Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Monti Cap Discoloration and Slime

DevWin

I have had this monti frag for a month or two, seemed to be content as far as I could tell until this morning.

I noticed a slime trailing off of it and after work today it had a coat of slime in one area, was discolored, and looked completely different. 

I haven’t made any changes other than adding some zoas and a ricordea.  

salinty is 1.027~ Temp is 79. The only water test I have is the API 5 in 1 but based on that all looks good- low/no nitrites or nitrates, ph and kh are same/consistent.

the only odd thing that has happened is the loss of a blue legged hermit this morning. My son did knock the frag off the rock like a week and a half ago but no damage and it wasn’t encrusting on the rock so just the glue came loose. 

I have lost two blue legged hermits and an emerald crab over the last 2-3 weeks but one was injured and not much for them to eat.

any idea what’s going on? Anything  I can do?

thanks!

2C6D4707-5F41-4633-B4F5-64835F825329.thumb.jpeg.3fe53ed7c09ad50e9e88980eeeaa91e5.jpeg

FA7ED5BA-AC8D-4657-89E8-E3A3ED1F35A1.jpeg

EEB3AAD7-CBD8-409B-BEC2-8815618DDFCD.jpeg

E35BB5ED-9192-4DC0-8A90-41308BD0022E.jpeg

DBCEDEDE-3AFA-4775-AE6D-225F45FC2CFF.jpeg

5C3B0C11-DBB3-41C4-ADBB-28A2EE3CADB6.jpeg

mitten_reef
12 minutes ago, DevWin said:

I am wondering if it is Rapid Tissue Necrosis? Caused by an infection/parasite.  Anyone have experience with this?

here is a resource I found in it 

https://coralrtn.com

Coral rtn is more often associated with fluctuations in alkalinity. That’s the first I heard of this parasite theory. 
but either way, if it were rtn’ing, yours would be gone in a day, two max. 
did it wallow in the sand bed for long when it fell off? Did it roll into any other corals while not attached?  Your description sounds like a contact damage with other corals, they get into chemical warfare 

• Thanks 1

thanks for the reply!!

Oh ok good to know about the Alk. It’s only a 10 gal tank so that is possible I’d assume? I did a water change before adding the Zoa and ricordea, not sure if that would freak it out? Def odd to me how it looks like it’s on that front edge.

I reattached the monti almost immediately so wasn’t off long.  The LFS mentioned it sounded like it got stung too but I don’t know what would have done it. I have Xenia, GSP, a green lepto and what I have been calling an orange psammocora. And just added the orange ricordea and zoa. All are pretty small frags and about 6” apart.

I have seen the lepto send sweepers out but I don’t know if they could reach?

But I also am just learning so I have no idea lol. 

The monti is my favorite so pretty bummed. should I just let it ride and see what happens? Dip it? Frag it?

Haha good to hear, thanks! I’ll ride it out and hope for the best. 

although if it dies that doesn’t bode to well for the welfare of my other corals under my care 😅lol