Cultivated Reef

Kindanewtothis

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07PVMRZQH/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_i_ZREGTVQHB6FJD2PXCW04

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07XJBTNBM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_i_H4MKQNCQJTNN2Q4TC8W8

Sorry it's in french.

It's a usb microscope, do you think it's powerful enough to identify the type of dinos?

I don't know anything about microscope... science is far from my field of expertise.

Kindanewtothis
1 hour ago, PeterU said:

Was in English for me, probably a setting somewhere.

Do you know if 1000x is enough?

Kindanewtothis

Snail train

They seem to eat algae/dino on the glass and sand. Can't see how they could eat one and discard the other. You think they can?

20210711_064817.jpg

20210711_065142.jpg

43 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

They seem to eat algae/dino on the glass and sand. Can't see how they could eat one and discard the other. You think they can?

I'm not entirely sure, you'd have to watch them at a microscopic level, or examine the contents of their digestive system.  Many people report snails dying due to dinos, so I believe they probably do eat at least some.  However, like I stated above, I've never heard someone eliminating dinos by just adding snails.

10 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Phosphate 0.48!

It's not all that unusual for new rock to leach phosphate (which binds to calcium carbonate).  You mentioned earlier that this rock came from another tank.  There's no telling how high phosphate might have been in that tank.

Who knows, maybe the high phosphate level is limiting dinos in your 10 gallon.  We know that a rock was taken from the 10 gallon and moved to the 50, then moved back again.  So one might suspect that both tanks have been exposed to dinos, but only the 50 gallon is exhibiting a bloom. :unsure:

Kindanewtothis
15 minutes ago, seabass said:

However, like I stated above, I've never heard someone eliminating dinos by just adding snails.

I know but the tank looks better with the job they do.

15 minutes ago, seabass said:

Who knows, maybe the high phosphate level is limiting dinos in your 10 gallon.  We know that a rock was taken from the 10 gallon and moved to the 50, then moved back again.  So one might suspect that both tanks have been exposed to dinos, but only the 50 gallon is exhibiting a bloom. :unsure:

That on that rock that I've spotted what I think is dinos in the 10g. The phosphate was way lower at this time. Now I don't see any trace of it, even did the light test (was only algae). What do I do with this phosphate? The tank looks good. I could cut a phosphate pad to fit in the hob filter. Is it best to do nothing ?

Edit: new carbon?

5 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

What do I do with this phosphate? The tank looks good. I could cut a phosphate pad to fit in the hob filter. Is it best to do nothing ?

I wouldn't be dosing more; that's for sure.  And , seeing what's going on in both tanks, I wouldn't be using any phosphate reducing media.  Without dinos, I'd just perform normal maintenance and water changes (not purposely trying to lower phosphate).  But keep an eye on it, you don't want levels going up too much, or going down too fast.

10 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

I know but the tank looks better with the job they do.

I'm definitely not saying to get rid of your snails, or that they will stop performing their cleanup duties.  You can even add a few more of the snails which seem to be tolerating the dinos and doing a good job cleaning.  All I'm saying is not to purchase lots of snails for the sole purpose of eradicating your dinos.

• Like 1
Kindanewtothis
2 minutes ago, seabass said:

All I'm saying is not to purchase lots of snails for the sole purpose of eradicating your dinos

Got it, I was thinking of adding 2-3 turbos, 4-5 nassarius.

4 minutes ago, seabass said:

Without dinos, I'd just perform normal maintenance and water changes (not purposely trying to lower phosphate)

Will do a water change. Distilled water is hard to find these days, all the drugstore around are out. Will try walmart. Starting to consider a Ro/di.... yeah I know you told me before... 🙂

• Like 2

Yeah, I realize that.  I was kind of just making an obvious comment in jest.  I know, that you know, not to dose it up higher than 0.48ppm.

However, it does illustrate that high phosphate isn't necessarily the problem that we have sometimes made it out to be.  IDK, it even makes one wonder if you shouldn't boost up phosphate in your 50 gallon tank.

• Like 1
Kindanewtothis
17 minutes ago, seabass said:

Yeah, I realize that.  I was kind of just making an obvious comment in jest.  I know, that you know, not to dose it up higher than 0.48ppm.

NEvPzZ8bd1V4Y.gif

• Haha 1
Kindanewtothis
On 7/9/2021 at 3:47 PM, Clown79 said:

Tisbe are tiny, they will look for places to dwell and reproduce like rock, sand, macro algae.

I wouldn't vacuum right now. The purpose of the pods is for them to reproduce and outcompete the dino. 

Did you get phyto to dose the tank?

How long until I can vaccum again? The tank looks terrible 😞

4 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

How long until I can vaccum again? The tank looks terrible 😞

During dino, it will look bad, the worst thing during dino that one can do is waterchanges and over cleaning.

Its counter productive.

The only thing you can do is take the turkey baster and suck the dino out. 

Have you started dosing phyto at night every other day?

Kindanewtothis
11 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

The only thing you can do is take the turkey baster and suck the dino out

The problem is that on the sand bed, the sand get sucked in with the dinos. The sand is heavy and falls out with the dinos... Maybe I need a better baster idk. It works on the rocks but not so well on the sand bed.

14 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Have you started dosing phyto at night every other day?

I'm dosing everyday as indicated on the bottle. Is it too much?

7 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

IME, there's no such thing as too much.

8 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

The problem is that on the sand bed, the sand get sucked in with the dinos. The sand is heavy and falls out with the dinos... Maybe I need a better baster idk. It works on the rocks but not so well on the sand bed.

Again, not an expert on this, but I might just:

• siphon out some of the sand with the dinos
  • filter the water (as indicated earlier) and return it
  • thoroughly rinse the removed sand with tap water and return it
  • Like 1
20 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Each product has their own instructions. Mine was every other day, 1ml per some odd gallons.

• Kindanewtothis changed the title to Kinda's Large Tank Adventure (LTA)