inTank Media Baskets

Skeeterific
40 minutes ago, DevilDuck said:

Coming from the freshwater world, I always wondered why saltwater aquarist always have these giant multi-hundred gallon tanks. I seriously thought it was ego.

Now, after researching marine fish, it seems you need a 6 foot 150-200g tank is minimum to have a good variety of marine fish. I guess it makes sense since the ocean is a huge environment to replicate.

Yeah, this. A lot of freshwater species are evolved for narrow or small spaces, or ponds that can dramatically fluctuate in volume. Not that they don't need space too, but for freshwater it seems like you can reliably expect the big fish to need big tanks, and the little fish to need little tanks. Less so with saltwater. 😞

My solution is to just get into coral and the fun of making an ecosystem with a lot of tiny life. There are lots of beautiful nano fish, and imo more interesting and intricate relationships between all the organisms. Unless you're SUPER into reefing and ready to drop thousands, tangs, puffers etc are better in a really big fowlr.

• Like 2
Kindanewtothis

"The Flame Angelfish requires at least a 70-gallon aquarium with lots of hiding places and live rock for grazing. The Flame Angelfish is prone to nip at stony and soft corals, sessile invertebrates, and clam mantles."  - Liveaquaria.com 

70 gallons? I've seen 30 gallons on other websites.

About the corals, I suppose my mushrooms are considered "soft corals".

20210524_163421.jpg

It's a beautiful fish.  Yeah, a 70 gallon tank would probably be even better, but it should be alright if you don't add more fish.  Actually, you could probably, eventually add blenny or goby, but I'd stop there.

Kindanewtothis

Here's with better lighting. You can see that the mushroom is now completly covering the puck. The orange one really seems not well, believe me or not it's also in the picture.

20210524_172604.jpg

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Could it be already spliting?

I don't think it's splitting.

But it does look more like a Ritteri anemone in that pic. :unsure:

Haha, of coarse. :lol:  I didn't look nearly close enough and it somehow looked larger than it actually is.

The mushroom looks normal to me. 

6 minutes ago, seabass said:

But it does look more like a Ritteri anemone in that pic. :unsure:

i thought it was a ricordea but now with the close-up - rhodactis?

5 minutes ago, rough eye said:

i thought it was a ricordea but now with the close-up - rhodactis?

Yeah, looks like rhodactis (a.k.a. green hairy mushroom).  Although we can't really see what color it is in the pic.

Kindanewtothis

The color in the pic are pretty much the same, I used the white lights to take it.

Found a new fish store and a facebook group for reefers from my city. I was not going to the right store at all...

• Like 2
Skeeterific
10 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

The color in the pic are pretty much the same, I used the white lights to take it.

Found a new fish store and a facebook group for reefers from my city. I was not going to the right store at all...

Nice, a good community is key when starting out, there's a lot to learn!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, seabass said:

Yeah, looks like rhodactis (a.k.a. green hairy mushroom).  Although we can't really see what color it is in the pic.

What's a good price for Green Hairy Mushroom?

I'm looking at picking one up from a local reefer

Thanks

Kindanewtothis

3 minutes ago, Jakesaw said:

What's a good price for Green Hairy Mushroom?

If this is it, I paid 25$.

Kindanewtothis

Update on the flame angelfish:

Everything is going well, it's nipping on rock all around the tank, it doesn't care for the clowns, anemone or the mushroom. I need to get some nori sheets. It doesn't eat the flakes but it eats brine and misys shrimps. It even got cleaned by the cleaner shrimp. Really like this fish, sorry for the mistake with the tang, I hope the tang is well.

• Like 3

Aquariums with fish and/or shrimp should have lids. Most shrimp and fish (excluding seahorses and probably some of the chunky shrimp) can jump if startled, which means a slow death unless they get very lucky and are spotted first. You should make sure to have a mesh lid for your tank, with holes small enough that your fish can't fit through the holes. A solid lid can also work, but reduces oxygen exchange, and blocks some of the light. There are some nice-looking mesh lids out there if you look around.

• Like 1
Kindanewtothis
On 5/24/2021 at 5:28 PM, seabass said:

It's a beautiful fish.  Yeah, a 70 gallon tank would probably be even better, but it should be alright if you don't add more fish.  Actually, you could probably, eventually add blenny or goby, but I'd stop there.

What would you think about a royal gramma? Too peaceful to be added after the flame angel? 

Grammas are not peaceful fish, they can actually be fairly territorial. They pick a cave, and they defend that cave from intruders. They don't tend to attack anything outside that cave, but they definitely aren't what I'd call peaceful. 

Give your current stock awhile before adding any new fish. A couple months, at minimum. More time would be a good idea. Watch how everything interacts with everything else, and what spaces they use. If you don't see any aggression, and there's at least one nice cave (preferably more) that nothing is living in or using frequently, you could try a gramma. 

Edit: a goby or blenny would be much less likely to have any problems, though. A watchman goby paired with a tiger pistol shrimp would be great fun to watch, and should keep to itself well enough.

• Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

What would you think about a royal gramma? Too peaceful to be added after the flame angel?

Personally I'd stick with a perching or bottom dwelling fish, like a blenny or goby (but not a scooter or Mandarin).

I agree with Tired in that you should wait.  They are compatible, but I probably wouldn't add a basslet (partly because the angel is in a smaller tank)

• Like 1
Kindanewtothis
5 minutes ago, Tired said:

Grammas are not peaceful fish, they can actually be fairly territorial. They pick a cave, and they defend that cave from intruders. They don't tend to attack anything outside that cave, but they definitely aren't what I'd call peaceful. 

I'm wanted to say peaceful compared to an angel. 

Kindanewtothis
On 5/25/2021 at 10:35 AM, seabass said:

What about in that pic with the lights close?

20210527_060103.jpg

• Kindanewtothis changed the title to Kinda's Large Tank Adventure (LTA)