Top Shelf Aquatics

Hanna low range phosphate tester results

Zer0

I followed the instructions exactly, and the results I got said 0.00. It wasn't blinking either, which according to the instructions would indicate that the sample absorbs less light than the zero reference. It was just a solid 0.00. Surely that can't be correct, right? I feed frozen spirulina every single day and only do a 1.5 gallon water change weekly. I have chaeto running but it's a tiny ball and I've only had it in the tank for about 2 weeks.

Should I maybe dial back the amount of light I give the chaeto? It currently gets light for around 15hours.

I'm not sure - are you asking whether you've run the test correctly?  Your tank water can certainly test "0.00 ppm" for nitrates if there are no nitrates in the water!  🥸

Does your test result contradict your past test results or is this the first time you've tested for nitrates?

Unless you figure out that you've run the test wrong (e.g. the reagents are expired, fingerprints on the glass, etc) then it sounds like you don't need the Cheato at all.

Re-run the test (correctly!).  But if the results agree with the ones posted here, then your tank just has no dissolved nitrates.  🤷‍♂️😁

(It seems normal for lots of folks starting a reef to assume, among many things, that they need to grow algae like this.  You do not need to grow algae like this.  In fact there are plenty of good reasons to avoid growing algae like this around your reef.)

• Like 1

Make sure did the test correctly. The Hanna checker is a little tricky to use initially here's the steps I follow:

1. Fill both the glass vials with 10ml of tank water.

2. Tap the reagent packet to have the powder settle at the bottom. Make 2 cuts on the reagent packet on the dotted lines. Basically your cutting of 2 sides.

3. Open the packet up and make a sharp crease along 2 of the sides. It should be easy now to pour the powder into one of the vials, cap and shake until all powder is dissolved.

4. Press the button on the checker, it will display "C1". 

5. Clean the outside of the vial with just tank water. Insert into the checker, close the lid, and press the button.

6. After a few seconds it will display "C2". Clean the 2nd vial with the reagent mixed in and insert into the checker

7. Press and hold the button unit it displays a 3 min count down!

8. After the 3 mins are up it will display your phosphate reading.

• Like 1