Cultivated Reef

Help with ID’ing PAR for Amazon Light

Arys

Hey,

A couple months ago I had bought this random MQUPIN brand LED light fixture off Amazon purely for the sunrise/sunset system, as I run a 29 gallon FOWLR tank and at the time had no plans of adding coral.

(45W, 30-36”)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B08DNNDQTD#Ask

Recently I’ve been thinking about adding some low-light requiring corals such as Duncan’s and Xenia, though the problem is that there is no mention of PAR anywhere in the information of the product, and I don’t want to add corals if I don’t have sufficient lighting.

Despite this, comparing it to a similar product like the 18-24” NICREW Classic LED light, which does in fact have that information.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01C84SLRO/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=tank01-20&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B0191EWII2&linkId=c88ef017175a4c7c2e91ebb713a9dd98&th=1&psc=1

It states 54 PAR @ 12” in air. (Aquarium Co-Op on YouTube tested 36 PAR in 18” in water)

Since the wattage and amount of LED bulbs of the light I currently have is drastically greater, what should I safely assume my PAR levels are at? Tank is 18” H and I appreciate any help.

xenia love light, not sure where the belief they do well in low light comes from. All my xenia were happiest and moved themselves to under light and that wasn't a under low light fixtures.

Duncans are low to moderate.

Par levels are important but so is wattage and spectrum.

Low light corals doesn't mean any light, you still need the right spectrum,decent wattage, and certain par levels.

The nicrew light will not work on corals, it barely could grow low light fw plants.

The only way to tell par levels is by using a par meter.

The light you currently have advertises for fish and plant tanks.

On 3/20/2021 at 7:52 AM, Clown79 said:

xenia love light, not sure where the belief they do well in low light comes from. All my xenia were happiest and moved themselves to under light and that wasn't a under low light fixtures.

Duncans are low to moderate.

Par levels are important but so is wattage and spectrum.

Low light corals doesn't mean any light, you still need the right spectrum,decent wattage, and certain par levels.

The nicrew light will not work on corals, it barely could grow low light fw plants.

The only way to tell par levels is by using a par meter.

The light you currently have advertises for fish and plant tanks.

What’s your opinion on this version of NICREW LEDs? This one actually advertises to be designed for corals, and the 30-36” claims a 110 PAR @ 12” in air. In addition to this, reviews show people claiming it has kept their corals thriving. (I’ll add pics of corals under this lighting left by reviews)

https://www.amazon.com/NICREW-Saltwater-Aquarium-2-Channel-Included/dp/B0819M2VQ3/ref=mp_s_a_1_15_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=light+for+coral&qid=1616369338&refinements=p_36%3A2661614011%2Cp_85%3A2470955011&rnid=2470954011&rps=1&s=pet-supplies&sprefix=light+fkr+coral&sr=1-15-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyRjFJN0ZITDVOOUpKJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUExMDE3NjUwVkNYSzVDQ0cwS1oxJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAwNzg3MjIzUzdSRVNHSTQ2OU1FJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfcGhvbmVfc2VhcmNoX2F0Zl9uZXh0JmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

2D5AEEAD-17BB-4A34-A85A-A935D4D4A2C2.jpeg

C4DBDEB5-2FAA-4C39-8D88-9924C0EEB190.jpeg

4D69C90D-A7A7-431A-AA6C-E210992759C0.jpeg

Don't know what 110 par in air means.

Par is usually determined at various levels in the tank. 

How old are the tanks and corals. Thats the 1 issue with amazon reviews. No one claims how long they kept corals alive and growing.

All those corals in the tank look very young.

It also depends on what you expect out of the light. If you like minimal control of light spectrum/settings, lots of white light, it could work.

If you expect high pop of colour, eventually getting into different types of corals, you might want to invest in another brand.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/20/2021 at 2:11 AM, Arys said:

what should I safely assume my PAR levels are at?

Two things: Don't put too much on PAR numbers, and don't assume anything.  

Instead, be empirical – measure.  Use a lux meter if that's what you can afford (costs as little as $free....a decent handheld is around $10+) or a PAR meter if you have one.  But measure with something that will give you an objective number.  (If lenses and LED emitter colors are very similar between lights, you can also compare by watts.)

Also, stick with gear designed for the purpose you have – growing corals.  If you need to save money, buy used gear.  👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
23 hours ago, mcarroll said:

Two things: Don't put too much on PAR numbers, and don't assume anything.  

Instead, be empirical – measure.  Use a lux meter if that's what you can afford (costs as little as $free....a decent handheld is around $10+) or a PAR meter if you have one.  But measure with something that will give you an objective number.  (If lenses and LED emitter colors are very similar between lights, you can also compare by watts.)

Also, stick with gear designed for the purpose you have – growing corals.  If you need to save money, buy used gear.  👍

Thanks for the help! I don’t have one myself but what do you think of this video.

It’s showing way higher levels than advertised, is it a bad meter?