Cultivated Reef

Are live aquarias minimum tank size for display or entire water volumn?

tdannhauser30

tdannhauser30

The reason I ask is because I recently bought a replacement tank for my 28 gallon nanocube. The new tank is 28.5 gallons, however the display area of the new tank is roughly 15 percent smaller despite having an extra half gallon of total volume.  The only fish I have are a pair of clowns and a valentini puffer. They all get along well however I know that the minimum tank requirements for the puffer according to live aquaria is 30 gallons. Some websites say 20 minimum but I trust Live aquaria more. Does this mean 30 gallons display volume or 30 gallons total? The puffer seems very happy and healthy in the nanocube, however I am just scared the smaller display area of the new tank wont be enough for him 😞 ..  So that brings me to my question. Is the 30 gallons minimum more for the fish territory and swimming space requirements, or more for the filtration and stability aspects of having more total water? What do you all think of putting 2 clowns and a small valentini puffer in a 28.5 gallon total tank, but with a display of roughly only 22? Hopefully someone understands what I am asking in all that rambling... 

You already have all three fish in the 28, so if they are doing well together in there I would move them into the 28.5. One thing I’ve learned from having had 4 tanks now is to make it so your scape (or part of it) can be lifted out of the tank in the even you need to get a fish out if it’s sick or needs to be rehomed, so that’s what I would suggest if possible. 

tdannhauser30
35 minutes ago, banasophia said:

You already have all three fish in the 28, so if they are doing well together in there I would move them into the 28.5. One thing I’ve learned from having had 4 tanks now is to make it so your scape (or part of it) can be lifted out of the tank in the even you need to get a fish out if it’s sick or needs to be rehomed, so that’s what I would suggest if possible. 

Yeah they are happy now, but I am just scared that going from like a 25ish gallon display down to a 21 or 22ish display is going to cause territory problems or something with the clowns and him. Basically if  I go by total tank volume I am only a gallon and a half off of what live aquaria recommends, but by display size I am a good 8 gallons short. I guess I will probably try it, I just wanted to make sure it didn't sound like cruel or unusual punishment to anyone on here for the puffer.  Appreciate the response.

Really depends on the dimensions also. For example a 20 long vs 20 high is the same volume but the length vs height differences allow for different aqua scales and also different species to coexist. 

go for it! I doubt the smaller area will matter all that much. 

tdannhauser30
2 hours ago, aclman88 said:

Really depends on the dimensions also. For example a 20 long vs 20 high is the same volume but the length vs height differences allow for different aqua scales and also different species to coexist. 

go for it! I doubt the smaller area will matter all that much. 

Now that's what I wanted to hear! Leak testing now, then starting the switch over next day or two.  Tank is definitely some goofy dimensions but hopefully it works. No this isn't the room the tank will go in lol. Thanks for the reply really appreciate it!

20210411_181535.jpg

20210411_181525.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/11/2021 at 1:11 PM, tdannhauser30 said:

the 30 gallons minimum more for the fish territory and swimming space requirements

It's the space the fish needs.

In most cases generic recommendations are not very good and in reality they usually encourage over stocking.  An example of the logic:  How many fish that require less than you tank size will fit?  One?  Two?  Three?  All of them??

There's a good reason for this ambiguity – the author can't have any idea what your tank shape is, what the tank's internal layout is, what other fish you have, what/how you feed, how your filter/clean, et al.  

All of those factors (especially fish personality) matter intensely and are left for you to judge.  It's wise to take a more conservative approach whenever possible.  Not vis versa

Getting to your specifics...

Shrinking your fishes' living space sounds "vis versa" to me.  Especially since we're talking about a small tank – any loss is likely to be relatively major.

Further it seems unlikely that you'll be able to duplicate the habitat layout they had in the old tank.  Clownfish are very territorial.  Pufferfish are well-armed for combat.  You can hopefully imagine where this could be heading when you shake up everyone's home base AND they find less territory to share.  So tread lightly on their lifestyles.

On 4/11/2021 at 7:36 PM, tdannhauser30 said:

Tank is definitely some goofy dimensions but hopefully it works.

On 4/11/2021 at 7:36 PM, tdannhauser30 said:

20210411_181525.jpg

Looks rectangular.

Can you measure the height length and width of the display area of the new tank and your old tank?  (Ignore the bow front of your old tank and measure it as a rectangle.)

I'm curious to know the actual difference in display volume as well as the difference in footprint (aka swimming room) with the new tank.

tdannhauser30

Thank you Mcarrol for detailed response. It is the space that the fishneeds. That answers. My question and puts me a far cry from the minimum display volume for the puffer

I took measurements and did  a volume calculation when I got new tank. Dont feel like measuring the tanks and doing it again but it was something like 5000ish square inches vs 6000ish if I remember. You'll have to take my word for it, Cubes already put away in the basement. Granted for the length  I measured at the widest point of the bow front and included plastic rim in the measurement at the top so that could be skewing my results.  New tank is  12.75x23.5x16(ish) quick measurements.

The only fish inhabitants of this tank are the 2 clowns and the puffer.  I am happy to report that they honestly get along great. They have from the beginning.  So far the smaller tank dimensions  dont seem to be an issue. Puffer has a few spots he likes to hide but they coexist very well. He swims right past the nem without issue or anything.  Hoping I dont have problems down the road..

16190332329628799494107855792968.jpg

16190333226587466651684080860211.jpg

tdannhauser30

One thing I did forget is I took out approximately 8 lbs of live rock when I switched tanks over. My hope was to free up a little bit of swimming space.

57 minutes ago, tdannhauser30 said:

something like 5000ish square inches vs 6000ish if I remember.

Between 21 and 25 actual gallons then.

58 minutes ago, tdannhauser30 said:

New tank is  12.75x23.5x16(ish)

That's closer to 19 gallons...very similar to a 20 Gallon "High".

1 hour ago, tdannhauser30 said:

So far the smaller tank dimensions  dont seem to be an issue.

Good to hear!!