SaltCritters.com

What’s on my frogspawn

JohnathanW

I would agree that definitely looks like Valonia bubble algae, you'll want to get a Green Emerald Crab on that, stat !

You can manually get rid of it, but very carefully. Use your gravel cleaner, python or whatever you have and gently coax it off whilst sucking it out straight away, can release harmful gases into the aquarium.

15 minutes ago, Reef Reece said:

I would agree that definitely looks like Valonia bubble algae, you'll want to get a Green Emerald Crab on that, stat !

You can manually get rid of it, but very carefully. Use your gravel cleaner, python or whatever you have and gently coax it off whilst sucking it out straight away, can release harmful gases into the aquarium.

Not all bubble algae causes issues. Never had an issue with it taking over or even spreading.

Very easily removed manually.

Emerald crabs when eating it also pop them.

Simulated Fish
3 hours ago, Reef Reece said:

3 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Not all bubble algae causes issues. Never had an issue with it taking over or even spreading.

Very easily removed manually.

Emerald crabs when eating it also pop them.

This is a BIG myth in the reefing world. People say "use crabs!!" but "don't pop them!!!" do you think the crabs swallow them whole?! so silly. Just pull by hand what you can reach/see as it is a fairly slow growing and easy to manage algae if you add it you your normal husbandry list for a few weeks.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Simulated Fish said:

This is a BIG myth in the reefing world. People say "use crabs!!" but "don't pop them!!!" do you think the crabs swallow them whole?! so silly. Just pull by hand what you can reach/see as it is a fairly slow growing and easy to manage algae if you add it you your normal husbandry list for a few weeks.

Thats all i ever did. I just lightly twisted it till it broke off and pulled them out. I've never had an issue even if 1 or 2 popped.