Coral Vue Hydros

Kindanewtothis

In the 50g, phosphate is 0.16 this morning, it was 0.12 yesterday and 0.09 the day before. I'm starting to consider to put the phosphate pad back in the filter.

Nitrates are still close to 5 (I'd say 4)

Edit: anemone did not moved last night, still on the sandbed.

20210615_102900.jpg

Shrimpgobies are fine with any gobies that perch on top of rocks, because they stay out of each others' space. Two shrimpgobies in the same tank, unless it's a mated pair, would be a bad idea. You might be okay with a clown goby and another perching goby, clown gobies are nonaggressive and are bully-resistant due to a bad-tasting slime coat. 

Phosphate swinging back and forth is probably worse than phosphate slowly going up. I would leave the pad out unless it's really needed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Kindanewtothis
15 minutes ago, Tired said:

Phosphate swinging back and forth is probably worse than phosphate slowly going up. I would leave the pad out unless it's really needed. 

I took my chance putting the pad back this afternoon. I'll keep on monitoring the phosphate.

On 6/14/2021 at 8:32 PM, Kindanewtothis said:

I'll certainly remember it this time. Took a look on liveaquaria.com, it's the feeding part that worries me.

tail spots are easy to feed. just feed frozen food, melted in a little cup of tank water first. and have enough algae for one to pick between meals.

• Like 1
Kindanewtothis

What temperature do you keep your tanks? I'm at 78°

Edit: and how do I know my heater is powerful enough ? (It was on the 30 gallons)

5 hours ago, Kindanewtothis said:

What temperature do you keep your tanks? I'm at 78°

Edit: and how do I know my heater is powerful enough ? (It was on the 30 gallons)

I kept mine between 78 - 80.

• Thanks 1
Kindanewtothis

Phosphate update: 0.10.

I don't want it swinging up and down. I added the phosphate remover pad (the old one) yesterday, it must start to be "used up". They say on the box to change it every month. I'm thinking of letting the pad in the filter. Any input?

Kindanewtothis
On 6/13/2021 at 11:41 PM, Jakesaw said:

How is your Royal Gramma doing in his new home

Really good, it hangs out of its home a lot but it never go far from it. There is not agression between the fishs. Really like my RG, it's a beautiful fish.

2 hours ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Phosphate update: 0.10.

I don't want it swinging up and down. I added the phosphate remover pad (the old one) yesterday, it must start to be "used up". They say on the box to change it every month. I'm thinking of letting the pad in the filter. Any input?

You are at 0.10. I would take it out or you could strip the tank of all phosphate.

Kindanewtothis
37 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

You are at 0.10. I would take it out or you could strip the tank of all phosphate.

Ok thanks, I'm taking it out

5 hours ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Ok thanks, I'm taking it out

If the pads are expensive, i'd move to phosguard. It takes very little of it to reduce phos, so after a couple days use, it doesn't hurt the pocket throwing away the pellets and washing the media bag. 

Kindanewtothis
33 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

If the pads are expensive, i'd move to phosguard. It takes very little of it to reduce phos, so after a couple days use, it doesn't hurt the pocket throwing away the pellets and washing the media bag. 

There are not expensive. I only re-used it because it was only used for a few days and they say on the box to change it every month, but thanks!

Murphs_Reef
On 6/15/2021 at 3:05 AM, seabass said:

You can mix certain gobies if you want.  While I'm not 100% certain, I suspect that a yellow clown goby and a neon goby might work.  I might have even kept that combination at one point (I can't remember for sure).

I had this combination in my nano. Very good pairing and they compliment each other well. 

• Like 3
Kindanewtothis
3 hours ago, Murphych said:

I had this combination in my nano. Very good pairing and they compliment each other well. 

I'm more thinking of a shrimp goby pair with a pistol shrimp.

Kindanewtothis

Phosphate update: 0.12 this morning. The phosphate remover pad is out since yesterday.

The anemone seems to have find its place. The foot is in the sand. You can see it from under.

Still dosing nitrate but when I test it I'm still around 5. Is the Hanna nitrate test kit good?

20210618_094018.jpg

20210617_113240.jpg

20210618_150827.jpg

Kindanewtothis
On 6/11/2021 at 8:52 AM, seabass said:

It needs a spot to protect its foot.   While it might enjoy burying its foot in the substrate, a crevice in the rock is often sufficient.  Maybe somebody else can chime in here too, but I don't believe a 4" sand bed is absolutely required.

According to the pictures in the previous post, should I add some sand around it (not 4")?

Kindanewtothis
2 hours ago, PeterU said:

I would just leave it alone. It will eventually find a place it likes.

I was just thinking about creating more ideal conditions for it. Giving it what it needs.

Kindanewtothis

Phosphate is .14 , now I know that test kit is not 100% precise but it was .12 yesterday and 10 the day before when I removed the phosphate remover pad. So it goes down with the remover then goes slowly up when I take it out but shouldn't it go down due to the cyano in the tank?

Also I've been dosing nitrate for 7 days now and the nitrate still not going up but I need a better test kit.

@seabass are you letting me fly solo for now on? Your input on the phosphate/nitrate would be much appreciated.

• Haha 1
On 6/19/2021 at 9:03 AM, Kindanewtothis said:

@seabass are you letting me fly solo for now on?

Nah, I've been on vacation.

On 6/19/2021 at 9:03 AM, Kindanewtothis said:

Your input on the phosphate/nitrate would be much appreciated.

I haven't seen people recommend Hanna's Nitrate Checker.  I think other nitrate kits are probably good enough.  I precise value isn't really necessary.  You want nitrate detectable.  I think 5ppm is a good number, but 10ppm or even higher shouldn't be a problem.

I'm not concerned about phosphate at around 0.10ppm.  Parameter stability is very important.  You really don't want phosphate jumping around too much.  Clown79's recommendation to use PhosGuard (to better control the amount used) is valid.  Assuming that it was the phosphate pad that lowered levels so quickly, I'd be hesitant to use it as is.  Is it possibly to cut the pad so that you only use a little of it at a time?

On 6/21/2021 at 6:27 PM, Kindanewtothis said:

Could my lights cause a part of that cyano outbreak? The preset I use have more whites than others.

Maybe a small contributing factor.  Excess organics is probably the biggest factor.

• Like 3
Kindanewtothis
10 hours ago, seabass said:

Nah, I've been on vacation.

I haven't seen people recommend Hanna's Nitrate Checker.  I think other nitrate kits are probably good enough.  I precise value isn't really necessary.  You want nitrate detectable.  I think 5ppm is a good number, but 10ppm or even higher shouldn't be a problem.

I'm not concerned about phosphate at around 0.10ppm.  Parameter stability is very important.  You really don't want phosphate jumping around too much.  Clown79's recommendation to use PhosGuard (to better control the amount used) is valid.  Assuming that it was the phosphate pad that lowered levels so quickly, I'd be hesitant to use it as is.  Is it possibly to cut the pad so that you only use a little of it at a time?

Maybe a small contributing factor.  Excess organics is probably the biggest factor.

Glad you are back! Hope you had a nice vacation.

Phosphate seems to stay around 0.10, I could put half a phosphate remover pad in the filter but my understanding is that 0.10 is ok so I was thinking about not doing anything for the phosphate. (Except testing it once a week)

Nitrates are somewhere between 5 and 10, do I stop dosing?

About the cyano, could it be brown algae? I'll add a picture.

• Kindanewtothis changed the title to Kinda's Large Tank Adventure (LTA)