Pod Your Reef

Royal Gramma feeding question

Jakesaw

I'm in my 2nd week with new Royal Gramma. 

When I got him - he had recently been shipped to my LFS.   I picked him up while they were unbagging shipments. 

When I got the fish he took a day to eat, but on day 2, he was an absolute pig.  Eating 20 bites of Frozen brine shrimp.  Had an over healthy appetite for a few more days.  Last 2 days, he comes out during feeding time, eats food, but is only taking a few bites full and then he isn't as interested in eating, but does continue to swim around in a behavior that looks like he's scurrying for food.

I've read that in nature, they primarily eat zooplankton and phytoplankton.  Is it possible he's grazing on green algae on my rocks during the day.  Should I be looking for something else to feed my RG?

He's pretty active

Shows no signs of stress

Has a healthy girth to him

Phosphorus = 0

Nitrate = 0

Any thoughts / suggestions appreciated

Thanks

I'm hoping that they are gut loaded brine shrimp, because the shrimp themselves have very little nutrition in them.  Frozen mysis are more nutritious.

4 hours ago, Jakesaw said:

Is it possible he's grazing on green algae on my rocks during the day.

It's a carnivore.  If it appears that it's eating algae, it's probably just hunting pods.

You can try various meaty foods.

4 hours ago, Jakesaw said:

Last 2 days, he comes out during feeding time, eats food, but is only taking a few bites full and then he isn't as interested in eating

Anything else unusual, like signs of Ich?

No ich.  

The fish has excellent bright coloration.  no white spots.  

RG hasn't eaten floating pellets b/c they float.  He likes to eat in water column.  I have seen him eat crab Cuizine pellets.  Maybe I'll toss one of those in to see how RG responds.. 

I do want to get a more varied diet.  I'd prefer not to be doing frozen food every day. 

dip a pinch of just a couple pellets under the water then release them. they won't float on the surface. repeat a few times if he gets a taste for them. or you could soak them for a minute in tank water.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Lost the little guy last night. Found him stuck to side of my Koralia circulation pump.  No visible signs of illness.  Only that since I put my 5 corals in ( 2 of them by his preferred cave openings in sand ), he became more recluse, found 2 new hiding caves, and was out swimming less with less of an appetite.  

Really liked the RG, for about 2 weeks, he became good buddies with Clown, but only lived 3 weeks in my tank.

I think 10 gallon was a little small for a fish as shy as this one.  He became comfortable in his home and I was re-arranging the furniture as am growing in the hobby.  

I need another fish for Clown to friend - should I wait a week or few to see if the clown develops any signs of illness caught from RG.  Right now he is looking / acting healthy and normal.

Royal Gramma - RIP

• Sad 1