Coral Vue Hydros

Where to get shells for hermits?

Zer0

I have 2 blue leg dwarf hermits, and iirc you need to have extra shells for them to swap in to as they grow larger, correct? Where can I go about getting some shells that are 100% aquarium safe, and probably should come in various sizes. I don't think I've ever looked around for shells to buy for this specific purpose lol. Maybe I could just go to my lfs and see if they have empty shells they would be willing to part with?

I bought some off of etsy. They were used for DIY projects like jewelry, I rinsed them and put them in the tank. I couldn't find cerith shells large enough so I bought some nerite snail shells. I have one hermit that switches his shell everyday. 

I also heard hobby lobby has bags shells for cheap, I don't shop there so I can't confirm.

• Like 2

i went to the dollar store and bought 2 little decorative jars of shells and boiled them in RODI water for 5 minutes. ended up with more than 20 shells for 2 bucks.

• Like 2

what i'd like to know is, as i have 2 blue leg hermits and they're pretty big - one i particular - could i add a tiny scarlet hermit without it getting eaten or killed by the others.

• 5 weeks later...
Randall S Simpson

Hermit crabs generally only fight each other for there shells or food.  If they are being feed enough and you have extra (larger) shells everything should be good.  Unless your adding a 4" crab with 2 1" crabs.

I've ordered about 100-200 shells from reefcleaners and I just ordered another 150?.  They tend to send alot of shells hermit crabs just will not use, but they are $.08 each for the small and $.20 each for the med/large so you end up with alot of waste but some really nice ones too.

If you just need 5-10 check out your LFS or E-bay and the like. So you can see what you are getting.

• Like 1