Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

How does this look?

dwdenny

So I originally used the stax rocks. I do like them but in a Pico not so much. So I purchased 6 pounds of the CaribSea Life Rock. I chiseled one rock into three pieces and left one original size. I have not epoxied them and they seem stable on the table. I know it will look way different in the tank but what would you change possibly. Pardon the background Working in my classroom this morning since students are SAT testing until later so I took advantage of the time I had. The outline on the file folder is the size of the tank so i know I am not to big. 

8C7D554E-D311-4000-A842-29D664E9D018.thumb.jpeg.d0a0341bdd968fa5e6e15fe166accb08.jpeg

I think it looks good.  However, you don't have much room for corals on the sides of the rocks.  Plus, it might be hard to clean the walls.  People with picos deal with this all the time.  Many lay it out just like you have, while I like a little more negative space.  Aquascapes are very much a personal preference.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, seabass said:

I think it looks good.  However, you don't have much room for corals on the sides of the rocks.  Plus, it might be hard to clean the walls.  People with picos deal with this all the time.  Many lay it out just like you have, while I like a little more negative space.  Aquascapes are very much a personal preference.

That is why I did the outline should have 1/2" on the sides to play with and get a small mag cleaner around the rocks.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, dwdenny said:

That is why I did the outline should have 1/2" on the sides to play with and get a small mag cleaner around the rocks.

maybe you should see which glass cleaner you plan to use first. i think mine needs about 1.5" clearance, but some need more.

1/2” looks good on paper, but let me tell ya... Having to slide your hand(s) or tools in a space that tight is just a headache. And when you have coral placed, you have to be even more careful you don’t break/damage/knock anything off the rocks. And as coral grows and gets larger, it just gets worse lol. Then again, in pico tanks I’ve seen way more people take the approach of just letting everything take over and let the tank take care if itself lmao. Nothing wrong with that either

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, rough eye said:

maybe you should see which glass cleaner you plan to use first. i think mine needs about 1.5" clearance, but some need more.

Have the flipper pico on its way. I changed things again lol. Getting ready to put it in the tank with take some pictures shortly. 

10 minutes ago, dwdenny said:

Have the flipper pico on its way. I changed things again lol. Getting ready to put it in the tank with take some pictures shortly. 

i didn't know those existed 🙂 but just looked it up. you might need a razor blade scraper in addition to that. you can put all the rock agaisnt one wall and just let that wall get overgrown, to allow space on the other side for cleaning.

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, rough eye said:

i didn't know those existed 🙂 but just looked it up. you might need a razor blade scraper in addition to that. you can put all the rock agaisnt one wall and just let that wall get overgrown, to allow space on the other side for cleaning.

I do plan on getting a scrapper as well just in case. Waiting on water change water temp to come down put a small heater in to and it got to 83.5 😳 down to 80.5 and I keep my tank at 77. Needless to say this heater is going back to petsmart in the morning. I just thought a little betta heater would work perfectly. 

I like it. 👍

3 hours ago, dwdenny said:

I just thought a little betta heater would work perfectly. 

Aren't most of those always on (no thermostats)?  It could still work for you with a temperature controller (like an Inkbird).

• Like 1
7 hours ago, seabass said:

I like it. 👍

Aren't most of those always on (no thermostats)?  It could still work for you with a temperature controller (like an Inkbird).

I have the inkbird on my DT i just used it to heat change water no no big deal. Thought last night that I could put it in with my thermometer and just watch it and remove it when it gets to certain temp.