inTank Media Baskets

Boyu TL550

EC Nano Reef

EC Nano Reef

Hi Everyone , i am not sure if this Forum is for people all over the world , i am from South Africa , i have a 128L Boyu TL550 mixed reef that has been running for 1 year and 3 months . 

Equipment is as follows 

lighting - 1 x 90W wireless pharos Led unit.

flow - 2 x 4000L sun sun power heads 

return - 1200L boyu return pump

heater - 1 x 150w heater

skimmer - Tunze 9004

please let me know if would like some more information :)

20210315_201759.thumb.jpg.5454efdfb4f68a98addc41829399f283.jpg

• Like 3
  • Wow 2
EC Nano Reef

my current stock 3 x lyre tail anthias , 1 x blue chromis 1 x purple fire fish and 1 x convict tang. 

i do a 25L water change once a week with salt mix , i am currently dosing KH and Calcium using aqua forest products . 

IMG_20210311_090807_886.thumb.jpg.869324b6219f7b04f96b17b3c0534c55.jpgIMG_20210312_091154_310.thumb.jpg.a745c9218442e19036b88d1ddd4d3a4f.jpgIMG_20210315_104930_430.thumb.jpg.3784e0aaeae3c5e7e5fb80fed8f0388b.jpgIMG_20201202_102128_871.thumb.jpg.372b83ea95215e1e311d9a695547440a.jpgIMG_20210225_102005_454.thumb.jpg.d4a7f82cf5fdcdc542ee4db1902e0a91.jpgIMG_20210303_202728_166.thumb.jpg.05af6f7091c50e062926760085a9049e.jpg

• Like 2
EC Nano Reef
On 4/1/2021 at 4:48 PM, debbeach13 said:

Welcome to NR. Yes we have members from all around the world. That is a very nice looking setup. Is this your first reef tank?

hi there , thank you so much !! it is my second setup, but i am using the same tank :)

On 4/1/2021 at 6:20 PM, DevilDuck said:

Love that GSP wall! Welcome to NR!

Thank you !! my Copepods love it too , its like a little hotel in there for them . 

EC Nano Reef

i Just Dropped my latest video guys please check it out , subscribe to my channel , please share it and like it :)  alos HD version should be up tomorrow . 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
EC Nano Reef

Hi Guys had some pretty bad weather the day i was doing my water change so i decided to pull out my skimmer , shake of my bio filtration in some old tank water and just five the tank an overall nice clean .
there is much life in my tank different pods , feather dusters , pineapple sponges , serpent stars , little bristle worms , spaghetti worms , and a lot of baby turbo's .

Photo's are during the cleaning process .

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
EC Nano Reef

img_20210425_144347_548-jpg.226188

Hi Guys , i have been lazy to do an update .... although not that much to say :m01: but lets start with the above photo of the open brain , so i was so lucky that somone was willing to trade me, his copper band and regal decided they enjoyed the taste of the open brain so its now in my tank and its getting more and more beautiful by the day :m07:.The biggest issue i am sitting with at the moment is the fan in my main pharos unit stopped working ..... i do have 2 units but the spare one for some reason or other does not want to connect to the wireless controller and it also doesnt allow me to ramp up the unit manually either anyway long story short both units are now being fixed (the one the gent is having some trouble with ) alteast the main one is fixed , i have also had new brackets made for the lights so "IF" we get the second unit fixed i will be running both Pharos units on my tank . incase you were wondering yes i do have a light on my tank currently a local reefer was nice enough to borrow me one of his spare units .

i am probably about halfway through with the Poseidon lair pro Reef salt and personally i can say its a really great salt for SPS tanks (nothing wrong for a mixed reef either ) but the growth i have had since using the salt is absolutely amazing !!! i will look for 2 photos to upload where you guys can see the growth for yourselves . 

This weekend i am getting 2 new corals i am pretty excited as i have never had them before :thumbup: i wont tell you guys so it will give you all a reason to come back lol, and maaaaaybe a new fish nothing special though ....
i am battling to try upload photo's for now but the fault is my side ....

• Like 1
EC Nano Reef

Hi there guys so here are the new additions i got a a lumo green leptoseris , meteor shower cyphastrea and lastly a cleaner wrasse .
the plan with the 2 encrusting corals is to place on on the gaps i have once they start growing out i think it will look good . i decided to get a cleaner wrasse as i have never actually owned one its always been one of my favorite fish, i have always wanted to catch my own one though i just have never been lucky enough . lastly of course a full tank shot . also thank to everyone who watches my videos i really appreciate the support.

20210508_192320-jpg.22640320210508_192522-jpg.226404screenshot_20210510-093225_whatsapp-jpg.226406

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
EC Nano Reef

Afternoon guys , i have possibly managed to find a new light for my tank , a light i never though i would ever own the EcoTech Radion XR30 Gen3 .... my pharos unit should be home soon after getting a new fan fitted , i love that light and its given me the past year of success with my tanks growth but it is always nice for an upgrade not to mention exciting .
i sold my to frog spawns 2 of my favorite pieces but i have to sacrifice some stuff .i recently started dosing Mag as well using aqua forest . here are a few random close ups i took last night .

•  

20210524_214607.jpg

IMG_20210520_184414_920.jpg

IMG_20210524_222032_534.jpg

IMG_20210524_222032_598.jpg

IMG_20210524_222032_644.jpg

IMG_20210524_222032_721.jpg

IMG_20210524_222032_756.jpg

IMG_20210524_222032_796.jpg

• Like 2
  • Wow 2
  • 3 weeks later...
EC Nano Reef

so my lights went in t have new fans fitted , i got it back and without making sure they are working i returned the one i had borrowed from a mate . turns out my light was not fixed i went to the shop came back my light was boiling hot .... i have a new light on its way however i still need to make a plan and find a way to hang it ... so my tank is sitting without a light today , luckily i am able to borrow the other one again :)

•  

• IMG_20210612_203753_221.jpg

• IMG_20210612_203753_276.jpg

• IMG_20210612_203753_324.jpg

• IMG_20210612_203753_441.jpg

• IMG_20210612_203753_489.jpg
  • Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
EC Nano Reef
Good morning guys , so i got the light Friday !!! messed around with it that evening and Saturday decided it was time to make a plan and hang it i went a pretty simple route getting 2 L shaped brackets they are abit bigger than normal but it was the only solution i could think of with my tank being at such an odd angle .
i have set the light to around 55-60% on the AB+ Schedule with one or 2 changes the light is abit higher for now i have done it this way instead of using the acclimation mode.
yesterday i ran my light on its first full cycle i can for sure say i can see a better colour and my corals looked pretty happy with the change too, even my acans got massive. check some photos from yesterday what do you guys think ?

Attachments

• 1 month later...
EC Nano Reef

I have now ordered a new salt and I am going to be trying something new as you know I recently bought the Radion too and I think a new change in salt is good too . My tank is officially fully stocked I do however want to add a 6 line wrasse and then I will call it a day. With regards to coral I am officially done for now just working on a new little zoa garden for the substrate and will be adding a little rock. tank is really starting to look like something , i got 2 new acans on order coming soon and a lephastrea was my first time ordering from this place but i am not going to use them ever again not impressed on the service at all ..... i also have a couple of new zoa frags coming nothing fancy but i dont have them so that is always nice i still want to add a frag of goblins on fire.

20210816_203216-jpg.22956320210816_201934-jpg.22956620210816_201801-jpg.229567

little additions I got image.gif.ec9a0c9a63651dba4d2e2c6998e8b269.gif super stocked they are beautiful and will make great additions to my garden

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/3/2021 at 4:56 PM, Christopher Marks said:

Looking good @EC Nano Reef! You've sculpted such an incredible reef, it's a pleasure to see it maturing well. I like the new zoo garden up front too!

I moved your journal into our Nano Reef Journals forum, it should get a little more attention here. 

thank you so much ! i will be honest i thought my tank was not good enough hence i did not post much , thank you for moving it :)

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

Hi Guys though i would do a live stock and equipment update .

light - Radion XR30 Gen 3 

Flow 2 x 4000L sun sun wave makers

Return 1 x 1500L boyu pump

Heater 1 x 150W and in winter i add a 85w 

Skimmer Tunze 9004

i dont have a auto top up or a doser i do everything manually.

live stock ( fish and inverts)

3 x lyre tail anthias

1 x purple fire fish 

1 x convict tang

1 x  green manderin 

1 x blue chromis

1 x srpinger damsel 

5 x turbo snails

1 x cleaner shrimp 

Currently dosing Aquaforest KH buffer , Calcium , magnesium and seachem aquavitro fuel ( i am looking at switching to DSR products quite popular in the Netherlands have you guys heard of it? )

i still do 25L water change every Sunday using aquaforest Reef salt. 

• Like 2
  • Wow 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi guys have not posted an update in abit my tank went through some wierd phase i lost a couple of zoa frags and my bubble gum didgi started bleaching (not dead though) my 3 anthias all got white spot too.
SG and temp were fine , oh and my GSP wall did not open for around 2 weeks , now not to be forward or anything yes my tank looks nice but its because i am always doing my weekly water changes ect so when i run into a problem like this i am sort of stuck because i honestly dont know the in depth water paramters i take care of my major elements and that is that .
i think i po4 was abit too high as i have recently started feeding my corals heavy .
good news is i left the tank do its thing and skipped one water change things are much better and its looking like its normal self again , Sunday was time for a clean though as i could not go 3 weeks and not do my water change i siphoned out my rear chambers and found it was pretty dirty . i also started dosing some vibrant for some of my hard to get to bubble algae .

lastly i wanted to know does Aquavitro Fuel expire ? i got mine in the fridge it was a 1L but with my tank being so small you can imagine how slowly i use it would it pose problems if it was old and i continued to use it ?

sam_the_reefer
4 hours ago, EC Nano Reef said:

Hi guys have not posted an update in abit my tank went through some wierd phase i lost a couple of zoa frags and my bubble gum didgi started bleaching (not dead though) my 3 anthias all got white spot too.
SG and temp were fine , oh and my GSP wall did not open for around 2 weeks , now not to be forward or anything yes my tank looks nice but its because i am always doing my weekly water changes ect so when i run into a problem like this i am sort of stuck because i honestly dont know the in depth water paramters i take care of my major elements and that is that .
i think i po4 was abit too high as i have recently started feeding my corals heavy .
good news is i left the tank do its thing and skipped one water change things are much better and its looking like its normal self again , Sunday was time for a clean though as i could not go 3 weeks and not do my water change i siphoned out my rear chambers and found it was pretty dirty . i also started dosing some vibrant for some of my hard to get to bubble algae .

lastly i wanted to know does Aquavitro Fuel expire ? i got mine in the fridge it was a 1L but with my tank being so small you can imagine how slowly i use it would it pose problems if it was old and i continued to use it ?

Wanted to say your aqua scape is really nice. Hope you get the minor hiccup sorted out.

Aquavitro Fuel does expire and the date should be somewhere on the bottle. However, I've used Fuel past its expiry date before and it didn't affect the tank much for me but I don't have any SPS so take my anecdote with a grain of salt.

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey guys so I would say my tank is pretty stable and as you know I do my weekly water changes. However I felt I was not giving things time to settle because boom its weekend water change again . As every reefer knows stability is key now my main reason for water changes was because I was adding so much extra into the tank feeding reef roids , coral delight , planktonyx coral feast as well as adding fuel . Now the feeding was twice a week once mid week and once an hour before I did my water change. Recently I have been doing my water change every second week still 25 L but now I am not adding as much extra stuff I am just letting the tank do its thing and ofcourse I am still dosing I got my ALk stable at 7.5 to 8 DKH my Cal at 400 to 420PPm and my MG at 1280 to 1350 PPM I have even stopped dosing fuel . Not constantly working with the tank ect gives me time to enjoy it and I can definitely say I can see so much more growth on everything. Don't get me wrong water changes work their magic but I think was the reef is nice and established its not necessary to do it as often as I was .

Here are some top downs I took the weekend , the acros at the back are unfortunately growing over my digis , unfortunately I didn't know the difference when placing them as I came from a full LPS tank I will add a photo of my TL550 before I did the rescape and how I started . Now my tank looks so different 4 years later the
Last photo there was the night I set up for the first time