SaltCritters.com

Trachy dying!

Xj reefing

Are you target feeding it?  Is the alkalinity level stable?  Anything irritating it (like nearby corals or anemones)?  How about leather corals which might produce chemical warfare?  How long have you had it?  What are your tank's nutrient levels (phosphate and nitrate)?

I do target feed it regularly but I just went away for 5 days so I was unable to do so. I have pulled out in the the past quite a few bristle worms. It has been in the tank for around 6 months now and last time I check my nitrates were about 20 and phosphate was at a good level.

1 hour ago, Xj reefing said:

phosphate was at a good level

That could mean anything from 0.00 ppm to 1.0 ppm, depending on who you talk to.  Do you have an actual number, and is it stable at that level?

So I'm guessing that you haven't been monitoring alkalinity.  Alkalinity instability is always something that I consider when LPS are having problems.

Also, have you been dosing anything (supplements, cures, etc)?

I have set up a dosing pump that doses alk and calcium. The alkalinity has been rising slowly as it was very low. All my other corals are fine so I don’t know what else it could be because my understanding is that if alk is the issue then other corals would be doing the same. Also a week or 2 ago I had a hammer stinging it so I moved the hammer and it no longer stings it. Later today I will get a exact number of phosphate 

2 hours ago, Xj reefing said:

I have set up a dosing pump that doses alk and calcium. The alkalinity has been rising slowly as it was very low.

What are the current levels, and how low were they?

2 hours ago, Xj reefing said:

All my other corals are fine so I don’t know what else it could be because my understanding is that if alk is the issue then other corals would be doing the same.

While other stony corals might also exhibit issues, some corals are more tolerant than others.  I wouldn't rule out alkalinity as a contributor, especially since, "it was very low".  But obviously another coral stinging it would explain things too.

Recovery can take awhile.  Hopefully it won't get any worse in the time being.

If I had access to a coral band saw, I'd might even consider cutting off the damaged section.  Without one, I'd probably just hope that it recovers.