Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Any idea what this is?

mmbaba

I broke run 15b of noob nano-tank club.... "don't impulse buy" and I have no idea what these are... Can anyone fill me in? (Photo is way too blue, they are really light green / yellow at the center with a subtle red outer).

I bought this rock which two distinct colored coral on them (light green and red). For the first couple of weeks, both colors came out to play just fine but my emerald crabs were keen to clean out any yummies from the LFS and now, two weeks later, the red ones won't come out at all while the light green appear to be perfectly happy.

I'm running an AI Prime 16HD Reef and am keeping the colors to just blue and UV at the moment to try to keep some algae under control, could it be the color mix that has the red ones a little upset or should I blame the crabs?

Thanks in advance.

IMG_5504.jpeg

@Murphych - thank you - I feel like an idiot.. I bought them because I thought they were Zoas but all the pictures I've seen of Zoas look much larger / flatter than what I'm seeing in my tank so I assumed I'd gotten it wrong. At least now I know what I've got so can start trying to make sure they have what they need, thank you.

I've attached a screenshot of my schedule, as you can see, it's all blue and UV and the max brightness period has been reduced recently to try to help with that algae. I was running the BRS AB+ settings up until a little while ago which included some soft white and a small amount of red / green so I'll go back to that and see if it wakes up the other Zoas (although the reduction of white, red and green does seems to be working with the algae...).

Thanks again for your help.

IMG_5506.PNG

Murphs_Reef

Yeah that schedule looks good, if the zoas are reaching up, ie they are reaching for the light, bring the intensity up a little bit, think about adding a little bit of white but only a few percent. I leave red and green at 0..

Dont worry about coral ID mate! But is worth knowing / researching a bit before you buy... I have so many incompatible things in my tank and end up having to manage battles between corals, inverts and fish.. my sump is the prison tank, it lets some inverts cool off for a few days before they are set free in to the display tank (aka my bad impulse buys 🤣)

Murphs_Reef

I think.you need to just know about Palytoxin and not worry about it... 

I always forget and just handle them/frag them with no gloves or eye protection on.. 

They spit out at you when fragging sometimes. 

• Thanks 1
Nathans_Reef
3 hours ago, mmbaba said:

@Nathans_Reef was that comment directed at me? Are you saying these Zoas are toxic? Man, I need to read more before I buy...

Definitely, zoanthids are extremely toxic, just research about them on YouTube. Dont touch zoas without gloves and when i take mine out of the tank to frag or glue to rocks i always where a mask and eye protection just incase they squirt water out or something. 

They are beautiful in the aquarium though, dont let the toxins put you off. 👍

Murphs_Reef
44 minutes ago, Nathans_Reef said:

Definitely, zoanthids are extremely toxic, just research about them on YouTube. Dont touch zoas without gloves and when i take mine out of the tank to frag or glue to rocks i always where a mask and eye protection just incase they squirt water out or something. 

They are beautiful in the aquarium though, dont let the toxins put you off. 👍

A little extreme, but I get your sentiment. 🤣 Just don't be daft and boil, or disturb zoas and its fine.. I always manage fragging them under water so they done expose to the air... 

It's about being sensible...

Nathans_Reef
38 minutes ago, Murphych said:

A little extreme, but I get your sentiment. 🤣 Just don't be daft and boil, or disturb zoas and its fine.. I always manage fragging them under water so they done expose to the air... 

It's about being sensible...

It may be a bit extreme but its better safe then sorry. 

• 2 weeks later...