Coral Vue Hydros

My RFA doesn't eat amphipods. Normal?

Critteraholic

Critteraholic

I have seen amphipods run right over the tentacles and face of my RFA. Never has it tried to eat one. In fact, it seriously annoys my RFA.  Is this normal? "Cause I would've thought that the amphipods would be free snacks.  Opinion?

Is it otherwise still feeding normally?  If so, I wouldn't worry.  It's an interesting observation.  I've seen mine occasionally react to apparently nothing, so I assumed they were eating pods, but I'm not really sure.  You must have a lot more pods than I do.

• Like 1

I have a couple that I guarantee you would snag them. They are lighting fast! Contrarily, I have others that wouldn’t react to an amphipod dance party where the RFA was the dance floor! I have no idea why they are so different but they all their own “personality”. I guess I spend WAY TOO MUCH time observing mine. 
So I’d say that might be normal for yours but I’m not sure what you mean by it annoys it though. Does it stay closed up? 

• Like 2
Critteraholic
7 hours ago, seabass said:

Is it otherwise still feeding normally?  If so, I wouldn't worry.  It's an interesting observation.  I've seen mine occasionally react to apparently nothing, so I assumed they were eating pods, but I'm not really sure.  You must have a lot more pods than I do.

She's feeding fine, thanks.  And I do have a lot of amphipods, it looks like an ant farm in there at night. But she wasn't happy with them when there was just a few.  She was my first RFA and I just  ass-sumed anything that landed on her would be dinner! 😊 

2 hours ago, SeaFurn said:

I have a couple that I guarantee you would snag them. They are lighting fast! Contrarily, I have others that wouldn’t react to an amphipod dance party where the RFA was the dance floor! I have no idea why they are so different but they all their own “personality”. I guess I spend WAY TOO MUCH time observing mine. 
So I’d say that might be normal for yours but I’m not sure what you mean by it annoys it though. Does it stay closed up? 

😁 I have been known to spend WAY TOO MUCH time observing all my critters. My son still yaks at me for "stealing" his hermit crabs! (Teehee) She is my first RFA and I didn't know whether this was normal or not. I have 3 more in a quarantine tank but no amphipods in there.  She flicks her tentacles at them and curls away a little, or furls her tentacles clear under when they try to set up house under them.  She would partly close when large ones came along. Now that I have a bunch of the little suckers she has started climbing the glass. I was afraid she was getting sick, but she's eating just fine. So I figured it had to be the amphipods but why wasn't she just eating them??? (And of course, the little crawlies won't go anywhere near my favias or ricordeas!)  Who knew I could get a sensitive, picky eater of an anemone!? 🙄 

There are definitely too many pods in there for me. It looks like an ant farm in there at night.  So probably Wed. I'll be taking everything out and blasting it over a bucket to see how many I can get rid of.  I'd really like to do a quick swish through FW but I love my mini serpent stars, etc...  and want to keep them. Yeah, I'm one of those. 😊 Thanks for the reassurance!

• Like 1

Occasionally I hear people say that pods bother their zoanthids, but I wouldn't necessarily try to get rid of the pods.  I'm not sure how big your tank is, but usually a fish will keep the pod populations in check.

Critteraholic
1 hour ago, seabass said:

Occasionally I hear people say that pods bother their zoanthids, but I wouldn't necessarily try to get rid of the pods.  I'm not sure how big your tank is, but usually a fish will keep the pod populations in check.

I have a 2.5 gallon pico.  It would have to be a small fish like a yellow clown goby or say a shark nose goby? But I don't know if their mouths would be big enough.  I haven't looked at them in person yet, so I don't know. Do you know or have any recommendations? I would love to put a fish in there but was waiting for my tank to get some critters going along with age.

There's absolutely no way I'll be able to get rid of all those little buggers.  They cling to rock almost as well as a crab! 😄 I also won't be deconstructing the rubble pile I made specifically for "things" to multiply in. (Go ahead, laugh,) I had no idea those tiny pods I saved off my frags (yes, I did 🤪) would multiply so readily and get so big!

1 minute ago, Critteraholic said:

I have a 2.5 gallon pico.

I probably wouldn't recommend a RFA and a small goby in such a small tank.  It might try to perch on it and become a meal.

Critteraholic
6 minutes ago, seabass said:

I probably wouldn't recommend a RFA and a small goby in such a small tank.  It might try to perch on it and become a meal.

Nah, it's too small right now. Like an inch.  And since I completely and totally blew my coral budget on a sale (which includes 3 more RFA's) I'm thinking I really need another tank.....😳