SaltCritters.com

Snails that won’t climb out

Xj reefing

I have a an orange ring/money cowrie that never has and I've had it idk like 8 or more years I guess. It never comes out the water. They are hard to find tho. Alot if other cowrie spices are not reef safe so be carefull you know what you are getting if you want one. Most of the ones that like to dig in the substrait are less likely to try it. Narsius and cerith come to mind. If you have a good top on the tank snails are alot less likely to crawl out.

• Like 1
SaltyGallon
26 minutes ago, DevilDuck said:

Astraea, marginella, trochus, nassarius snails do not climb out of the water. 

This is not true in my experience - I've had trochus and nassarius in all of my tanks and they've all climbed out the water. Trochus in particular seem to actually enjoy drying off!

• Haha 1
35 minutes ago, DevilDuck said:

Astraea... snails do not climb out of the water tank.

I almost completely agree.  However, I did step on one last week.  It must have climbed up a power cord and then fell off.  They are a good choice for a herbivorous snail, along with Trochus snails.

1 hour ago, LazyFish said:

I have a an orange ring/money cowrie that never has and I've had it idk like 8 or more years I guess. It never comes out the water. They are hard to find tho.

I like mine too.  John at Reef Cleaners has them in stock at a pretty good price: https://www.reefcleaners.org/aquarium-store/tank-cleaners/dwarf-or-ringed-cowrie-detail

• Like 2
Randall S Simpson

I've never had a virgin nerite climb out, but the general verites want to go for a walk on my tile.

One of the cerith is the same way, I think they are the dwarf ones, but they all look so close to each other.  They bury themselves in the day and come out in mass at night.

Limpets just want out at all costs, I've been avoiding them since they just keep ending up on the lighting or the floor.

Reefcleaners has alot of cheap snails so you might want to try 1-5 of the smaller ones,  I have snails ranging from .25"+ from them so some of them did not run for the hills.

Adding odd things together can be very interesting, I have a 4g Pistol/Shrimp/Decorator crab tank with alot of burrowing snails.  When the pistol shrimp is bull dowsing he scoops up the snails along with the sand!