Coral Vue Hydros

Why am I getting two different readings?

TakenAuthority

TakenAuthority

Hi guys,

I do routine tank water checks and use Red Sea Ammonia to test for ammonia. I started to show a high level of ammonia (around 1.0 ppm). I immediately did a re-test to double check and prepared to move my fish to do a water change and identify what was causing this spike. I did then a Nitrite/Nitrate test which returned 0 Nitrite and a small amount of Nitrate but still around 1.0 ppm ammonia. So normal Nitrite and Nitrate levels and irregular ammonia levels. My tank's water temp is 25C (77F) and salinity is normal.

Confused by this, I took a water sample to my LFS who did a thorough test and told me my water parameters are perfect, no issues. I bought the only other brand of ammonia test kit they had in stock at that time, Pro JBL Aquatest; took it home and it's showing me 0 ammonia, yet I'm still getting high ammonia results with my old Red Sea Ammonia test kit.

Has this ever happened to anyone before? I got this Red Sea Ammonia test kit about a month ago from the same LFS which has always shown 0 ammonia. I'm even using different/brand new vials to avoid any contamination in testing. Is this a dodgy Red Sea test kit? My LFS said it would be a first as they're advocates of anything Red Sea related.

Pictures below;

1205371572_WhatsAppImage2021-04-06at13_37_17.thumb.jpeg.3f9b6bc100195e8992b09455628885f1.jpeg

Would say that the Red Sea kit is giving a false reading but why I’m not sure. It’s good that you double checked with another test kit. Has the RS kit expired? 

I'd add an ammonia badge and see what it says.

If that shows 0, your jbj shows 0, and lfs test shows 0- you then know its the red sea tester.

If its expired, that could be why but if it isn't i'd contact them.

• Like 1