Cultivated Reef

Kindanewtothis

To be edited...

Original first post of April 23th 2021:

Ok so I got a 30 gallons tank, with hermit crabs and two clownfish. The tank is only two weeks old. I have a fluval 207 and a protein skimmer. I just had a Magnificent sea anemone, will it survive? Should I bring it back?

If you used live rock that came from the ocean and was very mature, the anemone might not die. If it was anything other than highly mature live rock (as in, years in the ocean worth of mature, done with its die-off period, and handled well enough to not have much die-off in the first place), the anemone is very likely to die, and you should return it. 

• Like 1
SaltyGallon

I'm not sure on some of these old mantras regarding anemones and new tanks and rocks. I tend to be in the school of thought that if you are diligent with watching and maintaining your parameters then you will be fine.

Sure mature rock increases the chance of success and stability in most instances, but ultimately it's poor husbandry and lack of knowledge that are the downfall of many newer nem keepers. I have several experienced friends and/or acquaintances who have started tanks with dry rock and their tank reared anemones have gone in within a few weeks of the cycle completing, and they've thrived long term. 

... But that's BTA's. Magnificient sea anemones perhaps a different proposition?

• Like 1
SaltyGallon

It's rarely as simple as not adding anything sadly lol... It's not about what just the anemone needs but also what the rest of the system/inhabitants consume and produce, and how that might effect parameters. It depends very much on your water change regimen too, as that will replenish lots of major and minor elements (depending on size and frequency).

If I were you I'd get into a regular water change regimen, test a bunch of parameters weekly or bi-weekly as the tank ages, and read up all you can on general anemone as well as Mag anemone specific care and feeding requirements 👍🏼

Likewise share some pics and updates here 😊

• Like 1

That is possibly one of the most difficult anemones to keep. I think that the odds are stacked against you but its not a certain death. what type of lighting do you have?

• Like 1

i think part of having a mature tank is a healthy, self-sustaining pod population and plenty of stuff for those pods to eat. can a tank that size provide sufficient to keep that anemone happy?

13 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Right now only neons, I will add led lights in a couple months

They require fairly intense light, good flow and water chemistry.  I doubt it will make it until you get your LEDs (and just because they are LEDs, that doesn't assure it'll get enough light).  And if you happen to keep it alive,  Ritteri anemones grow to around 20" across (and will take out most corals).  Doesn't sound like you are really prepared for it.  This is a fairly difficult animal to keep, and will get too large for your tank.

If you take it back (and I'd probably recommend that you do, if they allow that), don't try to peel it off a rock, as that might damage its foot and kill it.

• Like 3
14 minutes ago, seabass said:

They require fairly intense light, good flow and water chemistry.  I doubt it will make it until you get your LEDs (and just because they are LEDs, that doesn't assure it'll get enough light).  And if you happen to keep it alive,  Ritteri anemones grow to around 20" across (and will take out most corals).  Doesn't sound like you are really prepared for it.  This is a fairly difficult animal to keep, and will get too large for your tank.

If you take it back (and I'd probably recommend that you do, if they allow that), don't try to peel it off a rock, as that might damage its foot and kill it.

It will die with your current lighting, I would recommend taking it back or trying to find a local aquarist who can care for it. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Kindanewtothis said:

https://fluvalaquatics.com/us/marine-spectrum/

That's what I might get, would it do?

MODEL
Item #
MARINE SPECTRUM LED
MARINE SPECTRUM LED
MARINE SPECTRUM LED
MARINE SPECTRUM LED
UPC 015561145145 015561145152 015561145169 015561145176
Size Range 15 - 24" 24 - 34" 36 - 48" 48 - 60"
PAR / LUX (Depth)
3"
6"
12"
18”

370/ 15 000
181 / 6600
65 / 2400
31 / 1200

376 / 16 290
222 / 8750
90 / 3620
47 / 1940

381 / 16 720
236 / 8910
94 / 4160
55 / 2440

390 / 17 120
243 / 9210
102 / 4270
63 / 2580
LEDs 99 168 252 336
Wattage 22 W 32 W 46 W 59 W

I assume it's the 14515 (32W), but even 59W wouldn't be enough light (even two 14515's wouldn't be enough).  For a budget light, you'd be better off with a 165W VIPARSPECTRA black box.  However, the tank is still too small.

• Like 2
Kindanewtothis

Ok so tomorrow I'm going shopping for something better. I guess if I move it with the rock its on I could move it to a bigger tank in a couple months.

3 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

I guess if I move it with the rock its on I could move it to a bigger tank in a couple months.

Sure, but you'll need to upgrade your lights, flow, etc. as well.  Being that a healthy Ritteri anemone can grow to more than 20" across, a standard 120 gallon tank (48" x 24" x 25") might be a good size.  However, that's a sizable tank and investment to make for an anemone.

They can grow to 3 feet across in the wild, but 18 to 20 inches is pretty common in aquariums.  I'd plan it getting at least 18" across.  Depending on the dimensions of the 30 gallon tank, it might work.  However, I wouldn't plan on keeping much of anything else.

Kindanewtothis

How long until it reach 10-12 inches?

Great community btw. Thanks for the answers my local fish store did not gave me good advices.

What are the dimensions of the tank?  Is it an all in one with filtration chambers?  It could be a cool tank (just the single anemone hosting a pair of clownfish).  However, you need good flow and filtration, and more importantly, good lighting.  Lighting needs upgraded ASAP (this is very important).

But don't get me wrong, I'm still very concerned about this anemone.  They are an intermediate care level at best (although you will almost always see them listed as expert only).  The system is still very new (as I feel that you might be too) even though the rocks sound like they are mature (which does help).

• Like 2

At 14" wide, that's a little small.  I'd be planning an upgrade fairly soon.  IDK, maybe within 6 months.  Maybe plan your light around the new bigger tank.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Kindanewtothis changed the title to Kinda's Large Tank Adventure (LTA)