Coral Vue Hydros

Find a battery powered air pump. It's warm enough temps is not the biggest issue nor is the skimmer. If you lived closer I'd give you mine 😕

we got lucky we barely got anything!!

• Like 2
Kindanewtothis

Got an air pump working with batteries...power came back an hour after (about 30 minutes ago).

Everyone is well it seems except for the springeri damsel and the RG that are no where to be found for the moment.

• Like 1
Kindanewtothis
20 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Got an air pump working with batteries...power came back an hour after (about 30 minutes ago).

Everyone is well it seems except for the springeri damsel and the RG that are no where to be found for the moment.

Correction: the RG is alive!

• Like 4

That's good. 👍

The temperature drop actually allows for more oxygen, so that could have helped some.  I know that in my tanks, I've gone 6 to 8 hours without power before, and didn't lose anything.  However, there are a lot of variables here (like initial oxygen levels, ORP, temperature, bioload, amount of algae, etc).

You might see a few stress reactions, but sounds like your tank is going to be alright.  It was probably less stressful than shipping livestock.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Kindanewtothis

That new power pack I got doesn't work....

The small one I got from Amazon is really great and last 6-7 hour with the sicce pump and skimmer working. Thinking about getting a second one.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B09KZ1Q4FX/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_22710B84DRPCVQ9XFGHE

With the batterie powered airpump I will be more ready next time (happens about 2 times a year, I'm in a neighborhood from the 60's, power line are not underground here.)

• Like 4

Glad that is over!

I think for extended power outages multiple battery powered pumps and are your best bet. The only issue is heat, if this happens regularly its time to look into generators. Last Feb, when the big Texas freeze happened, I know some tank owners that were able to power their heaters from the power inverter built into their trucks. The rest lost everything they had...

• Like 3
Kindanewtothis
1 hour ago, DevilDuck said:

Glad that is over!

I think for extended power outages multiple battery powered pumps and are your best bet. The only issue is heat, if this happens regularly its time to look into generators. Last Feb, when the big Texas freeze happened, I know some tank owners that were able to power their heaters from the power inverter built into their trucks. The rest lost everything they had...

In the winter, I use my slow combustion fireplace and it keeps the room and the tank warm. But at this this of the year, the basement where is the tank and my office is cold... I would need a powerpack just for the heater and it won't last long.

Kindanewtothis

False alarm, sorry about that.

The springeri is alive but hidding in a rock. So no lost at all. Thanks for the support.

• Like 3
Kindanewtothis
5 hours ago, Melfy77 said:

biggest issue nor is the skimmer

Isn't the skimmer a good source of oxygen? That's why I plug it when there is an outage.

Kindanewtothis
5 hours ago, Melfy77 said:

we got lucky we barely got anything!!

We were out of power from 19h yesterday to pass 11h this morning. No damage outside.

• Wow 1
Kindanewtothis
15 hours ago, Melfy77 said:

That LTA is just gorgeous!!! Looks really healthy! 🙂

It's because you started it well! It would be too big for your tank now I think.

13 hours ago, Kindanewtothis said:

It's because you started it well! It would be too big for your tank now I think.

Hahaha probably!! How big is it now?

Kindanewtothis
7 hours ago, Melfy77 said:

Hahaha probably!! How big is it now?

I'd say about a foot long when fully open.

• Like 1
  • Wow 4
Kindanewtothis

I got a problem with my Nero 3.

A red light is flashing. I looked it up on the AI website and did the procedure... still not working. Store says I have to go through warranty. That's what I'll do but it will take a while.

I got a powerhead I could use but it's not powerfull enough I think.

http://usa.hagen.com/Aquatic/Pumps/Circulation/A565

Should I replace the nero 3 with something better (and sell the Nero 3 when (if) I get a replacement one) ?

That AquaClear powerhead is 270 gph.  The flow will likely be more concentrated (less diffused).   I'm not sure how that really compares to what you had and how it was setup.  Although my thought is that something is better than nothing.  Your call if buying an upgrade makes sense or not.

• Agree 1
Kindanewtothis
6 hours ago, seabass said:

I'm not sure how that really compares to what you had and how it was setup.  

Yeah it's not the same, the aquaclear is on sur surface but the nero 3 was way deeper.

20220529_092142.jpg

11 hours ago, Kindanewtothis said:

I got a problem with my Nero 3.

A red light is flashing. I looked it up on the AI website and did to procedure... still not working. Store says I have to go through warranty. That's what I'll do but it will take a while.

I got a powerhead I could use but it's not powerfull enough I think.

http://usa.hagen.com/Aquatic/Pumps/Circulation/A565

Should I replace the nero 3 with something better (and sell the Nero 3 when (if) I get a replacement one) ?

I actually broke mine a few days ago moving a tank... the "controller" fell in the bucket filled with water...🙄🤦‍♀️😅

Didn't feel like paying again for one so I'm trying the Hygger wavemake. I already have a jebao on the other side of the tank. It's 36 inches long so wanted 2, on opposite side.

• Wow 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Kindanewtothis

Just spoke with Aquaillumination. They are sending me a new Nero 3 but I have to pay for the shipping fees.

With taxes here in Canada the pump cost me 200$ CAD.

Shipping from here cost 26$ CAD and shipping for the new one is 30$ USD. Still worth it.

I have to soak in vinegar (50/50) my pumps more often.

• Like 3
  • Kindanewtothis changed the title to Kinda's Large Tank Adventure (LTA)