ReefCleaners.org

The Tidepool Two: UK Temperate Tank

SaltyGallon

Murphs_Reef
2 hours ago, SaltyGallon said:

A couple of nice spots on the South West coast. I won't go into specifics because the beaches are busy enough lol 👍🏼

Haha never fear.. I'm far to lazy for that business... Driving to my local shop is work enough 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • 1 month later...

... Still kicking!

I've been quiet on here lately but both pico tanks are still ticking along nicely, and survived the summer heat.

A super deep clean for the no-filtration native tank today. Loads of algae pulled off the rockwork (with a gloved hand, to avoid the snakelocks' sting!) and the sandbed was thoroughly rinsed. The glass was also a real mess bar a little circle around Mr Limpet on the back wall. It was nice to see plenty of filter feeders, worms, sponges and baby anemones dotted around the rockwork. My prized snakelocks anemone is still doing well, and the other four beadlet anemones of varying colours spend their days squabbling for territory in the shadier areas. I feed the snakelocks about once a week, but I should feed it more and get it huge! There's still lots of algae on the rockwork, which I can live with until I get a chance to replenish the CUC 🙂

A few naff phone pics - I did get a clip of the snakelocks munching on some prawn but it's too big to upload.

20210928_100625.thumb.jpg.e7dcaf1f198e544998cb5210ba8a1e1c.jpg

20210928_102616.thumb.jpg.395797ea7ede8c81f232affa60a67888.jpg

... Cloudy, but clean!

20210928_101827.thumb.jpg.f22b5bd1f94ab9ff966beb539d82ccc9.jpg

• Like 6

Thanks guys. Nice and clear now, and one happy snakelocks front and centre 🙂

You can see zoomed in on the below some funky algae, the cold water equivalent of very tough GHA I guess lol - and lots of white sponge in the shady spots.

20210930_142802.thumb.jpg.70c3ae5588533541bd7637feed782564.jpg

• Like 7
  • Wow 1

Hello. Any chance you can go into detail about the wood base you built? Is that white background painted on? I like the white theme you have how did you find a white powerhead? 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/4/2021 at 2:48 PM, Alasz said:

Hello. Any chance you can go into detail about the wood base you built? Is that white background painted on? I like the white theme you have how did you find a white powerhead? 

Not much detail to be honest, it's just a piece of 12mm varnished oak cut to size. It's rectangular with a little bit left at the back/middle to which I've screwed a small upright piece to fix the light bracket onto. The powerhead is sprayed white with a 'reef safe' paint - same paint as the light 🙂 

• 4 weeks later...

... Change is coming for the tidepool two!

The OG scape is a real mess and has some crazy thick/long hair algae and white sponge covering the entire scape. The plan for this evening is to yank the old scape out, safely get the nems off and drop this new bad boy in. I had some fun knocking it up from some old rock rubble this lunch time and the plan is it will sit on the biobrick thats already in the tank, so no real concern re mini cycles etc.

The new rockwork isn't quite as edgy as the spiky branch rock but I've suspected for a little while that the spiky rock is no bueno and a friend had actually warned me about it leaching stuff, but naturally I didn't listen lol... My nutrients are in check so I will see whether a change of rockwork has any effect on the crazy fibrous algae growth... If not, back to the drawing board, but I'm not overly concerned! The livestock seem happy enough and that's the main thing. I could do with beefing up my CUC a bit but a 2hr drive to the beach just for snails doesn't seem quite worth it lol. Maybe I'll give it till the spring and think about upgrading this native tank to something bigger and better - something with more macro, hermit crabs, and maybe fishies 🙂

20211104_152517.jpg

20211104_152531.jpg

• Like 7

Hiya, 

Wanted to say how your amazing Pico(s) inspired me to get back to salt water 🙌 can't thank you enough for that.
I'll always have pleasure to follow your journey.

Keep it up.

Squid.

• Like 4
  • Wow 1
On 11/4/2021 at 9:59 PM, Squid_reef said:

Hiya, 

Wanted to say how your amazing Pico(s) inspired me to get back to salt water 🙌 can't thank you enough for that.
I'll always have pleasure to follow your journey.

Keep it up.

Squid.

Thanks for the kind words Squid. Saltwater tanks don't have to be large and complicated.. Like most things in life people just enjoy making them that way lol.

Enjoy being back in the hobby 🙂

• Like 2