Coral Vue Hydros

Missing royal gramma

raiqkashif

Hi guys so my royal gramma went missing around 2 weeks ago. He wasnt looking well when i brought him in from the store, next day after settling in he was stuck to a rock and doing much better. That was pretty much the last time i saw him.

Ive constantly been doing tests and have had 0ppm ammonia for the entirety of the time. Also have a lid so i doubt he jumped out even checked the floor for him. Tried feeding mysis, kept an eye put for him but nothing should i assume hes still in the tank??Screenshot_20210323-003058_Gallery.thumb.jpg.fdd14ed1cdfe1d81979f73024016f9e3.jpg20210309_163705.thumb.jpg.7e3f54c916d48543a9e0f517cb7bbf92.jpg

I suppose that it could be hiding; but if it's not eating, I can't imagine it will last very much longer.  Maybe, more likely, is that it perished (either while hiding, or it drifted under a rock).  If you have crabs and/or nassarius snails, they can sometimes make pretty short work of consuming a dead fish.

But keep an eye out for it (maybe even when the lights are off).  Also, sometimes fish will come out to explore when the pumps are turned off.  It might still show up.

Well i have been feeding frozen mysis hoping that he would just get some wherever he's been hiding. Initially when i got him i just had 1 emerald crab and 1 blood fire shrimp after a week i added a couple hermit, nassarius and trochus snails.

Hoping he's okay lol, was the first fish i got. Added a couple of clowns some time after they've been loving their new home but cant find that little guy  😪

Hope your guy settles in well. 

I picked up a baby RG today myself.  It's my 2nd fish in 10 gallon.  Will probably stay at that level for a while. 

My guy is a really tiny little fish.  Immediately swam under a rock - but he chose a corner area I can see him for now. I'm hoping a week from now he'll be out in the column, but I have alot of flow in my small tank and the fish is quite small so may take a while.  As long as he eats all should work out in due time. 

So my RG has been 

* Between the sand and rock

* Right next to the rock 

* and squeezed in between the rock ( I have no idea how he gets into that crevice )

RG didn't come out when I fed the clown.  but when I turned the pumps back on a piece of brine shrimp went by and his head came out for a quick bite.  I may have to spot feed for a while if he keeps his current crevace.  

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, Jakesaw said:

Hope your guy settles in well. 

I picked up a baby RG today myself.  It's my 2nd fish in 10 gallon.  Will probably stay at that level for a while. 

My guy is a really tiny little fish.  Immediately swam under a rock - but he chose a corner area I can see him for now. I'm hoping a week from now he'll be out in the column, but I have alot of flow in my small tank and the fish is quite small so may take a while.  As long as he eats all should work out in due time. 

So my RG has been 

* Between the sand and rock

* Right next to the rock 

* and squeezed in between the rock ( I have no idea how he gets into that crevice )

RG didn't come out when I fed the clown.  but when I turned the pumps back on a piece of brine shrimp went by and his head came out for a quick bite.  I may have to spot feed for a while if he keeps his current crevace.  

Yeah the first day i brought him in i legit thought he would die took me a while to get home and while acclimation he wasn't moving at all. When i added him to the tank the flow was so strong he was hurled around so i quickly turned everything off for the night hoping he would recover.

Next day he was doing better even eating when i fed him even though he was just stuck to a rock lol. Didnt see him after that lol. Ive been feeding frozen mysis hoping hed get some floating uneaten chunk but praying hes still in the tank.

When I bought my royal gramma, I put him in Qt with one large live rock. the first thing he did was jam himself inside the rock (take note they are cave fish. They like to have a cave they can feel secure in) 

I freaked out and thought he was stuck. I couldn’t get him out, and he was just so scared that he would come out for anything, so he wasn’t eating. Eventually I manually got him out using a pipette to Polk at him till he swam out. (He didn’t like that very much lol.)  then I had to remove the rock completely until he started eating. Once he got used to my food and was eating ravenously, I put the rock back in, and then he came out whenever he smelled food. But if you want your fish, your probably going to have to tear apart your tank one rock at a time to find what rock crevices he’s hiding in. 

if he’s anything like my RG he will just starve to death in his safe secure little cave. 
the last thing you want is to tear the tank apart after he’s started rotting 😕😕

Day 2 RG - my fish stayed in his front corner of tank cave / area all day long. 

Come feeding time, today was small pellet day.  RGramma smelled the food and came out from hiding for first time.  first cautiously near his cave - then slowly ventured out further and further away.  

He met Clown and has peaceful interactions.  Explored the tank but couldn't figure out how to top feed, so I mixed up some Frozen brine shrimp.  Got a few bites ( 3 to be exact ) and one small pellett.

Swimming around with food in the area the gramma was still hungry but hasn't quite figured out how to eat the food today.  4 total bites - and about 7- 10 min of open swim time today.  Feels like a good day 2 for the gramma.  

When I turned the circulation pump back on RG went back to his safe space opposite the pump.  His small size may be a factor with pump.   

Tomorrow is another day. 

6 hours ago, Hazy said:

When I bought my royal gramma, I put him in Qt with one large live rock. the first thing he did was jam himself inside the rock (take note they are cave fish. They like to have a cave they can feel secure in) 

I freaked out and thought he was stuck. I couldn’t get him out, and he was just so scared that he would come out for anything, so he wasn’t eating. Eventually I manually got him out using a pipette to Polk at him till he swam out. (He didn’t like that very much lol.)  then I had to remove the rock completely until he started eating. Once he got used to my food and was eating ravenously, I put the rock back in, and then he came out whenever he smelled food. But if you want your fish, your probably going to have to tear apart your tank one rock at a time to find what rock crevices he’s hiding in. 

if he’s anything like my RG he will just starve to death in his safe secure little cave. 
the last thing you want is to tear the tank apart after he’s started rotting 😕😕

Lol hopefully that doesnt happen 😪. Been checking the ammonia religiously and still reads 0ppm. I do feed mysis once every 3 to 5 days and havent seen him around hopefully wherever he is he gets a few chunks here and there. Want to get another one but might wait on it lol. Seeding my tank with pods so i can add a mandarin goby soon, might get that before i add another gramma just to be sure hes actually gone 😓