Pod Your Reef

Why does fluval skimmer air intake go in collection cup?

tdannhauser30

tdannhauser30

On a whim I grabbed a fluval PS1 at the LFS and so far am pretty happy with it. I am confused however about one thing. The collection cup has a hole in the cap for the air intake to go into. Why is this? My collection cup is full of nice foam but I can literally see the foam being sucked up into the tube and in turn, back down into the skimmer pump in my tank. Why would I want my air intake to be sucking dirty skimmate foam out of my cup? Someone enlighten me please!

16191822137108846130488898993826.jpg

2 hours ago, tdannhauser30 said:

Why would I want my air intake to be sucking dirty skimmate foam out of my cup? Someone enlighten me please!

59 minutes ago, Murphych said:

That hole in the collection cup would be an overflow drain I assume.. not to suck air in from the cup. 

If it were an overflow drain, they are always located on the bottom of the skimmer cup (gravity fed) - in this case, it looks like Fluval is using the skimmer cup cleverly as a silencer. Check the manual and it'll tell you definitively.

If it's not working out well for you, you can always remove the air intake line from the cup. If it's too loud, you can build your own silencer out of a pill bottle and some polyfill.

Murphs_Reef
15 minutes ago, jservedio said:

If it were an overflow drain, they are always located on the bottom of the skimmer cup (gravity fed) - in this case, it looks like Fluval is using the skimmer cup cleverly as a silencer. Check the manual and it'll tell you definitively.

If it's not working out well for you, you can always remove the air intake line from the cup. If it's too loud, you can build your own silencer out of a pill bottle and some polyfill.

Oh yeah just looked at it online.

That's a bit pish eh?! I would pull the intake out of the connector then it's problem solved.👍🏼

tdannhauser30

Thanks for the responses guys! Really appreciate it. So It is definitely working because the cup I's full of foam. However I can visually sea foam being sucked back out of the cup through that hole into the valve and back down through tube. At first I was hoping that maybe it's just sucking the air out of the foam and the liquid all goes down into collection cup. Upon further review dont think that's what is happening lol. I'll probably just pull it out. Although I do love how quiet this little thing is, hopefully doesnt become too much louder.