Cultivated Reef

B-Ionic 2 part

seven237

To maintain corals and overall health in my Biocube 36, I was advised to dose the recommended dosage twice a week (Mondays and Fridays) does this sound correct?  I was also told, to dose it every 2-3 days. What do you recommend?

2 hours ago, seven237 said:

To maintain corals and overall health in my Biocube 36, I was advised to dose the recommended dosage twice a week (Mondays and Fridays) does this sound correct?  I was also told, to dose it every 2-3 days. What do you recommend?

No! Only dose Alkalinity and Calcium in the exact amount needed to replace what has been used up by growth if water changes alone can't keep up with usage. You need to test your Alkalinity every single day between water changes for at least an entire week to figure out how much Alkalinity you are using on a daily basis. Then, do the basic math to figure out exactly how much 2-part you need to add to replenish your tank's usage and dose exactly that much.

If you aren't using a lot, you can dose every other day, twice a week, whatever you want so long as you aren't adjusting the alkalinity by more than like 1/2 dkH at a time. When you dose 2-part, always determine your dosage by alkalinity then dose even parts of both solutions.

• Like 5

Dosing should only be done to replenish what is used by corals.

It should not be done blindly.

The only way to know how much to dose and frequency of dosing is by testing alk every day to determine consumption. 

• Like 2
On 4/19/2021 at 4:09 PM, Clown79 said:

Dosing should only be done to replenish what is used by corals.

It should not be done blindly.

The only way to know how much to dose and frequency of dosing is by testing alk every day to determine consumption. 

Looks like I have too buy a tester, any recommendations.

1 hour ago, Murphych said:

Yep every time 

I loved hanna for alk because its so fast abd easy.

I also.love their phos. Trying to determine lightest blue, light blue, to lighter blue was too hard. No guessing wirh digital.

Salifert for ca. Hell i used api for ca, it was the same results as red sea and salifert

• Like 1
Murphs_Reef
9 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

I loved hanna for alk because its so fast abd easy.

I also.love their phos. Trying to determine lightest blue, light blue, to lighter blue was too hard. No guessing wirh digital.

Salifert for ca. Hell i used api for ca, it was the same results as red sea and salifert

Ah man I want the alk one, but it wasn't in the shop the other day so settled for a Salifert manual kit. Only got the phosphate Hanna reader but it's ace!

46 minutes ago, Murphych said:

Ah man I want the alk one, but it wasn't in the shop the other day so settled for a Salifert manual kit. Only got the phosphate Hanna reader but it's ace!

Its great. phos testing finally made easy

• Like 1