SaltCritters.com

Just another new reefer

Matt_p1084

Hey, just joined.

I have setup a new tank just recently, have a made a big mistake a few days ago, which is how i came across this forum, which i need too post about tomorrow, as i cannot do anything about it at this time. 

Not new too fish keeping, have had tropical setups and my last tank before i had to shut it down was puffers (F8).

First time with marine though and im worried ive made a big mistake already, as i really really over dosed ammonia.

Hoping this forum is more friendly than the last i joined. Will get a decent post up tomorrow, when i will also have some other test results.

Just wanted to say hello !

• Like 4

Welcome.

9 hours ago, Matt_p1084 said:

First time with marine though and im worried ive made a big mistake already, as i really really over dosed ammonia.

As long as there isn't any livestock (or live rock) in your tank, it'll be alright.

When dosing ammonia to build up a biofilter on dry rock:

• Dose ammonia (usually ammonium chloride) to 2 ppm
  • Wait for ammonia to drop down to 0.25 ppm
  • Repeat until the tank can process 2 ppm of ammonia down to 0.25 ppm within 24 hours

If in the process (for whatever reason), either ammonia or nitrite measure 5 ppm or higher, change out enough water to bring them both below 5 ppm; then wait until they drop to 0.25 ppm before proceeding.  Once complete, do a large enough water change to drop nitrate below 5 ppm.

• Like 2

If either ammonia or nitrite are over 5 ppm, then do a large enough water change to bring these levels below 5 ppm (then wait it out).  This is because the process tends to slow if these values are 5 ppm or higher.

ok i cant get to the LFS for a few days, so ill keep testing and keeping a record.

Would i be ok to rescape, im really not happy with it. I dont want to cause any issues ?

Im even tempted to remove a small amount of rock.

1 hour ago, Matt_p1084 said:

Would i be ok to rescape, im really not happy with it. I dont want to cause any issues ?

Sure, change it up if you wish (even remove some if you want).

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Rearranged the rock a bit, tested tonight and topped the ammonia up again, as it finally cleared for the 2nd time, annoying someone dispatched some zoas and some gsp so im hoping im kinda out the really bad stage by monday.

starting to get diatoms i think, going to shit hot on water changes and tests.

• Like 1