Innovative Marine Aquariums

what can i put with an aggressive clarki clownfish in a 20 gallon cube?

genodesconte

genodesconte

i bought a set up 20 gallon reef cube with the clownfish and a carpet anemone included from my lfs. i dont want to return the clownfish. the lfs put the two in the 20 because they were killing live stock, apparently the female clownfish killed her mate. i would really like to be able to add some of my own livestock having never owned a saltwater tank and always wanting certain fish and inverts that could only live in a marine environment. the clownfish attacks my hand(hurts a decent amount) as well as the algae scraper i feel like this is most likely because of an undersized tank and feeling threatened i read that they should have atleast 55 gallons. theres a decorator crab in the tank who does fine as well as some hermits( i have seen one or two get thrown into the anemone) which leads me to believe the clownfish may tolerate some tank mates. the girl working at the lfs laughed at the question of whether its possible to put any other fish with her. id really like to be able to add some shrimp or gobies. i would really like to add a goby pistol shrimp pair. i dont know allot about marine fish behavior but i do keep cichlids and other aggressive species and i can usually find something thats capable of living with them. so would it be a waste of money to try to add tankmates and does anyone have any suggestions on what might be able to live with such an aggressive clownfish? if i cant get anything else i may just add more decorator crabs.

21998888-9360-4015-B48B-499384FCC1BC.jpeg

• Wow 1

That's so neat.  Unfortunately, I feel that the girl at the LFS was probably right; another fish is likely out of the question in such a small tank.  But I get wanting to experience other fish, especially since that, if well taken care of, the anemone and fish could last a couple of decades.

If a shrimp is smart enough to give her space, it might work.  However, I had a territorial clownfish that bit half the legs off of one of my shrimp (they fully grew back after a couple of molts).

I had an issue with a biting clownfish, so I started wearing these heavy gloves.  At that point, I just let her try to bite me and showed no fear.  I swear that being afraid of them reinforces their aggressive tendency.  It was funny how she eventually reacted to the gloves.  And after awhile, she seemed to lose interest in me too (even without the gloves).  But this was in a 100 gallon tank.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Clarkii's are very aggressive and as previously advised by others, the chances of any other fish surviving, is very low.

Many hobbyists learn that clowns are cute but inevitably become more aggressive and territorial with maturing.

I had 2 very docile ocellaris but after 5.5yrs they became very aggressive with their tank mates and had to be rehomed to their own tank.

You could try various cuc but fish wise, i think you are stuck with 1 clarkii or rehome her and get the fish you want

As the others have said its unlikely that her aggression is going to be sated anytime soon, especially if she's established herself within the anemone. Gorgeous fish though would be happy to have her in my tank I love Clarkii's 

• Like 1
genodesconte

okay so i definitely cant add any fish. what about inverts? im pretty sure she knows the decorator crab is a crab because ive seen her notice it moving. id really like to add coral banded shrimp or would those simply be thrown into the anemone ? and could a pistol shrimp survive because they can burrow?