (LTA)