Pod Your Reef

How long will this go on for

djm32189

I set up my tank in june/ july or so. It is a 10 gallon, has a few fish, a shrimp, hermit and snail. I have had diatoms now since late July, and i don'y know what to do now. How much longer will this last

i see two problems with that post. a 10 gallon plus a "few" fish is too many fish ;) i wouldn't put more than 1 fish in a 10 gallon tank, MAYBE a pair of something. and 2, one hermit, and one snail can't even begin to handle the algae problems in your tank. try getting 10 hermits and 5 snails and your rock and sand will never look cleaner.

just so you know, your diatoms will probably never go away. you would have to have an incredibly nutrient poor tank to get rid of them, and unless you've spent a LOT of money on making that happen, then you'll probably just have to deal with it.

nah, i think they'll always stay brown :( if it makes you feel any better, i've never met anyone who had a tank completely free of diatoms.

if it turns green, then chances it's a different type of algae. those 2 fish are a good amount for a 10 gallon, but i don't think i'd get any more. more janitors will definitely help the situation. also, feeding less could also help, just as long as the fish are still healthy. RO or RO/DI will definitely help things out if you aren't already using it.

Kelpie, yes i think i read somewhere that high silica content in the water will fuel algae. thats why people warn against using silica based play sand.

buy a phosphate pad... it will help a lot, you probably have high amounts of phosphats which are causing the diatoms to multiply like crazy and the brown is just the dead bodies of diatoms...

Archived