Cultivated Reef

55 minutes ago, seabass said:

I would feed thawed frozen mysis shrimp (which are more nutritious than brine shrimp) twice a week, or other thawed frozen fish food.  Your clownfish will enjoy this food as well, but don't overfeed.  As the anemone gets larger, you will feed it larger bits of food.  Eventually, as it gets more mature, you might even choose to buy seafood at a grocery store, that you chop up for it.

I wouldn't even go twice a week at this point - I'd go once every other week for at least a few months with mysis or blender mush and then start upping to once a week. When they are little bigger (like 8-12" disc), they have no problem devouring silversides whole!

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, jservedio said:

I'd go once every other week for at least a few months with mysis or blender mush

I'd be alright with that too.

Usually I suggest feeding anemones and LPS corals just once a week, but twice a week (or even once every two weeks) shouldn't cause any real problems, unless you are feeding something that is harder to digest, like solid pellets (which you shouldn't do).  Typically, they are getting some stray fish food throughout the week (not to mention the clownfish poo).  Overfeeding causes excess organics which can lead to problems like cyano, algae blooms, and excess nutrients.  Plus, some people also suggest that undigested food can rot and cause the anemone problems.

Kindanewtothis

I have mysis too but the clowns seems to find it too big, they spit it back. I'll give mysis to the anemone and brine to the fish

3 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

I have mysis too but the clowns seems to find it too big, they spit it back. I'll give mysis to the anemone and brine to the fish

Brine shrimp is crappy food for fish too.  It's like feeding your kids just french fries.  Try chopping up the mysis if it's too big for them.  Clownfish might be picky for a few days, but they typically, eventually become indiscriminate eaters.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Kindanewtothis said:

brown algue all over the place

This is one of the reasons people say to wait until your tank matures.  I'm not trying to beat you up over it; but just hopes it helps you understand that recommendation a little better.

The algae itself is fine for the anemone, but it's a sign that the tank isn't yet stable. You're going to have a lot of nutrient shifts as the ugly stages of the tank go on. Let it happen, let the algae run wild and sort itself out- it'll settle eventually if you keep nutrients up (don't let them hit 0, that'll kill your beneficial algae and also your corals and anemone) and make sure to stock a reasonable cleanup crew. 

The trouble with corals and anemones is, they take a long time to react to changes, and die slowly. You can have an anemone seem perfectly healthy for awhile, but its health is slowly getting worse. By the time it feels unwell enough to start showing that it's unwell, it can be too late to save it, since it'll take a long time again to start improving even if you make the conditions suddenly perfect.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It's a filter feeder, totally harmless.  Looks like a common feather duster (fan worm), but could be a barnacle.  I could tell you for sure if I saw it in person.  Both are perfectly fine to have.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Kindanewtothis

The snails did a great job, they totally cleaned 2 big rocks. Algue level seems way lower this morning (did some manual cleaning also yesterday)

• Like 1

No, it's alright there (it's just cleaning up).  Its shell will protect it, and the snail won't bother the anemone either.

• Thanks 1

Personally, I'd let the tank mature more before adding another fish.  Adding to the bio-load is just going to make things harder (less likely to succeed).  But granted, your tank is large enough for another fish down the road.  IDK, maybe something like a:

• royal gramma
  • Banggai cardinalfish
  • or green reef chromis

It's a large fish, but you could keep one if you wanted.  I wouldn't add any more fish if you decide on an angelfish.  Keep in mind that none of the dwarf angels are completely reef safe.

• Like 2
Kindanewtothis

What about water evaporation? I've been puting water back on a daily basic (no salt) is it ok?

11 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

What about water evaporation? I've been puting water back on a daily basic (no salt) is it ok?

Yes, the salt and other minerals do not evaporate, so you replace the evaporated water with freshwater.  Use distilled water or RO/DI water, as tap water contains a lot of contaminants.

Kindanewtothis

I'm sure there are contaminents but doesn't it depends on where you are in the world? I'm in Canada, our water comes from a really clean lake nearby.

• Kindanewtothis changed the title to Kinda's Large Tank Adventure (LTA)