Top Shelf Aquatics

Ricordea Question

rough eye

i've had the 2 ricordea for 2 weeks now and seem fine and happy. what i envision eventually is an area carpeted by them. In order to allow them room to spread and grow should I place a bed of rubble and put the frag plugs in the middle of that? Other option would be to move one or both higher onto a rock but not sure they would like that. i've read the orange tend to like brighter light.

also thinking i might add a purple one in the near future. it would be great to see a small field of them with different colors mingled, if i can persuade them to spread that way.

Here's a photo after the first week.

2 ricordea.jpg

• Like 1
9 hours ago, rough eye said:

i've had the 2 ricordea for 2 weeks now and seem fine and happy. what i envision eventually is an area carpeted by them. In order to allow them room to spread and grow should I place a bed of rubble and put the frag plugs in the middle of that? Other option would be to move one or both higher onto a rock but not sure they would like that. i've read the orange tend to like brighter light.

also thinking i might add a purple one in the near future. it would be great to see a small field of them with different colors mingled, if i can persuade them to spread that way.

Here's a photo after the first week.

2 ricordea.jpg

They will eventually spread on either therock or as they are now.

All the rics i've ever owned, did not like high light.

they all preferred being on lower portions of rock, in sand, much more subdued lightly.

You will know if they are unhappy, they will shrink up or even move to another spot

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

They will eventually spread on either therock or as they are now.

All the rics i've ever owned, did not like high light.

they all preferred being on lower portions of rock, in sand, much more subdued lightly.

You will know if they are unhappy, they will shrink up or even move to another spot

will they need to be touching other rock to spread? i thought they don't like sand. do they need a piece of rock for their foot to grab onto?

1 hour ago, rough eye said:

will they need to be touching other rock to spread? i thought they don't like sand. do they need a piece of rock for their foot to grab onto?

If they are on a plug no they don't need a rock.

If you get ome not on a plug, its best to put sand/ rubble in a container and place the ric on top in a very low flow area. It will attach and then can be removed to its final destination.

Rics will spread on amy surface.

• Like 3
On 4/11/2021 at 1:47 PM, Clown79 said:

If they are on a plug no they don't need a rock.

On a plug as in " glued to a plug "

or 

Their foot is " naturally attached " to a plug. 

Plan to add a RICO sooner or later, so gathering info.  

Thanks

1 hour ago, Jakesaw said:

or 

Thanks

i'm not sure they can actually be glued to a plug. i think they need to attach themselves and i believe the orange ricordea at least (can't tell with the blue one) is attached to a small piece of rubble that's glued onto the plug.

2 hours ago, Jakesaw said:

or 

Thanks

They aren't usually glued. When on a plug, someone has done the suggestion i gave you adding ruble or plugs in a container, placing shrooms on them until they attach.

Mushrooms, xenia, leathers, they develop a mucous that doesn't allow glue to attach to them.

Mushrooms can and will move on their own if unhappy.

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Mushrooms can and will move on their own if unhappy.

That was my understanding.  Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

It's why my first tank or two is all about learning.  little bit at a time.

• Like 1

I’ve done as @Clown79 suggested and let one attach to some sand and then glued the sand to a plug. That kept it in place temporarily until one day it decided it wanted to move and released all of the sand it was holding! They go where they want! 
All of mine are on the sand resting against the rocks.

i thought they might try to avoid the sand but glad to hear they will attach on it.

since the above photo I moved the orange ric to the other side of that rock it's in front of there, where it could get more light. since I moved it it's now hanging over the edge of the frag plug the way the blue one in the photo is. i had thought maybe need to scatter a bed of rubble around for them.

Your placement should work fine.

Mine look like yours - just bigger! I remember when they were the size of the frag plug. They are directly under the light, on the sand, resting against the rock as you can see in this pic. (Ignore the zoas - they are in the process of getting relocated!)

51117975031_c8df402954_b.jpg

• Like 1
1 hour ago, SeaFurn said:

Your placement should work fine.

Mine look like yours - just bigger! I remember when they were the size of the frag plug. They are directly under the light, on the sand, resting against the rock as you can see in this pic. (Ignore the zoas - they are in the process of getting relocated!)

that looks great. but i want about 20 of them 🙂 so might add a 3rd and 4th color and then hope they start multiplying. 

it might be my imagination but seems the orange wants to move toward the rock it's next to. i'll have to wait a few days and see if it moves. it's touching it now and at the edge of its plug.