Cultivated Reef

preferred vendor online for zoas

kcamp317

Hi.  Now that my 29g bio cube is done with it full system redo and upgrades I'd like to begin creating a zoanthid garden as the main focus of the tank.   It has been operational now for about 3 months and cycled.

Was wondering what some of you like to use as online vendors.    I know it is important to dip the corals throughly before placing them into my tank to eliminate any critters or harmful things.   Also looking to avoid any hitchhiker nuisance algae such as bubble algae which is the whole reason for having to do the full system restart in the first place.   I'm not looking for extravagant or rare zoos just a decent reasonably priced bunch to start with and let get established.

There are limited options around here anymore as far as local vendors to choose from and very little coral selection nearby at stores.

Thanks!

I have ordered from boom corals before and I got very generous frags that were shipped very well for a really good price. Also there were no pests so that was a plus. 

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, Jakesaw said:

Have you tried to find local reefers selling frags with an app like offerup.  May be able to get some nice frags for inexpensive price. 

Definitely agree with this. Local reefers usually have the best deals but just make sure who you are buying from is reputable.

15 hours ago, Jakesaw said:

Have you tried to find local reefers selling frags with an app like offerup.  May be able to get some nice frags for inexpensive price. 

I keep my eyes open for some things online but not a lot of local reefers in this area....at least nothing like it used to be when I first started in this hobby in 2004.    

mitten_reef
1 hour ago, kcamp317 said:

I keep my eyes open for some things online but not a lot of local reefers in this area....at least nothing like it used to be when I first started in this hobby in 2004.    

did you check out the sponsors of N-R?  @Cultivated Reef was a great first place for online purchases for me (made 3 or 4 orders in total so far).  should I ever want/need anything that they have on sale, I won't hesitate to from buy them again.  they're having a free-shipping sale going on now too!

6 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

they're having a free-shipping sale going on now too!

* on orders over $149.  I got a little too excited myself when I read that. 

• Haha 1
mitten_reef
2 minutes ago, TatorTaco said:

* on orders over $149.  I got a little too excited myself when I read that. 

lol, poorly worded and incomplete statement on my part?

regularly, one needs to purchase $250 to get free shipping, i just assumed ppl know these things....

On 4/19/2021 at 2:37 PM, mitten_reef said:

regularly, one needs to purchase $250 to get free shipping, i just assumed ppl know these things....

You underestimated the level of my stupidity. 🙂

• Haha 1

Legendary Corals,Cultivated Reef are both sponsors here. 

But honestly,there is TONS of good reputable places to get Zoa's from. I don't order online because well I am broke and I live in Orlando so I have WWC,Top Shelf and Living Reef all within 45 minutes of me lol. 

47 minutes ago, Reefkid88 said:

Legendary Corals,Cultivated Reef are both sponsors here. 

But honestly,there is TONS of good reputable places to get Zoa's from. I don't order online because well I am broke and I live in Orlando so I have WWC,Top Shelf and Living Reef all within 45 minutes of me lol. 

Not to highjack the thread but I also live in the Orlando area and have been to all but living reef. How does it compare to the other stores? I have heard good thing about it but I figured it is probably better to ask a local reefer.

@IceParrot I absolutely love it. Its pretty much where I get all much high end Zoa's. 

Their $5,$10,$20 section is pretty goof size and have super nice pieces. Tons of cheap sps. But they also have super high end expensive stuff as well. 

• Thanks 1
On 4/19/2021 at 3:37 PM, mitten_reef said:

I have been around the block and was also interested in what the free shipping meant... there are certain vendors (Corals.com) that always offer free shipping at $140-150, and under that overnight shipping is always just $25.  Worth checking out.

• Like 1