Innovative Marine Aquariums

Kindanewtothis

I guess I'll wait and go the algae (that don't grow right now) and pods/phyto way. I've invested a lot in pods, not gonna do something to harm them.

Maybe I'll change my mind down the road.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Kindanewtothis said:

I guess I'll wait and go the algae (that don't grow right now) and pods/phyto way. I've invested a lot in pods, not gonna do something to harm them.

Maybe I'll change my mind down the road.

I’ve had my tank for 2 years and I started with pods and phyto from the very beginning keeping in mine that I will have mandrin in my tank.  Pods and phyto method has worked wonders for me in battling algae issue.  

• Like 3
Kindanewtothis
1 hour ago, TNSRFR said:

I’ve had my tank for 2 years and I started with pods and phyto from the very beginning keeping in mine that I will have mandrin in my tank.  Pods and phyto method has worked wonders for me in battling algae issue.  

Yeah but did you fought dinos?

Edit: it's a real question not a comparison.

Except for the feeding part is a mandarin easy?

30 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Yeah but did you fought dinos?

Edit: it's a real question not a comparison.

Except for the feeding part is a mandarin easy?

To be honest and I hope it doesn’t back fire on me.  I never really went through the ugly stage and I truly believe that it had a lot to do with me kick starting with pods and phyto.  I still dose pods (monthly) and phyto (daily).  And yes, mandrin is easy once you get the feeding part down.  I’ve gone through 2 died on me until I got a female ORA.  Dino is just another cycling stage.  I know it’s no fun but I would wait it out and let your tank establish in a natural way.  Just my opinion.

• Like 2
Kindanewtothis
1 hour ago, TNSRFR said:

I still dose pods (monthly) and phyto (daily)

I still have pods (3 bottles good for 30 gallons each) I was planning on adding one per week for 3 weeks. Should I add once a month instead?

9 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

I still have pods (3 bottles good for 30 gallons each) I was planning on adding one per week for 3 weeks. Should I add once a month instead?

I can't imagine the pods staying alive that long in a bottle.

7 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

It’s up to you.  Is it fine to be left in a bottle?  If it was up to me, I would put the whole thing in the tank right away.  I think they have a better chance of surviving in the tank than in a bottle.  Just my opinion. 

• Like 3
7 minutes ago, rough eye said:

DO.

NOT. 

GET.

A.

MANDARIN.

please.

May I ask why?  As long as you are a responsible owner and care for their needs, it should be fine, yes?  There are several reefers on FB and they post about their mandrin and it’s in a 10gallon new system.  That really breaks my heart.

22 minutes ago, TNSRFR said:

May I ask why?  As long as you are a responsible owner and care for their needs, it should be fine, yes?  There are several reefers on FB and they post about their mandrin and it’s in a 10gallon new system.  That really breaks my heart.

a number of reasons. first, i think a more established tank is warranted, and an expert reef keeper. also seems nonsensical to get a mandarin for a tank that has no pod population, where you are trying hard to establish a pod population, let alone having other problems.

If i were the OP right about now is when i might be deciding it's time ot introduce the first fish into the tank. not a mandarin.

• Like 1
Kindanewtothis
17 minutes ago, rough eye said:

a number of reasons. first, i think a more established tank is warranted, and an expert reef keeper. also seems nonsensical to get a mandarin for a tank that has no pod population, where you are trying hard to establish a pod population, let alone having other problems.

If i were the OP right about now is when i might be deciding it's time ot introduce the first fish into the tank. not a mandarin.

Not gonna add a mandarin, my tank is full and I have the dino problem. Was just asking about this beautiful fish.

Kindanewtothis
54 minutes ago, seabass said:

I can't imagine the pods staying alive that long in a bottle.

Ok so a few weeks (3) would be ok?

19 minutes ago, rough eye said:

Thanks for your input but my tank is well established and my mandrin has been thriving in my tank over a year.  I have plenty of pods for her to graze on all day long and I hatch live brine shrimp for her every day.  Maybe you were referring to other reefer who’s going through the still cycling and establishing period.  

15 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

I would put the whole 3 bottles in right away.   Put them in the evening so it doesn’t get consumed by fish and turn your pump, flow and protein skimmer off for an hour so it can settle into your rock work.  

• Like 2
Kindanewtothis
8 minutes ago, TNSRFR said:

I would put the whole 3 bottles in right away.   Put them in the evening so it doesn’t get consumed by fish and turn your pump, flow and protein skimmer off for an hour so it can settle into your rock work.  

Yeah but I added 48oz of tisbe pods last week

36 minutes ago, TNSRFR said:

Thanks for your input but my tank is well established and my mandrin has been thriving in my tank over a year.  I have plenty of pods for her to graze on all day long and I hatch live brine shrimp for her every day.  Maybe you were referring to other reefer who’s going through the still cycling and establishing period.  

obviously, since you already have a mandarin, i was not telling you not to get one. glad to hear she's been thriving. i was referring to any reefers who are still going through cycling and establishing periods.

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Kindanewtothis said:

I'm with TNSRFR in thinking that you should get them in your tank on the same night that they arrive.  You can keep phyto in a refrigerator up to a month.  But I don't believe that's the case with pods.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Kindanewtothis said:

The product should have come with instructions as to keep the pods alive in the bottle, there is a process.

With canadacopepods there arw clear instructions on how to keep the pods alive if you don't use them right away.

Sitting on a shelf alone, unlikely the pods will survive.

Kindanewtothis
1 hour ago, Clown79 said:

The product should have come with instructions as to keep the pods alive in the bottle, there is a process.

With canadacopepods there arw clear instructions on how to keep the pods alive if you don't use them right away.

Sitting on a shelf alone, unlikely the pods will survive.

No instructions on keeping them. They are in the tanks now.

• Like 2

If you have a large, heavily established tank with lots of pods in it, then yes, a mandarin is a fairly easy fish to keep. A 50-gal is a doable size of aquarium to keep one in. You definitely shouldn't get one now, but it would be possible, preferably a captive-bred specimen so you can feed it plenty of supplementary frozen foods. 

I realize that they are cool and all; but I'm not sure why we're still talking about Mandarins.  It shouldn't take one very long to go through a relatively heavy pod population; so it would likely still need more pods (like from an attached pod refugium, or by supplying additional pods on a regular basis).

• Like 1
Kindanewtothis
4 hours ago, seabass said:

I realize that they are cool and all; but I'm not sure why we're still talking about Mandarins

Haha, I just asked if they were hard to keep, but again, no intention of getting a mandarin 

1 hour ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Haha, I just asked if they were hard to keep, but again, no intention of getting a mandarin 

Yeah, I know.

I actually like your current livestock stocking.  And once you get dinos under control, you should be able to add some more corals (keeping in mind that you have a notorious future coral nipper in your tank).

• Like 1
  • Kindanewtothis changed the title to Kinda's Large Tank Adventure (LTA)