SaltCritters.com

Kindanewtothis
4 hours ago, seabass said:

I think bristle worms are a natural part of a cleanup crew.  However, some people don't like them.  Once you introduce them to your 50 gallon tank, you'll always have them.  Their population will rise and fall based on available food (detritus/wastes).  I'll occasionally remove an especially large one if I see it out and about.  But in general, I consider them mostly helpful.

So would you take them from the 10g to introduce them in the 50g?

I've purchased them before.  So yeah, I'd probably transfer a few small worms.  With a pistol shrimp churning up your substrate, I doubt that they will get out of control.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
Kindanewtothis
36 minutes ago, seabass said:

I've purchased them before.  So yeah, I'd probably transfer a few small worms.  With a pistol shrimp churning up your substrate, I doubt that they will get out of control.

That's what worries me (from another forum):

In addition to feeding on left over food small crustaceans, and detritus from which they extract uneaten parts, bristle worms attack corals and sometimes other animals too (anemones are a good example of the latter). Because of the damage they do, they absolutely need to be physically removed from the aquarium.

• Sad 1
2 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

In addition to feeding on left over food small crustaceans, and detritus from which they extract uneaten parts, bristle worms attack corals and sometimes other animals too (anemones are a good example of the latter). Because of the damage they do, they absolutely need to be physically removed from the aquarium.

I believe that most people feel that they are cleaning up dead or dying animals, and not normally preying on healthy tissue.  I would dare to say that the majority of mature reef tanks contain some bristle worms.  However, if you are skeptical or unsure, just don't do it.  If you have enough biodiversity, other detritivores should occupy that space.  In addition, Nassarius snails can be used to consume dead animals.

• Agree 1
Kindanewtothis
8 minutes ago, seabass said:

I believe that most people feel that they are cleaning up dead or dying animals, and not normally preying on healthy tissue.  I would dare to say that the majority of mature reef tanks contain some bristle worms.  However, if you are skeptical or unsure, just don't do it.  If you have enough biodiversity, other detritivores should occupy that space.  In addition, Nassarius snails can be used to consume dead animals.

It's probably safe but I think I'm gonna go with "if it's not broken don't fix it"... Things are going well in the 50g and I have a good cleaning crew, maybe there are already bristle worms in it but I never saw any.

• Sad 1
Kindanewtothis

1 hour ago, seabass said:

It's probably safe but I think I'm gonna go with "if it's not broken don't fix it"... Things are going well in the 50g and I have a good cleaning crew, maybe there are already bristle worms in it but I never saw any

I'm with Seabass on this. I have removed very large bristleworms if they come out in the open but don't actively try to remove any.

There is also a good chance they are already in your 50 and you haven't seen them.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
Kindanewtothis

Haven't seen much of the YWG since I got it. It doesn't come out when I feed. I saw it with the pistol shrimp so I suppose they are paired but with 55 pounds of rocks I don't see much of them.

I was out of town and my gf took a video of the YWG. Sorry for the terrible video and dirty walls but what is it doing?

• Sad 3
On 12/9/2021 at 6:55 AM, seabass said:

In addition, Nassarius snails can be used to consume dead animals.

Red Scarlett Hermits make real quick consumption of dead animals.  

I lost a Bi-color Blenny overnight once, and my Red Scarlett crab had him half eaten from the guts all by himself

• Like 1
Kindanewtothis
8 minutes ago, Jakesaw said:

Red Scarlett Hermits make real quick consumption of dead animals.  

I have a few blue legs and red legs, one scarlet and one halloween.

So I understand it's presumed dead? The video is from yesterday.

Kindanewtothis

No trace of the YWG. 

I got no luck with watchman I guess. I still do not know why the first one died. This one arrived looking pale... 

I've sent an e-mail to candy corals to let them know.

The rest of the tank is going well.

Kindanewtothis
8 minutes ago, M. Tournesol said:

Give him time to adapte.

Never saw it eat. Saw it only twice including the twitching video on thursday. Did not see it since. I think it's dead.

Kindanewtothis
21 minutes ago, M. Tournesol said:

Sorry, my bad.  I thought you just replaced it with a new one

The first one died in the 10g, I got a new one for the 50g but I think it's dead too.

Will there be a 3rd one idk.

2 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

The first one died in the 10g, I got a new one for the 50g but I think it's dead too.

Will there be a 3rd one idk.

Are you buying local, or online?

If local, make sure you see them eat at the store.  If they eat a pellet, grab some of that food that you know the fish likes.

My 2 week owned talbot I got is an aggressive eater.  There was another talbot the same size in LFS display tank.  He was shy when food was added to tank.  I grabbed the  aggressive eater - even with a blue tail Damsel nipping at it's tail fin and he displays same appetite in my 10 gal.  

His main food eaten in 2 weeks has been the pellet they fed in the store,  He still eats small pieces of frozen food, and just started eating flake the last 2 days. 

Sorry to hear about your YWG. I was checking a small one out when I picked up my last coral frag.  Cool fish.

• Agree 1
Kindanewtothis
1 minute ago, Jakesaw said:

Are you buying local, or online?

The first one local and it was eating well, I really don't know why it died after like 3 months.

The new one was online.

Kindanewtothis
1 minute ago, seabass said:

Any particular reason that you didn't quarantine the new fish?  I'd hate to see something wipe out the lot of them.

The 10g is half empty, the rocks are gone. I've never quarantine any of the others fish but they were all at the lfs a few weeks before I took them home. 

If you don't mind paying a premium and sometimes waiting about 5 days after ordering Dr. Reefs Quarantined fish is really great. Both of my clowns are super healthy and happy. No disease and readily eat pellet and flake. If he has the fish you want in stock its pretty quick. He can also special order and QT any fish you want. That just takes time obviously. He also does QT'd clean-up crew. Super nice guy and very professional. 

• Kindanewtothis changed the title to Kinda's Large Tank Adventure (LTA)