inTank Media Baskets

UV Sterilizer Mini.

seven237

I just purchased the Coralife UV sterilizer mini for my 32gl Biocube. After 2 days I already see a difference. Does anyone else have this. also has anyone had this much algae on a live rock and if so, how long did it take your UV sterilizer to rid your aquarium of it?

IMG_5935.jpg

The algae on rock is for a janitor.  A uv sterilizer only treats bulk water which includes algae spores & bacteria.  Looks like GHA.  

https://www.reefcleaners.org/nuisance-algae-id-guide

Green Hair Algae

hair algae 300x225 hairalgae2 300x181

Green Hair Algae or "GHA" is really a broad term that covers hundreds of species of green simple filamentous algae. These species tend to be simple, fine in texture, and have few distinguishable features. True species level identification requires a microscope.

Distinguishing it from look-a-likes: GHA is not coarse or wiry, it should break apart easily when pulled, and should lose form quickly when removed from water. If you can make out a root structure, or a stiff branching structure it is probably not GHA.

Manual Removal: Green hair algae can be pulled out easily, and tooth brushed or scrubbed off the rock work. This is easier to do if the rock is outside of the tank. If it is growing from the sand sift it out with a net.

Clean Up Crew: Assorted Hermits, Blue Legs, Florida Ceriths, Chitons, Turbograzers, Sea Hares, Conchs, Emerald Crabs, Urchins and a few others. It is readily accepted by many herbivores, but because it grows quickly it may persist even in a tank with a fair amount of cleaners.

16 hours ago, Subsea said:

The algae on rock is for a janitor.  A uv sterilizer only treats bulk water which includes algae spores & bacteria.  Looks like GHA.  

https://www.reefcleaners.org/nuisance-algae-id-guide

Green Hair Algae

hair algae 300x225 hairalgae2 300x181

Green Hair Algae or "GHA" is really a broad term that covers hundreds of species of green simple filamentous algae. These species tend to be simple, fine in texture, and have few distinguishable features. True species level identification requires a microscope.

Distinguishing it from look-a-likes: GHA is not coarse or wiry, it should break apart easily when pulled, and should lose form quickly when removed from water. If you can make out a root structure, or a stiff branching structure it is probably not GHA.

Manual Removal: Green hair algae can be pulled out easily, and tooth brushed or scrubbed off the rock work. This is easier to do if the rock is outside of the tank. If it is growing from the sand sift it out with a net.

Clean Up Crew: Assorted Hermits, Blue Legs, Florida Ceriths, Chitons, Turbograzers, Sea Hares, Conchs, Emerald Crabs, Urchins and a few others. It is readily accepted by many herbivores, but because it grows quickly it may persist even in a tank with a fair amount of cleaners.

So buying an herbivore is required, what happens it it eats all of the GHA?

22 hours ago, seven237 said:

first, the majority of GHA should be removed by hand.  You are that janitor.  Then as in anything, it’s a question of balance.   If you put too many CUC for your system, some will starve, the rest will find equilibrium with your system.

23 hours ago, seven237 said:

Once the algae is in control, you can trade or give away your excess cuc to a store or fellow hobbist.

@seven237,

The ecology of a natural reef favors algae.  If it were not for herbivores, coral reefs in the wild would be algae dominated. 

Either you are the janitor or you contract that job out to herbivores.

• Thanks 1
CookingWithCalcium

I run a UV on my build, the clarity of the water increased dramatically but I didn't have much algae so can't attest on that front. It should sterilize any free floating algae though I believe.

Yes. Grab a handful of snails (4 of them for now should be good). I have some Astrea snails. They've done one hell of job mowing the lawn in my tank. 

29 minutes ago, paulsz said:

Yes. Grab a handful of snails (4 of them for now should be good). I have some Astrea snails. They've done one hell of job mowing the lawn in my tank. 

I think 1 in my tank will suffice, I have a 32g Biocube

# of snails needs to correspond to the algae load.  It does not really relate to tank size.  

I've heard folks spec up to 2 Turbo snails per gallon.  That's a boatload of herbivores!

The key to avoid OVER stocking cleanup crew is to build your population slowly.

Starting with a small number like one is a great plan.  (I usually say up to 3, depending on the size of snails available.  Some types are quite small.  Others quite large.)   

Continue manually plucking algae out too and see if one is enough to help you get the rest.

In 3-4 weeks if you're not seeing progress, add 1-3 more snails.  Observe for another 3-4 weeks to see how things go.

Be patient.  👍

The UV can slow the spread of your algae, but at this stage of your tank you WANT things to be spreading through the water.....even algae is OK since there are mechanisms (you and the snails) to control it.  Personally I'd decommission the UV for later use.  (The UV bulb only has so many useful hours of use before it will need to be replaced.)

Running the UV will also prevent the things from spreading through the water that should replace hair algae....such as coralline algae.  UV is a slightly double edged sword in this regard.  In a more mature tank these things would matter less and UV would be fine to keep using, in theory.  UV isn't really a great tool vs hair algae in the first place though...mostly because snails (herbivores) and manual removal are HIGHLY effective.  UV is very indirect...to the point  that it doesn't even affect your target organism, which is the mature stand of algae.  The other tools at your disposal act DIRECTLY on the mature stand of algae.

Check out his method for manually pulling the algae out.  Perfect.  (Disregard most of the other advice....wouldn't apply to your tank.)  👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1