Jump to content
natalia_la_loca

Natalia’s Evo 13.5: baby snails!

Recommended Posts

natalia_la_loca

This tank is more or less on autopilot as I’ve been busy with other stuff this summer. At this point, no water changes in 3.5 months. There’s a big ugly green film on the back glass that I probably should clean. On the other hand, the snails are doing great. No bubble algae observed in last 3 weeks but I have zero doubt it’ll be back.

 

B8E7DBC4-E512-4796-A7C5-DFA3749F015A.thumb.jpeg.d65d6c1469d6eb47a09f7b55a0e8b735.jpeg

 

The ppl eaters have been closed for a while, no idea why. Other zoas are fine

678B4420-4162-45F5-A754-1A0BD75FA263.thumb.jpeg.34639a7abb8f4a6d9ca18be204e6719c.jpeg

 

5FFDE34E-B43D-4CB3-8EEB-56930ED31445.thumb.jpeg.2cb4bd7037a15387c3f900c0e85985f0.jpeg

 

CCC9125B-FBE8-4156-B133-8B82574FE8CA.thumb.jpeg.ee33a55d2367a29a6d177a273f9d7f86.jpeg

 

5D197778-35A2-4F49-9217-EDA7005BBC7D.thumb.jpeg.6ad05bd98350c8d10462472b00257a1a.jpeg

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Merthynia
On 6/28/2021 at 3:23 PM, natalia_la_loca said:

these zoas like this tank too, they’re growing…

DD616AF2-5B4B-40EC-9836-56D919E920FE.thumb.jpeg.db008f121645e4a781aee5fbf51396a9.jpeg

 

Wow! Natalia you’ve upgraded to a tank! I’ve always admired your reef bowls and I loved checking on the progress. I happened to stumble across this thread tonight and I have to ask if you know the name of the paly/zoa on the right of this image. They are my FAVORITE morph that I used to have in my 3 gallon and I’ve been trying for years to find those suckers. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
gena

That "big ugly green film on the back glass" is awesome!!!!  Plus your pods love it, I'm sure.  I know the pods in my tank are all over it.  Looking fabulous in there!!!!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
natalia_la_loca
17 hours ago, Merthynia said:

Wow! Natalia you’ve upgraded to a tank! I’ve always admired your reef bowls and I loved checking on the progress. I happened to stumble across this thread tonight and I have to ask if you know the name of the paly/zoa on the right of this image. They are my FAVORITE morph that I used to have in my 3 gallon and I’ve been trying for years to find those suckers. 

Yeah, I’m back in it, decided I wanted to have some fishies again ☺️ 
 

I think those zoas were sold to me as petroglyphs but they may be something different. I’ve had them for at least 3 years. They’re some kind of vamp morph. Here’s a pic of them from above that I took this afternoon. With diva damsel 

 

131E6FB2-6862-48C5-BD78-F86B9691C8D2.thumb.jpeg.2da617d8cb48aa7d6bf21bf3f308d1ff.jpeg

 

6 hours ago, gena said:

That "big ugly green film on the back glass" is awesome!!!!  Plus your pods love it, I'm sure.  I know the pods in my tank are all over it.  Looking fabulous in there!!!!!

Haha I’ll go with that 😆 the pods love it for sure!

  • Wow 1

Share this post


Link to post
Merthynia
15 minutes ago, natalia_la_loca said:

Yeah, I’m back in it, decided I wanted to have some fishies again ☺️ 
 

I think those zoas were sold to me as petroglyphs but they may be something different. I’ve had them for at least 3 years. They’re some kind of vamp morph. Here’s a pic of them from above that I took this afternoon. With diva damsel 

 

131E6FB2-6862-48C5-BD78-F86B9691C8D2.thumb.jpeg.2da617d8cb48aa7d6bf21bf3f308d1ff.jpeg

 

Haha I’ll go with that 😆 the pods love it for sure!

I love having little fish to dart around the tanks! Inverts are amazing, but nothing beats some of the tiny goby and wrasse species! Have you ran into aggressiveness with your damsel? I’ve thought about adding one to my 30 gallon tank, but I don’t need another jerk. :lol: 

 

That image is fantastic!! If you ever frag a polyp off, let me know! I’d love to buy one! 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
natalia_la_loca
5 hours ago, Merthynia said:

Have you ran into aggressiveness with your damsel? I’ve thought about adding one to my 30 gallon tank, but I don’t need another jerk. :lol: 

 

That image is fantastic!! If you ever frag a polyp off, let me know! I’d love to buy one! 

 

Tbh the only real aggression I’ve seen is from the dottyback, who pursued and nipped my pistol shrimp and watchman goby relentlessly until I had to rehome them. The dotty tries to go after the damsel too, but the damsel is way too fast.

 

I actually have a polyp from that colony growing out. It shrank a bunch because it was in the shade in my reefbowl but it’s growing again now that I’ve moved it to the nano. If it continues to get bigger and start to multiply, it’s all yours.

Share this post


Link to post
Merthynia
2 hours ago, natalia_la_loca said:

Tbh the only real aggression I’ve seen is from the dottyback, who pursued and nipped my pistol shrimp and watchman goby relentlessly until I had to rehome them. The dotty tries to go after the damsel too, but the damsel is way too fast.

 

I actually have a polyp from that colony growing out. It shrank a bunch because it was in the shade in my reefbowl but it’s growing again now that I’ve moved it to the nano. If it continues to get bigger and start to multiply, it’s all yours.

Nano-reef crashed and ate my comment from earlier it seems. I did not realize that dottybacks were that aggressive! I’ve never owned one myself. Do you have any secrets for your dragon’s breath? I’m pretty sure that’s what I spy there. The few times I’ve managed to get some, it’s turned bright orange and melted away.

 

Omg you are amazing! When I have some time and my laptop, I’ll try to link an image of the colony of those that I had, I’m positive they are the exact same. They are in my 3 gal thread.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
natalia_la_loca
On 8/30/2021 at 12:40 AM, Merthynia said:

Do you have any secrets for your dragon’s breath? I’m pretty sure that’s what I spy there. The few times I’ve managed to get some, it’s turned bright orange and melted away.

 

When I have some time and my laptop, I’ll try to link an image of the colony of those that I had, I’m positive they are the exact same. They are in my 3 gal thread.

It was sold to me as dragons tongue, halymenia durvillei. I don’t do anything special for it other than not doing water changes 😅 maybe dosing all-for-reef adds some trace elements it needs. I also have gracilaria hayi, which is super vigorous and great for nutrient export.

 

yeah I’d be curious to see if what you had is the same as these zoas! They’re really pretty and healthy, they’re one of the few zoas I’ve had that show a real feeding response.

Share this post


Link to post
natalia_la_loca

Tank is still doing great overall, despite the fact that it went without AFR dosing for a few days because i miscalculated the fluid volume in the dosing container and it ran dry. Nutrients also got really low because I got busy and let the macro grow too big. Possibly as a result of those things, I lost the people eaters 😞 and the pink goniopora isn’t looking happy. Hoping it will come back now that I’m being better about maintenance. The other corals look fine.

 

During the period of neglect, some bubble algae popped up again in the usual spots. It doesn’t seem to be spreading further. (Yet.) It’s still easy to pull the affected frags, remove manually and treat outside the tank. More coralline is growing now. It’s starting to compete with the green film algae on the back glass.

 

BTW I’m now dosing 8ml of Tommy’s Phyto (4 sp blend) daily, and 8 drops Brightwell coral aminos. Still no water changes. Running UV sterilizer 8 hrs nightly on a timer.

 

FTS

64E98DF2-0AEC-41CC-A074-E66257DE44CB.thumb.jpeg.348ea1837f6cf87647a2c26acdd85844.jpeg

 

2342E002-C4D8-4AD7-85C6-D41020945C66.thumb.jpeg.cb9bac255fda93389e80093b54b33367.jpeg

 

642063D2-26F1-4670-B815-79E5F6ACF0B9.thumb.jpeg.8d1da089371a3f3bc467cced7172155d.jpeg

 

This acan lost most of its color in the reefbowl. It’s looking much better now

E8DA9D77-6132-46FC-882D-E2B7D1AA73C9.thumb.jpeg.3afc1ce23028cbf1905e27993d98cac3.jpeg

 

FF2A8D9A-16CE-4958-9401-A0ABEAB7C2AB.thumb.jpeg.1b0f9ea162f2e4551bf114e4cb5a60ae.jpeg

 

This ric had some creepy red hair algae on it the other day. Pulled it, peroxide, back to tank, all clear.

27E474E8-06A1-483F-92CE-5D10F8205F16.thumb.jpeg.2fd8962000b605e447af3c5e0d89da34.jpeg

 

My stomatella snails are breeding!!!! Here’s a baby

F54CB251-820B-4D92-9186-78D3F71C3B23.thumb.jpeg.98c16ce3c287f36474e6c72df188afd4.jpeg


Finally, need to marvel at the healing powers of serpent stars. My harlequin serpent had some terrifying injuries a few months ago, I suspect because of the pistol shrimp (no new injuries since returning the shrimp to the LFS). The black and white pattern has also changed, maybe as part of the healing process? Idk.
 

Injury first spotted0AE757F4-1004-44F2-9C05-8EC526D98FAA.thumb.jpeg.ff1a0fd2abccf4700e67a13d37b5a5cc.jpeg

 

About 3 weeks later

BDFDAF1D-3560-4425-8455-E579E4B86805.thumb.jpeg.1ca72a03b02d900fb9ef262af10189cb.jpeg

 

Yesterday

69B8A2BF-22FF-485B-86E9-BAB403A16FFD.thumb.jpeg.a63f0f696e32be032c5f94325237581d.jpeg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
natalia_la_loca

Blue leg hermit has a baby trochus hat today 🥰

 

0694B81F-7927-403D-BE7F-A8160D696524.thumb.jpeg.5640d223a37204c5f3e8bf13e114f70e.jpeg
 

A617CDB2-A720-416E-B223-62868D31BB2F.thumb.jpeg.b89a93edb82ae80c7977e2de34021f89.jpeg

  • Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Wow 1

Share this post


Link to post
natalia_la_loca

This pic shows the little dots of pink coralline that are popping up everywhere. 
D8D37170-8E14-4745-B32A-7DF1DDC1C104.thumb.jpeg.54f6fcf7770097244eeecafa444261c7.jpeg


this tank may not be doing it for goniopora (thinking I might move it to the reefbowl, where my original 5 year old colony is still doing great) but nephthea, duncan and euphyllia are absolutely thriving. I love how they undulate in the current.

9608E22D-69C6-458C-81D4-94DB27691D26.thumb.jpeg.8ec3a9e7abe20aa6e21c2ece6e7dc2c8.jpeg

 

90925886-B7C5-4AF8-A0C1-309610B76646.thumb.jpeg.bec79afe9ba35a033279abb3030ebcef.jpeg
 

FTS

ED1BEADB-1B0D-4872-B53D-8CC1284D613E.thumb.jpeg.ca314f073c10a7525268e33a62dcabdf.jpeg

 

 

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
natalia_la_loca

Btw the porcelain crab still seems to be doing well, pops up occasionally at feeding time. Was hangin with the serpent star yesterday.

 

E8445B1E-9AFD-4867-8284-42D1C310C4D0.thumb.jpeg.b8432df7a4ef2b9142e7e5e24fe02485.jpeg

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recommended Discussions

×
×
  • Create New...