Innovative Marine Aquariums

Two new Fluval 13.5 stocking ideas

Trhodes92

Hi guys!
I just bought two new fluval evo 13.5 gallon tanks! I am basically new to saltwater but I have been in the tropical fish hobby for a few years now. I set them up with live rock (from lfs), live sand (Carib-sea) and premixed saltwater (imagitarium). I currently don’t have anything in either and will be cycling them before I put anything in them. I would like to have different fish in both. With freshwater everything seems pretty straightforward with stocking but it seems saltwater has many different opinions. Here are some fish I have picked out and I was wondering what the best combinations could be for each tank.

•Possum Wrasse
•Clown fish pair
•Purple firefish
•Yellow Clown Goby
•Tailspot Blenny 
•Yellow watchman goby and pistol shrimp duo
•Yellow belly damsel
•Pom Pom crab

I’m also not sure what I will need for a clean up crew invertebrate-wise. So any suggestions would be great! I would also like to eventually have maybe some zoas and hammers as well. Thank you guys!

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Trhodes92 said:

I’m also not sure what I will need for a clean up crew invertebrate-wise. So any suggestions would be great!

I would start with about five per tank for now, beefing it up to as many as twelve as the need arises (with mostly herbivores).  One scavenger (a nassarius snail), a couple of omnivores (like a cerith snail and a scarlet reef hermit crab), and a couple of herbivores (like trochus or astraea snails) per tank should be more than adequate to start, depending on the rock.  Maybe none, or just a single herbivore would be enough for rock with no color, keeping in mind that you will probably be only adding herbivorous snails as the tank matures.

:welcome: to Nano-Reef.com

• Thanks 1
15 hours ago, Trhodes92 said:

I was wondering what the best combinations could be for each tank.

•Possum Wrasse
•Clown fish pair
•Purple firefish
•Yellow Clown Goby
•Tailspot Blenny 
•Yellow watchman goby and pistol shrimp duo
•Yellow belly damsel
•Pom Pom crab

A mature clownfish pair would be just about all for one of the tanks. However, a single: yellow clown goby, or firefish, or tailspot blenny should be an acceptable tank mate for them.

Damsels are generally territorial, and in such a small tank, it might make life difficult on any fish tank mate.  However, it probably could be kept as the only fish in the tank.

You might match the goby/shrimp pair with the possum wrasse, or firefish.  I would probably avoid mixing the pom pom crab and pistol shrimp.

• Thanks 1

I think an ocellaris clownfish pair and a yellow clown goby are a really nice combination (maybe my favorite combination)... and in my opinion would probably be fine together in a 13.5 gallon tank. 

78564169-734F-437F-9D61-1B82FDEA36CB.thumb.jpeg.75c0a4afca8e8c937df1cdd00162f7e2.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Alternatively, one could get a pink-streaked wrasse (similar temperament and size) instead of a possum wrasse. I've had one in my Fluval Evo 13.5 for around 6(?) months now and she's been doing well. Although, she's still acting quite shy 😅; you might want to take into consideration how 'out in the open' you want your fish to be. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1