inTank Media Baskets

Pico extension tank

Xj reefing

Welcome to my pico thread this idea of mine has been in the works for a little while now. 

let’s start with the theory behind this. So I wanted another tank so I could house mushrooms and other soft coral without my other lps corals getting in the way (which one big hammer has). I did not want to have to use a cooling fan on this tank nor did I have the budget for a chiller so I thought I could somehow link up the 2 tanks. U went through multiple stages of development of how to get water in or out but eventually decided to drill a hole in the base of the tank I bought and have a pipe leading water from the extension tank back to the sump where a pump would be getting it into the other tank. Over the last couple of days I have put this into action and started construction.

inhabitants:

coral:

mushrooms

gsp

pulsing xenia

zoas 

Leathers

maybe a Duncan if I have room

fish: 

if possible a green or yellow clown goby

inverts:

Peppermint shrimp 

turbo snail

equipment:

small pump

maybe A small internal filter for water movement

The stock light that comes with aqua ones mini reefs

• Like 1

You could adjust your lighting to look whiter. Some mushroom corals don't glow under blue lights, so look better with white to show off their colors. And if your lighting is anything close to how it looks in the photos, it's VERY blue right now. 

Beyond that, leave it alone. It might gain a bit of color if it was in bad conditions before and you've improved on them, but that's probably just how it looks. 

The tank is looking really good and I am currently trying to convince my parents to buy me a new light. I have decided that I want either another ai prime or a kessil a80. What light do u think would be better?

the mushroom i removed from my 20 gallon has now been placed into a cup with various rocks and snail shells so it can attach to something without getting blown away. It is so far doing good in there and I think it has attached but it is still staying quite small. My fluffy mushroom is giant today

F29A7679-CFF7-4382-ADF0-C96D91B7FFDC.jpeg

BED3E5E8-24E4-4061-A71E-B7805B32CE58.jpeg

1A9D1FAE-311D-4485-8FD9-5C10294AA93E.jpeg

CB9AF613-A57A-4E06-B327-356BBFA73D46.jpeg

As much as I love my Kessil A80, it really isnt suitable for much more than illuminating a 12x12x12 area of tank. Or if you want to concentrate on something like NPS corals so I would go for the AI Prime that way if you do go larger in the future you have the option of adding that or potentially a second 

Yesterday I got a peppermint shrimp for the tank. I had one in my 20 gallon until my wrasse ate it. I will be getting a ai prime late next week. Just though I would all so share a picture of my lovely purple fire fish on here🤫

2431E1C7-6F63-49FF-B108-2CA529C061C7.jpeg

2B934424-48D2-4559-8BBA-E570921C9102.jpeg

176632C5-E6D0-4A07-8AE6-97800320C1E2.jpeg

• Like 2
Daniel92481
2 hours ago, Xj reefing said:

Yesterday I got a peppermint shrimp for the tank. I had one in my 20 gallon until my wrasse ate it. I will be getting a ai prime late next week. Just though I would all so share a picture of my lovely purple fire fish on here🤫

2431E1C7-6F63-49FF-B108-2CA529C061C7.jpeg

2B934424-48D2-4559-8BBA-E570921C9102.jpeg

176632C5-E6D0-4A07-8AE6-97800320C1E2.jpeg

Nice! I like it! 🙂

• Like 1
Daniel92481

I believe so. It’s a normal process that they go through about once a month, or two. Lots of different info out there on triggers, such as iodine levels, stress, or even whether or not to leave the molt in the tank. 

I used to keep the molt in the tank because the shrimp will eventually eat it since it’s packed with nutrients. I recently started taking it out though because the red color of the shell was confusing me with cyano.

• Haha 1

My other shrimp that got eaten by my wrasse molted every month and I just left the molt in there. I was doing a bit more reading on it and it seemed normal for new shrimp to molt when the just get in the tank

• Like 1

It's not known exactly what factors trigger molting, but it's common for crustaceans to molt when newly introduced to a tank.

A successful molt means the animal is reasonably healthy, and has enough iodine in the tank. When it's not in response to a stress, it's generally a good sign, yes.

Xj reefing

Today I went to a fish store 40 mins away for the first time ever. I don’t know why I haven’t been there in my 1 year reefing journey but I will definitely go again. I got 3 zoas, 1 5 dollar lps coral that I forgot the name of, 1 pocillopora and a ultra green star mat. I also picked up a small trochus snail for the tank. The pocillopora and the $5 one went in my 20 gallon (for lighting and flow reasons) and the Rest in the pico. On the snail there seems to be a small invert and I have no idea what it is. I will add more pictures tomorrow when everything is out.

8D8D60CE-7BEA-4368-9C3F-EDBFB8560AB4.jpeg

2CC35C00-9959-4D75-9342-7A39F9527BF9.jpeg

126D2727-5764-4386-8F21-2EF8739A12F5.jpeg

486D11A0-E3BE-4367-90B0-5C0BF010F20A.jpeg

A0FBF751-23C8-4421-8016-0EED5A18F4C8.jpeg

• Like 2
Xj reefing

Set it up after a while. The light is the HD version so it took me a long time to figure out how to work it with wifi because my other 1 is the 16hd which is Bluetooth. The tank looks really good and so do the corals

• Like 1

The thing on the snail looks like probably a small bivalve of some sort, or maybe a slipper snail. Keep an eye on it, see if it moves.