inTank Media Baskets

Help! I set up my 16-gallon Biocube yesterday and something is wrong with the pump that came with it. I currently have live rock, sand, a fluval fan, and saltwater in the tank. In the back I have media, a heater, and the pump the tank came with. I was expecting a hum noise from the pump but it is very loud. To the point we have to raise our voices to talk if we’re in the same room as the tank. It sounds like a very loud buzzing noise coming from the pump. I’ve tried moving it in the chamber and playing with the suction cups on the bottom of it and the noise still persists. Any advice on what to do or other pumps to try? 

I would remove the pump and inspect the housing and the impeller. It's possible that the impeller isn't sitting properly in the housing, or something could be lodged in there with it. I would take it out and throw it in a bucket of water and try running it in that, see if different positions produce different results.

If you have to replace it, I recommend taking a look at the Sicce lineup of nano-sized pumps. I highly recommend them, and they are not expensive.

Thanks Zer0. I took the pump out and dismantled it. Cleaned out the housing and impeller. I also shorted the tubing thinking maybe it was vibrating off the bottom.  No luck. Still just as loud. 

I will look into a different pump

How much room do you have in that section?  I replaced the stock pump in my Waterbox 10 because of the same thing.  I ended up going with this: 210 GPH Pump . Dead quiet, and was pretty cheap.  

Hope it helps!

On 3/12/2021 at 2:45 PM, Obenn said:

Thanks Zer0. I took the pump out and dismantled it. Cleaned out the housing and impeller. I also shorted the tubing thinking maybe it was vibrating off the bottom.  No luck. Still just as loud. 

I will look into a different pump

If it's new then ask for a replacement...should be under warranty.  Pumps like this do not make noise, so there's something wrong with it.