Pod Your Reef

Frogspawn Detaching

SeaFurn

It seems my frogspawn wants to detach from its skeletal base. Other than that it appears pretty happy.

Has anyone had this happen and what should I do when it does - just glue it to a rock or drag plug? 

D4684FFD-ECEC-4579-B42B-041A5ABB5BAB.thumb.jpeg.39ecf5c2c828a84b34fe66db9bfa6291.jpeg

• Sad 2

it's most likely met its end. It'll bail out, at which point it's hard to save. Even now, it's probably hard to do much.

How was the flow on it? I had a torch coral bail out after being blown with mad flow for a week or so. 

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, Zer0 said:

Pretty sure that’s almost full blown polyp bailout, which means it is definitely not happy.

Oh wow...well it’s going out in a blaze of glory then. It’s the best it’s looked in weeks as far as puffiness and not being retracted goes. 

29 minutes ago, paulsz said:

it's most likely met its end. It'll bail out, at which point it's hard to save. Even now, it's probably hard to do much.

How was the flow on it? I had a torch coral bail out after being blown with mad flow for a week or so. 

It’s had pretty mild flow on it since I’ve had it (over a year) with no adjustments. 

9 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Ya, i've had it. Usually its due to parameters or too much flow.

I have never seen one survive after bail out. 

Such a bummer - I’ve had close eye on the parameters and nothing seems out of whack for a change (if you know the history of this tank!)

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
1 hour ago, SeaFurn said:

Oh wow...well it’s going out in a blaze of glory then. It’s the best it’s looked in weeks as far as puffiness and not being retracted goes. 

It’s had pretty mild flow on it since I’ve had it (over a year) with no adjustments. 

Such a bummer - I’ve had close eye on the parameters and nothing seems out of whack for a change (if you know the history of this tank!)

It truly sucks when it happens for no apparent reason.

• 2 weeks later...

So it’s been hanging on since I last posted but tonight it finally completely bailed. It’s now in the sand laying against the base of the rock. It’s still inflated and looks pretty good. What now? Leave it? Glue it to a frag plug or some rubble? 

F96D2042-A024-4D28-8F7C-CB4A27ABBADD.thumb.png.b602c1896342dbc874b18be4fc51b30c.png

Polyp bailout isn't necessarily always a death sentence. If conditions are favorable and nothing destroys/picks at it, it can still regrow its skeleton, but it is a very long process. I wouldn't glue it, but if you can wedge it between rocks so that it doesn't wind up floating around and getting blended up by a powerhead, it may be able to grow a new skeleton and attach to rock. I just wouldn't put too much hope in to it, because polyp bailout is, in most scenarios, the beginning of the end.

• Thanks 1

Found him a crevice in this piece of rubble. Seems to be doing fine still. Should be interesting to see if he can pull through and begin rebuilding from down in there. 

51117573031_ae66576b63_b.jpg

• Like 1
thecoralbeauty

When this has happened to me its been because of a mg issue. If you haven't already started looking at mag, keep an eye on it. it seems too low, too high, and a swing in mg are all problems for LPS.

crossing fingers it regrows skeleton!

• Like 1