Top Shelf Aquatics

Thoughts on getting a bubble tip. šŸ˜¬

TrashTank

I'm really debating getting a bubble tip for the sole clown in my 10g. I was also really considering a torch or a hammer as an alternative because I've heard they'll sometimes host those. Any thoughts between the two? I have more coral experience than anemone experience.Ā 

Ā 

I'm also worried about putting a bubble tip in a 10 gallon though. I'm sure it's possible. I technically have about 1/3 of the tank that's open space currently covered in a lawn of red ogo. I could remove a big chunk of that and relocate it pretty easily. It could also look dope resting up against the glass bottle in the trash tank. But what if the little bugger goes hiking around the tank you know?

Ā 

I'm so indecisive. Help!šŸ˜‚

NoOneLikesADryTang

Anemones will walk, itā€™s not an if, but a when.Ā 
Ā 

There is also a very good chance that the anemone will grow, and take up the entire tank. We had a bubble tip that grew to about 15ā€ across in our 80 Gallon tank, and it took up a third of that tank, killing everything close to it. Iā€™d probably pass on a bubble tipĀ anemone for a 10 gallon.Ā 

5 minutes ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

Anemones will walk, itā€™s not an if, but a when.Ā 
Ā 

There is also a very good chance that the anemone will grow, and take up the entire tank. We had a bubble tip that grew to about 15ā€ across in our 80 Gallon tank, and it took up a third of that tank, killing everything close to it. Iā€™d probably pass on a bubble tipĀ anemone for a 10 gallon.Ā 

That's kind of my fear and reasoning for wanting to go with something anemone like such as a torch or maybe even some frogspawn. Something that can be fragged if necessary.

Ā 

Thanks for the input. I loveĀ euphyllia anyway.šŸ‘

No guarantee clowns will host anything. Mine have a choice of a good size Bubble Tip, frogspawn, hammer, pulsing xena and long polyp toadstool but they rather sleep next to the return nozzle. I've tried chasing them into the BTA, putting up pictures of clowns in anemones on the glass, showing them hours of videos from my phone, and sliding them in to theĀ anemone with a plastic pipe.

Ā 

The clownsĀ hang around close to it and sometimes brush up against it the tentacles while hunting the rock work for copepods all the time but show no desire to live in it. Meanwhile, my two sexy shrimp hosts different corals every day.

Ā 

Ā 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
22 minutes ago, DevilDuck said:

No guarantee clowns will host anything. Mine have a choice of a good size Bubble Tip, frogspawn, hammer, pulsing xena and long polyp toadstool but they rather sleep next to the return nozzle. I've tried chasing them into the BTA, putting up pictures of clowns in anemones on the glass, showing them hours of videos from my phone, and sliding them in to theĀ anemone with a plastic pipe.

Ā 

The clownsĀ hang around close to it and sometimes brush up against it the tentacles while hunting the rock work for copepods all the time but show no desire to live in it. Meanwhile, my two sexy shrimp hosts different corals every day.

Ā 

Ā 

That gave me a good chuckle if I'm being honest.

Ā 

I think I've decidedĀ on a 2 head torch and we'll see what happens.

28 minutes ago, DevilDuck said:

. I've tried chasing them into the BTA, putting up pictures of clowns in anemones on the glass, showing them hours of videos from my phone,

That's funny.

Ā 

My clown is hosting a Royal Gramma I think

Ā 

Was an above rock swimmer til I gave him a friendĀ  this psat week.Ā  Now the Clown spends as much time as he can hovering over the RoyaL Gramma.Ā  It was the Clown's rock first, but he never cared much to visit the cave part belowĀ of it until someone moved into it.Ā Ā 

Ā 

The 2 fish seem to get along but I still have half a tank that nobody cares to swim in.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, DevilDuck said:

Ā I've tried chasing them into the BTA, putting up pictures of clowns in anemones on the glass, showing them hours of videos from my phone, and sliding them in to theĀ anemone with a plastic pipe.

Ā 

Ā 

yeah but did you try posting a sign pointing to the bubble tip that says "FREE XXX PEEP SHOW"? because that might lure 'em in.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 bta out grew my 10g in less than a yr and popped 2 babies in the process.

Ā 

They can and will move.

Ā 

There is no guarantee a clown will host it.Ā 

• Like 2
30 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

1 bta out grew my 10g in less than a yr and popped 2 babies in the process.

Ā 

They can and will move.

Ā 

There is no guarantee a clown will host it.Ā 

šŸ‘

I figured that was the case, but I wanted some opinions in case I was wrong. Seems like the overall consensus is the same as my gut feeling. Tbh I doubt the little guy will host anything, butĀ I just want him to have the option. HahaĀ 

Ā 

Thanks for the helpĀ guys! No BT for me.Ā 

1 hour ago, TrashTank said:

šŸ‘

I figured that was the case, but I wanted some opinions in case I was wrong. Seems like the overall consensus is the same as my gut feeling. Tbh I doubt the little guy will host anything, butĀ I just want him to have the option. HahaĀ 

Ā 

Thanks for the helpĀ guys! No BT for me.Ā 

My clown preferred the duncans and xenia to the bta.

Ā 

In my other tank my clowns hosted a frogspawn.

Ā 

I've had them host toadstool leathers too

We have two in our 20L one in a basket other one on a rock.

IMG_20210328_200306575.thumb.jpg.683a3f7582de52f20e06fab8039aea3e.jpg

Once they settle in their fine, but plan to trade them in when they get to big. It might be a few years but I think it's worth it. Just get a small one size of a quarter.šŸ˜ Don't feed them like pigs or they will grow fast.

We are going to a 60 cube down the road any ways.

• Like 1

Iā€™ve had two bta in my 10g for longer thanĀ a year, both donā€™t inflate more than 5 inches. They havenā€™t moved in probably 9 months.Ā I donā€™t spot feed mine. Theyā€™ve never split. IMO I think toadstools are the best alternative for a host to clownfish.Ā 

A5FD6C92-9E31-46F0-A92B-6A2A7CD6FA4A.jpeg

Well great now I'm looking at toadstools. Haha guys we were supposed to narrow my choices. šŸ˜† I also know nothing about them. I've never been a huge fan of leathers, but it's worth a research.Ā 

• Like 1